Edge main dining details ?

Bluemoose

we'll be first time on Edge next spring, but 10 previous Celebrity cruises....  I understand there's 4 different main dining rooms, all with different themes, Italian, Med, French etc...  do you need to pre-book or reserve for each evening, or just walk up anytime ?  is there a line up for these dining rooms ?  obviously, different tables and wait staff I would assume ?   in the past, we preferred the standard "fixed" dining arrangements, so this will be a different experience !  cheers

We did the Edge in Feb and really enjoyed it.  We had anytime dining but we prebooked all our dining online.  We tried all 4 of the MDR as well as a few specialty restos.  You don't have to pre-book if you have anytime dining, you can just show up.  The menu is the same in each of the 4 MDR with the exception of a few "exclusive items" offered in each of the 4.  You can see sample menus online to give you an idea.  We will be on the Edge again next year and have already booked all of our dining 🙂  Not necessary, but I enjoy the planning 🙂

I always make reservations so I know I’ll be able to dine when I want. On our recent Millennium cruise (last wee) there was anywhere from a 2 min wait to over an hour for those without reservations.

We were on Edge in March and Equinox in February. We had Select Dining on both. I tried to book dining times in advance for both about 2 months in advance, but only very early or very late times were available. We like to eat 7 - 7:30. On Equinox, we had to wait in line at the MDR every night. Sometimes the waits were short (5 - 10 minutes) and other times pretty long. We waited over 45 minutes one night. 

On Edge, we were able to book dining times once we got on board through the app. Suddenly a bunch of dining times were available. There was never a wait at any of the dining rooms. However, a couple of nights we didn't use the reservations - just walked up to another one of the restaurants (reserved Tuscan but went to Cyprus instead) and got in right away. There's a short line to check in but then you are seated right away. So I don't think it matters whether you have reservations or not.