Sailing NCL out of NYC. JFK, LaGuardia or Newark aiport?

Cyn874

I'm not familiar with the NY area at all. It looks like all three airports are in close proximity going by the map, but I have no idea the logistics of taking a cab. I will likely be staying the night before in NYC. I haven't settled on a hotel just yet because I want to figure out which is the most logical airport to fly into. 

50 minutes ago, Cyn874 said:

I haven't settled on a hotel just yet because I want to figure out which is the most logical airport to fly into.

You should look for the best priced, least complicated flight option into New York. Sure, LGA is closer to Manhattan than EWR and JFK, but if you can find a direct flight into EWR or JFK vs a connection to fly into LGA it will simplify your day. I wouldn't worry too much about the airport in this case-- look for the best flights. 

Taxis and Ubers are easy to get from all three to get into Manhattan. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

[I]t looks like all three are direct flights and exactly the same price, so I guess I will fly into LGA.

A reasonable decision. Some people like arranging their ground transportation in advance. Generally, I find it more troublesome trying to connect with a specific for-hire vehicle and driver--particularly when the time of arrival and checked baggage is not always precise--and it is convenient to simply board a bus or taxi at the airport when ready to do so. No advance reservation, no commitment, ready when you are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

A reasonable decision. Some people like arranging their ground transportation in advance. Generally, I find it more troublesome trying to connect with a specific for-hire vehicle and driver--particularly when the time of arrival and checked baggage is not always precise--and it is convenient to simply board a bus or taxi at the airport when ready to do so. No advance reservation, no commitment, ready when you are.

Are all taxi cabs a good option, or is there something we non- New Yorkers need to be aware of?

(We will be flying into JFK.)

10 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Are all taxi cabs a good option, or is there something we non- New Yorkers need to be aware of?

I am not quite sure I understand what is being asked. If you're asking if all yellow taxis are the same, then the answer is that there are multiple vehicle types of yellow taxis, and only some are accessible for people with disabilities, but the rates are the same for all. If you're asking if there are options other than yellow taxis, then yes, there are multiple options. From JFK, other hired car options include black cars and TNC vehicles, and all require prearrangement through a base station or an app. There are also public transportation options, including several bus routes and the AirTrain system, all of which connect with subways or commuter trains into Manhattan and elsewhere. Might you be asking something else?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Taxis are regulated, safe, and easy. The major advantage from JFK is that NYC taxis have a flat rate into Manhattan ($70+fees). Uber/Lyft typically will be slightly nicer vehicles overall but you won't have the flat rate and it could be more if you hit substantial traffic. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GTJ said:

I am not quite sure I understand what is being asked. If you're asking if all yellow taxis are the same, then the answer is that there are multiple vehicle types of yellow taxis, and only some are accessible for people with disabilities, but the rates are the same for all. If you're asking if there are options other than yellow taxis, then yes, there are multiple options. From JFK, other hired car options include black cars and TNC vehicles, and all require prearrangement through a base station or an app. There are also public transportation options, including several bus routes and the AirTrain system, all of which connect with subways or commuter trains into Manhattan and elsewhere. Might you be asking something else?

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Taxis are regulated, safe, and easy. The major advantage from JFK is that NYC taxis have a flat rate into Manhattan ($70+fees). Uber/Lyft typically will be slightly nicer vehicles overall but you won't have the flat rate and it could be more if you hit substantial traffic. 

Much thanks to you both!   

We have been wondering about whether to use a taxi or scheduling a car service like Dial 7.   It sounds like either option would be comfortable for us.  

Good to know Taxis are regulated and there is a flat rate from JFK to Manhattan.  We will be staying at Ink48 close to the pier.

4 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

We have been wondering about whether to use a taxi or scheduling a car service like Dial 7. It sounds like either option would be comfortable for us.  

Good to know Taxis are regulated and there is a flat rate from JFK to Manhattan.

I prefer the flexibility of not having a prearrangement, and not having to search for one particular hired car. Others do like the perceived security of having all their transportation arranged in advance.

Most municipalities regulate their taxi services, and so New York is not unusual in this respect. But it is a large and important industry, well used by many, so New York does have stronger taxi regulation than most municipalities. Yellow taxis are usually the least expensive type of hired car for most trips.

• Thanks 1

Dial 7 is fantastic!  Easy to find and when we came back, and disembarked, they were right there waiting for us!  We had no wait going to the airport!  Loved it and their vehicles were super nice - big black SUV's!

Edited by SuiteTraveler
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SuiteTraveler said:

Dial 7 is fantastic!  Easy to find and when we came back, and disembarked, they were right there waiting for us!  We had no wait going to the airport!  Loved it and their vehicles were super nice - big black SUV's!

Keep in mind that Dial 7 does not own any vehicles, does not employ any drivers, and does not provide any transportation. It is a base: it arranges for transportation that is provided by others. More information is provided at the TLC website: http://www.nyc.gov/site/tlc/businesses/for-hire-vehicle-bases.page.

• Thanks 1