Spirit NB from Vancouver: does it always go up the west side of Vancouver Island?

quack2

Just noticed that the Spirit is currently heading north up the west side of Vancouver Island.  Is that typical?  All other Vancouver cruises I've done have gone up the scenic, sheltered east side.

18 minutes ago, quack2 said:

Just noticed that the Spirit is currently heading north up the west side of Vancouver Island.  Is that typical?  All other Vancouver cruises I've done have gone up the scenic, sheltered east side.

Yes, all inside passages for the Spirit have been canceled. All at Sea now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdc987 said:

Yes, all inside passages for the Spirit have been canceled. All at Sea now.

Well, that got by me when I booked my June 21 cruise.   NCL cancelling the inside passage would have caused my to rethink my itinerary.  Not pleased.

The map on my online reservation and on the NCL website still shows an inside passage departure.  I guess they haven't updated the map.  Pretty misleading to be selling an inside passage cruise when it isn't one.

It seems that calling this an "At Sea" day doesn't really address which side of Vancouver Island the ship sails on.  The whole day is At Sea on the way to Icy Strait.

Edited by quack2

Heard on the ship, that due to waste water holding tank capacity and presumably new dumping/emission rules, they are route limited.  I have read that other Coast routes (Amalfi) were also canceled.  I think the older technology on this ship now has emission limitations.   I was burned as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Does anyone know why this change was made?

I was on a Spirit sailing last month and someone asked this question to the Captain during the Q&A.  From what I recall, the Captain said there is a speed limit of 7 knots or so in that part of the inside passage (to limit the impact if they were to accidentally hit a whale) and based on the planned arrival time at Icy Straight Point, there was no way the original itinerary was actually possible. They can sail at 20-21 knots when in the open ocean.

i have to agree with the captain in that the Jewel goes to Ketchikan first which is a much shorter sail that ISP and things like the Seymore Narrows and Johnstone Strait limit the overall speed. In looking at their track, they stay in Canadian waters so that blows the emissions theory. 

• Like 1

Here’s our itinerary for the southbound journey on the Spirit this summer.  I’m assuming we will also sail down the west side of Haida Gwaii and Vancouver Island since it says Sea Day instead of Inside Passage.

Edited by YVRteacher

17 hours ago, yankprintster said:

I was on a Spirit sailing last month and someone asked this question to the Captain during the Q&A.  From what I recall, the Captain said there is a speed limit of 7 knots or so in that part of the inside passage (to limit the impact if they were to accidentally hit a whale) and based on the planned arrival time at Icy Straight Point, there was no way the original itinerary was actually possible. They can sail at 20-21 knots when in the open ocean.

That's the first explanation that makes some sense.  When the Spirit returns to Vancouver on June 21, we can confirm the theory since she will be coming from Ketchikan two days prior. 

Here is the map of the Jewel’s northbound journey and part of the itinerary that shows cruising the Inside Passage.  (This is for our annual trip on the Jewel to Alaska next year.)

IMG_4080.png

12 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

How’s your cruise so far?

Great so far. This is the second leg 🦵 of our two b2b cruises. I might do a mini review when we get home.

Bottom line, we were very glad to have started our vacation in Alaska rather than in Vancouver. We loved Seward.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Here is the map of the Jewel’s northbound journey and part of the itinerary that shows cruising the Inside Passage.  (This is for our annual trip on the Jewel to Alaska next year.)

IMG_4080.png

That looks like a great itinerary!  Both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, with the inside passage as well.  

Consider booking it!!

IMO, the Jewel has the best itinerary out of all the Alaska cruises (not including the ones that go to and from Hawaii!) There are long and sensible port times, Inside Passage, usually 2 glacier viewing days north and Icy Strait Point on the southbound trip.  Doing a two week back to back is the way to go.

My first time on the Spirit is coming up in 3 weeks and I’m so excited for Valdez. If anyone else has the Spirit booked for Alaska, consider following Discover Valdez on Instagram.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Consider booking it!!

IMO, the Jewel has the best itinerary out of all the Alaska cruises (not including the ones that go to and from Hawaii!) There are long and sensible port times, Inside Passage, usually 2 glacier viewing days north and Icy Strait Point on the southbound trip.  Doing a two week back to back is the way to go.

My first time on the Spirit is coming up in 3 weeks and I’m so excited for Valdez. If anyone else has the Spirit booked for Alaska, consider following Discover Valdez on Instagram.  

I'll have to do that as a B2B someday.  This Summer we're planning a ten day including Hubbard glacier (first time for us).  Next Summer has us targeting the HI to AK 16 day Spirit (I know we've previously discussed this), so probably another year.  I'm also looking at an early Spring 2024 AK B2B again (because this year's was just so darned much fun!😁), but that would likely be the more generic Breakaway+ sailings.

• Like 1