ABC Islands

My favorite is Bonaire.  We have since been back twice for land vacations,

Bonaire excursion with Woodwind.  https://www.woodwindbonaire.com/  

Aruba take the local bus to Boca Catalina for DIY snorkeling.  (No equipment rentals or beach chairs at this beach) /arubus.com

Curacao we also DIY local bus to The Dive Bus dive shop they used to list a snorkel package on website, it is no longer on website, but if this interests you just email them.  WE use their lockers and snorkel at their house reef. http://www.thedivebus.com/

There's also a sunken tugboat that you can snorkel, we've done this through a ship's excursion.  This is a different location than the dive bus.

Edited by topspot
added info
  • Like 1

If you're doing a land vacation in Bonaire, does anyone have a favorite resort? I booked my family at Buddy Dive for December, but I'm seeing some not-so-favorable recent reviews and wondering if I should switch. 

@Sigyn

I've not stayed at Buddy Dive, but a group from here stayed with them about a year ago and were happy.  It's always hard to figure whether on-line reviews are valid or not.

I'm leaving for Bonaire in 2 weeks, and we'll be staying in a condo, and getting an unlimited tank package from Dive Friends.  We just use our rental truck to go all over, and thus don't need to worry about any resort facilities, or dive guide issues.  I don't know of other lodging option s that would be great.  I've stayed at the Courtyard hotel, and it was nice enough, but it's not on the water, and not someplace I'd recommend as a first choice. 

Harris

Denver, CO

We've been to Bonaire only twice and both times were by cruise ship. During our second visit, we used Dive Friends and were very pleased with them.  They have several locations throughout the island and one of them was right by the cruise pier.  Each location had lodging.

E7D6663F-85FF-4DA1-B962-8301BA618985.thu

1 hour ago, Cruisingirl2012 said:

Anytime you have snorkeled in Bonaire, were the waters calm or mostly wavy?

There is always a current in Boniare, so its a drift snorkel.  The only time I felt it was wavy was one day when we snorkeled at the salt pier on our own.    If you go with Woodwind or any of the others like Sea Cow, they will  check the current and take you to a place where it is not too strong before they let you get off of the boat and into the water.

Post #8 above has a picture with someone in dive gear near the cruise ship.  This is Chachacha Beach.  It is usually not wavy there, but you will drift with the current here.  It is possible to snorkel here.  There are fish around the rocks, but no coral, and there is also some boat traffic from divi dive which is a little further past the ship.

Edited by topspot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, topspot said:

There is always a current in Boniare, so its a drift snorkel.  The only time I felt it was wavy was one day when we snorkeled at the salt pier on our own.    If you go with Woodwind or any of the others like Sea Cow, they will  check the current and take you to a place where it is not too strong before they let you get off of the boat and into the water.

Post #8 above has a picture with someone in dive gear near the cruise ship.  This is Chachacha Beach.  It is usually not wavy there, but you will drift with the current here.  It is possible to snorkel here.  There are fish around the rocks, but no coral, and there is also some boat traffic from divi dive which is a little further past the ship.

You are right about the location of that photo (my daughter is pictured).  Diving was ok there.  Dive Friends later took us to the Cliff dive site which was better.

A few years earlier we dove Bonaire and this was my favorite dive, I presume you will recognize the location:

image.thumb.jpeg.01c0c0da34eb0bd2521477ac00917f01.jpeg