Question on Cruise Port in Lima, Peru

Sweetpea711423

Hi.  Need some help.

My husband and I are flying into Lima, Peru, the night before boarding our cruise ship.  Since our flight arrives late, we plan to stay overnight at the Wyndham Costa del Sol at the airport, and go to the ship the next day.  My understanding is that the ship will be docked in Callao, at what is really a cargo ship port, and that there is some difficulty with having taxis, etc. be able to drop passengers off at the ship itself, rather than at the entrance to the port.

Can anyone recommend a car service that would be able to pick us up at the hotel and drive us to the ship at the port?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I don't believe that any taxis or other transport can deliver you right to the ship.  There will be buses or shuttles at the gate to the port to take passengers to the ship.

It definitely is a cargo port.  Walking is also not possible, as far as I know.  But, it was no trouble taking the shuttles, except of course for moving luggage.

On 6/6/2023 at 2:40 AM, Sweetpea711423 said:

My understanding is that the ship will be docked in Callao, at what is really a cargo ship port, and that there is some difficulty with having taxis, etc. be able to drop passengers off at the ship itself, rather than at the entrance to the port.

Unless there have been very recent changes, probably best to expect that you cannot drive directly to the ship as the area is too unsafe. As you will be starting there and others probably ending there, your cruiseline will probably have made arrangements for safe transfers.You should be contacted by your cruiseline with current arrangements or you could contact them to ask. Or ask on your Roll Call if anyone already knows what these might be.

Some previous threads you might find interesting to read. there will be others if you use the SEARCH option to find them.

(Ignore subject line on the second one).

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2886479-callao-peru/#comment-64109587

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2906813-where-might-i-buy-wine-near-port-in-lima/#comment-64629972

Edited by edinburgher

On 8/3/2023 at 6:57 AM, edinburgher said:

Unless there have been very recent changes, probably best to expect that you cannot drive directly to the ship as the area is too unsafe. As you will be starting there and others probably ending there, your cruiseline will probably have made arrangements for safe transfers.You should be contacted by your cruiseline with current arrangements or you could contact them to ask. Or ask on your Roll Call if anyone already knows what these might be.

Some previous threads you might find interesting to read. there will be others if you use the SEARCH option to find them.

(Ignore subject line on the second one).

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2886479-callao-peru/#comment-64109587

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2906813-where-might-i-buy-wine-near-port-in-lima/#comment-64629972

Many thanks for all of your useful information.  Appreciated!

We were in Lima in March and used Taxidatum car service from the airport to our hotel as well as from the hotel to the port.  The service was good and very reasonably priced.  The transfer to the port was not what we expected, we were driven to a drop off point and transferred to a bus which took us to the ship.  The bus portion of the transfer was very slow due to traffic, but we were safely delivered to the ship.  We did not see regular taxis past the port entrance to the ship.