Smoke in New York City

GTJ

The smoke from the fires in Canada is absolutely awful in New York City right now. From my apartment in Flushing, Queens, at 2:00 p.m., it is dark, like an slightly-orange colored heavy fog. Awful smell, and a hazard to be outside. I am sorry for those persons arriving in New York City now for their cruise, as your time here will not be pleasant, with authorities urging people to stay inside. It seems unclear (no pun intend) if things will clear up by this weekend. I have never seen outside as bad as I am seeing it right now. The picture below, from NY1, understates the situation.

air_quality_nyc_ny1_0607

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Looks pretty bad.

It has lifted slightly over the past hour, and I can now see the apartment buildings across the street. The orange tint has dissipated a bit. But still not good, and our air has now been deemed to be hazardous to all. Everyone should be inside. Weekend events are being cancelled. Airports are having flight delays and cancellations.

The Viking Saturn is departing Manhattan today, and over the next few days there will be departures on the Oasis of the Seas (Friday from Bayonne), Liberty of the Seas (Saturday from Bayonne)Celebrity Summit (Sunday from Bayonne), MSC Meraviglia (Sunday from Brooklyn), and Norwegian Joy (Sunday from Manhattan). Not good for the passengers on any of these vessels.

Visitors to our city these next few days may want to consider staying in their hotel rooms instead of venturing out.

Hi all,

we are due to arrive tomorrow from Manchester and are really worried and upset,

We have our 3 year old with us for our honeymoon. First time in New York for 3 nights, and cruising the Meraviglia on Sunday.

We called our hotel and they’ve not been helpful, but we won’t have time to go out and find FFP2 masks before our flight tomorrow. Are they easy to come by? Will they have ones for toddlers?

she has gone to bed so excited after 18 months of waiting to go to see the statue and all our itinerary is out the window.

please can someone advise on the masks? We aren’t sure what we can book or do indoors with her now either.

thanks

Natalie 

Any pharmacy should have decent masks, and there are pharmacies all over. Also, all fire  and police stations are supposedly giving out masks for free.  If you are staying in NYC there will be a pharmacy,  a fire station and a police station within walking distance.   Your hotel might be giving them out. And check the airport on your way here. Not sure about masks for your daughter, but I've seen people tie knots around the ear loops to shorten them for kids. 

The good news is that they are reporting today is the worst day.  Tomorrow will reportedly be slightly better, and Friday even better (chance of rain).  Many outdoor activities were shut early today (like the zoos) so check before you go. Indoors - Museum of Natural History and the Children's Museum might be appropriate.  Good luck to you. 

8 hours ago, Cruisenewbie2023 said:

we are due to arrive tomorrow from Manchester and are really worried and upset * * * First time in New York for 3 nights, and cruising the Meraviglia on Sunday. * * * [Our daughter] has gone to bed so excited after 18 months of waiting to go to see the statue and all our itinerary is out the window.

What a terrible situation for you and all the others anticipating a departure from New York these next few days. If Sunday were to be as it was on Wednesday, then the statue might not be visible but for a shadow. Hopefully that will not be the case. But when arriving on Thursday do listen to the news to ascertain weather conditions and whether it will be safe or not to be outside.

cityhall_airquality_FyCn4uqWIBs3ZLB_NY1

8 hours ago, JFontaine said:

Any pharmacy should have decent masks, and there are pharmacies all over. Also, all fire  and police stations are supposedly giving out masks for free.  If you are staying in NYC there will be a pharmacy,  a fire station and a police station within walking distance.   Your hotel might be giving them out. And check the airport on your way here. Not sure about masks for your daughter, but I've seen people tie knots around the ear loops to shorten them for kids. 

The good news is that they are reporting today is the worst day.  Tomorrow will reportedly be slightly better, and Friday even better (chance of rain).  Many outdoor activities were shut early today (like the zoos) so check before you go. Indoors - Museum of Natural History and the Children's Museum might be appropriate.  Good luck to you. 

Hi,

thank you so much, we will make sure to look at those places, the hotel weren’t helpful and said they didn’t have any, thank you that’s a good idea about the knots. I don’t know if she will keep one on as she is only young but I’m worried for her health so want to try. 

Thanks you for the children’s museum suggestion, we will take a look, and I have managed to book the natural

history museum for tomorrow so at least we have that x 

8 hours ago, JFontaine said:

The good news is that they are reporting today is the worst day.  Tomorrow will reportedly be slightly better, and Friday even better (chance of rain).

Earlier Mayor Adams had state that Thursday will be worse than Wednesday. I hope you're prediction will be accurate.

We're having an out-of-town guest from Idaho this weekend, and I am hoping that we will actually be able to go around the city on Sunday. Our plan is: arrive via LIRR to Grand Central Terminal, walk uptown to Bloomingdale's, tram to Roosevelt Island, sightsee on foot and on red bus, NYC Ferry from Roosevelt Island to Pier 11, then onward to Rockaway Park, sightsee on beach and boardwalk, Q35 bus over Marine Parkway Bridge, visit old neighborhood (Midwood) and maybe Di Fara (or maybe a place I just heard about recently, Wheated (Flatbush), bus or subway to downtown Brooklyn, maybe Brooklyn Heights promenade above BQE, then either subway to Jamaica ("A" to East N.Y., then elevated "J" to Jamaica) and LIRR, or LIRR direct from Atlantic Terminal. A busy day, largely off the tourist circuit, but clear weather needed to make it worthwhile!

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My part of NY was dark like night at 3PM

It was eerie. Will there be an encore on Thursday?

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

Earlier Mayor Adams had state that Thursday will be worse than Wednesday. I hope you're prediction will be accurate.

We're having an out-of-town guest from Idaho this weekend, and I am hoping that we will actually be able to go around the city on Sunday. Our plan is: arrive via LIRR to Grand Central Terminal, walk uptown to Bloomingdale's, tram to Roosevelt Island, sightsee on foot and on red bus, NYC Ferry from Roosevelt Island to Pier 11, then onward to Rockaway Park, sightsee on beach and boardwalk, Q35 bus over Marine Parkway Bridge, visit old neighborhood (Midwood) and maybe Di Fara (or maybe a place I just heard about recently, Wheated (Flatbush), bus or subway to downtown Brooklyn, maybe Brooklyn Heights promenade above BQE, then either subway to Jamaica ("A" to East N.Y., then elevated "J" to Jamaica) and LIRR, or LIRR direct from Atlantic Terminal. A busy day, largely off the tourist circuit, but clear weather needed to make it worthwhile!

Your plan for Sunday is aggressive.   It would kill me!  Did you check the ferry schedule to Rockaway - it's only a few times per day, and I think it is a 40 plus minute trip)?  I belong to a beach club in Breezy Point (and I'm a Madison High School grad).  If you wanted to shorten this somewhat,  consider the subway to Coney Island, walk the boardwalk and Nathan's. Restrooms are in short supply. Have fun. 

2 hours ago, Cruisenewbie2023 said:

Hi,

thank you so much, we will make sure to look at those places, the hotel weren’t helpful and said they didn’t have any, thank you that’s a good idea about the knots. I don’t know if she will keep one on as she is only young but I’m worried for her health so want to try. 

Thanks you for the children’s museum suggestion, we will take a look, and I have managed to book the natural

history museum for tomorrow so at least we have that x 

The Museum of Natural History is huge and will surely tucker her out. It is across the street from Central Park at West 79 Street. If you walk down to West 72nd Street you can see the famous Strawberry Fields and the Imagine sign. It is less than a ten minute walk.  Unfortunately for you NYC schools are closed tomorrow (pre-planned teacher work day, not related to smoke), and the museum will likely be crowded. Make sure to stop at the museum Cafe, it is a neat spot.  Weather reports continue to show some improvement for Friday, and better still on Saturday and Sunday.  Expect flight delays today. 

Edited by JFontaine

11 hours ago, GTJ said:

Re your post above to the other person .Did you go to Midwood Hs ? Just curious since you posted that Midwood is your old neighborhood.A friend of mine taught there from 1966 to 2003.

I have another friend who lived at 1302 Ave,K .

9 hours ago, JFontaine said:

Your plan for Sunday is aggressive. It would kill me! Did you check the ferry schedule to Rockaway - it's only a few times per day, and I think it is a 40 plus minute trip)?  I belong to a beach club in Breezy Point (and I'm a Madison High School grad).  If you wanted to shorten this somewhat,  consider the subway to Coney Island, walk the boardwalk and Nathan's. Restrooms are in short supply. Have fun. 

Aggressive for some, but doable. The Rockaway ferry operates hourly, and I am less concerned over timing than I am with too long of a queue for making the transfer at Pier 11. We've all taken the subway to Coney Island many times in the past, and so that's nothing new. The route I've laid out is largely new.

55 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Did you go to Midwood Hs ? Just curious since you posted that Midwood is your old neighborhood.A friend of mine taught there from 1966 to 2003. I have another friend who lived at 1302 Ave,K .

This is my aunt who is visiting. She lived with my grandmother at 953 East 15th Street, just above Avenue J and backing up to the Brighton Beach train tracks (QB and QJ) throughout the mid-1960s. I don't know specifically if she attended Midwood H.S., but would have been in the class of 1966.

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

Aggressive for some, but doable. The Rockaway ferry operates hourly, and I am less concerned over timing than I am with too long of a queue for making the transfer at Pier 11. We've all taken the subway to Coney Island many times in the past, and so that's nothing new. The route I've laid out is largely new.

This is my aunt who is visiting. She lived with my grandmother at 953 East 15th Street, just above Avenue J and backing up to the Brighton Beach train tracks (QB and QJ) throughout the mid-1960s. I don't know specifically if she attended Midwood H.S., but would have been in the class of 1966.

My friend started teaching there in September 1966.My parents had friends living on E. 16 St and Ave. J.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFontaine said:

That's the D train for us old timers. 

When I was a kid there was nothing better that taking the BMT from Prospect Park Station to Brighton Beach and seeing the boardwalk and beach as the train approached the Brighton Beach Station on a sunny summer day.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JFontaine said:

Your plan for Sunday is aggressive.   It would kill me!  Did you check the ferry schedule to Rockaway - it's only a few times per day, and I think it is a 40 plus minute trip)?  I belong to a beach club in Breezy Point (and I'm a Madison High School grad).  If you wanted to shorten this somewhat,  consider the subway to Coney Island, walk the boardwalk and Nathan's. Restrooms are in short supply. Have fun. 

We have friends living in Breezy Point.I believe the beach club you are referring to was where a movie was filmed with Matt Dillion.

I have friends who graduated Madison .I went to Wingate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JFontaine said:

That's the D train for us old timers. 

Sort of. Avenue J is a local station. From what I remember in the late 1960s: During the week, the QJ would operate there, and run to 168th Street, Jamaica, via the Nassau Street subway in lower Manhattan; the QB operated during rush hours to 57th Street via the Manhattan Bridge and Broadway express tracks. The D train operated on the express tracks during the week, and would not stop at Avenue J; but nights and weekends, when the QJ was not operate, the D train operated on the local tracks, and stopped at Avenue J. Like the QB, the D would also go over the Manhattan Bridge, but would then switch over to the IND, using the Chrystie Street connection and the Sixth Avenue express tracks to the Bronx. In 1973, the Jamaica and Myrtle Avenue services were swapped, and so instead of the QJ train we started having the M train at Avenue J (but the QB and D trains continued as before). In the early 1960s, immediately before the Chrystie Street connection opened, the express service was the Q train, and also did not stop at Avenue J; while the Nassau Street service was the QT. Now, of course, the Q train runs locally, stopping at Avenue J, and it is the B train that operates express.

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My friend started teaching there in September 1966.My parents had friends living on E. 16 St and Ave. J.

So my aunt would have just missed your friend teaching there! But she might have seen your parents' friends, from the back window, looking out over the train tracks. I still remember that view well. Alas, my grandmother later moved to Beverley Road, and no longer had the trains running in the back.

14 hours ago, GTJ said:

Sort of. Avenue J is a local station. From what I remember in the late 1960s: During the week, the QJ would operate there, and run to 168th Street, Jamaica, via the Nassau Street subway in lower Manhattan; the QB operated during rush hours to 57th Street via the Manhattan Bridge and Broadway express tracks. The D train operated on the express tracks during the week, and would not stop at Avenue J; but nights and weekends, when the QJ was not operate, the D train operated on the local tracks, and stopped at Avenue J. Like the QB, the D would also go over the Manhattan Bridge, but would then switch over to the IND, using the Chrystie Street connection and the Sixth Avenue express tracks to the Bronx. In 1973, the Jamaica and Myrtle Avenue services were swapped, and so instead of the QJ train we started having the M train at Avenue J (but the QB and D trains continued as before). In the early 1960s, immediately before the Chrystie Street connection opened, the express service was the Q train, and also did not stop at Avenue J; while the Nassau Street service was the QT. Now, of course, the Q train runs locally, stopping at Avenue J, and it is the B train that operates express.

So my aunt would have just missed your friend teaching there! But she might have seen your parents' friends, from the back window, looking out over the train tracks. I still remember that view well. Alas, my grandmother later moved to Beverley Road, and no longer had the trains running in the back.

I remember the large drug store on Ave.J near E. 16 St.Also there was a library on E.15,16 or 17 near the corner of Ave.J.

• Like 1