This Summer YYZ

Dancer Bob

The Airport Authority has promised that this summer, YYZ will not be the worst airport on the planet.  But at 19.30 last Friday, hardly a peak arrival time, had a 10-minute Customs hold on the aircraft due to congestion. And several people had problems with the NEXUS machines not reading their cards, as well as several machines out of order.

Edited by Dancer Bob

Ugh…we always try to avoid Toronto airport. Either we pick via Montreal or Calgary as we live in Vancouver area.  We have also told any of our friends from the USA coming to see us to avoid Toronto airport.

4 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

The Airport Authority has promised that this summer, YYZ will not be the worst airport on the planet.  But at 19.30 last Friday, hardly a peak arrival time, had a 10-minute Customs hold on the aircraft due to congestion. And several people had problems with the NEXUS machines not reading their cards, as well as several machines out of order.

Had exactly this happen to us returning into YUL a few days ago. Those few of us in the NEXUS lane gave up on the terminals and walked up to the CBSA Agent at the desk and handed him our cards. He filled in a yellow piece of paper with our details and waved us through. It seems non-functioning NEXUS terminals are something they are familiar with.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

Not much the airport authority can do about CBSA staffing and equipment.

My card has not actively been "read" by the Nexus machines in the last 3-4 years.  I try then just walk to the agent handling Nexus and say that it does not read and they hand me a manual yellow form.  Quick and efficient and no worries.  I don't even think about it anymore.

We came through yesterday (Saturday mid-day) and there were no real delays or issues. We did Arrivecan before arriving and were then in the "express"  line but even without it, the line for non-Nexus and non-completed Arrivican did not seem bad.

6 hours ago, rodndonna said:

We came through yesterday (Saturday mid-day) and there were no real delays or issues. We did Arrivecan before arriving and were then in the "express"  line but even without it, the line for non-Nexus and non-completed Arrivican did not seem bad.

I have also gotten in the habit of always doing the Arrivecan app.  Having the express arrivecan lane helps when it is busy.  When it is not busy as you say it does not matter. 

I'm sure it's obvious to most folks, but if you have NEXUS, doing Arrivecan is a waste of time. On our return to YUL a few days ago, the NEXUS terminals were down so we walked up to a surprisingly friendly and chatty CBSA agent. After handing him our cards, I mentioned in passing that I had done the Arrivecan, and he proceeded to give me hell, albeit in a friendly, joking way, that if you have NEXUS, you do not have to bother with Arrivecan.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I'm sure it's obvious to most folks, but if you have NEXUS, doing Arrivecan is a waste of time. On our return to YUL a few days ago, the NEXUS terminals were down so we walked up to a surprisingly friendly and chatty CBSA agent. After handing him our cards, I mentioned in passing that I had done the Arrivecan, and he proceeded to give me hell, albeit in a friendly, joking way, that if you have NEXUS, you do not have to bother with Arrivecan.

That is the same with the American MPC app,

if you have Nexus it doesn’t  help to fill in the MPC app 

• Like 2

I've encountered several times the machines not able to read my Nexus card.  Sometimes I try another machine, then it works.  But if two machines don't work, we then walk to the CBSA agent.

We also haven't filled out ArriveCan app any more.

I don't think I've ever had to wait very long in the NEXUS line. My last trip (granted this was in October) I think it took my wife and I a minute total on the machines. 

However, this was T1, and none of that mattered because we still had to wait for Air Canada to get our luggage to the claim area. 

On 6/10/2023 at 2:27 PM, lx200gps said:

Had exactly this happen to us returning into YUL a few days ago. Those few of us in the NEXUS lane gave up on the terminals and walked up to the CBSA Agent at the desk and handed him our cards. He filled in a yellow piece of paper with our details and waved us through. It seems non-functioning NEXUS terminals are something they are familiar with.

Same for us a couple of weeks ago coming through YUL.