Notes from Queen Mary 2 to the Med (& back)

Host Hattie

We stayed in our favourite New Forest hotel, our check in time was 1.30 and the taxi company had recommended a 12.30 pick-up. The driver was a little early and because of bad traffic on his outbound journey took us back through the forest to rejoin the road to Southampton. We got to the terminal just before 1, there were no queues and we were directed to the Priority check in line and then straight through to the security line. This was the longest bit of the process but we were onboard ordering lunch in the Golden Lion by 1.30.

By the time we got back to the cabin all our luggage had arrived and we unpacked. No Pol AKer and we left the replacement for another day. It was a glorious afternoon so we went to the Terrace Pool for sailaway, a canny barman managed to sell Mr HH a bottle of Prosecco !

After dressing for a Smart Attire evening we went to the Champagne Bar, 2 glasses of pink champagne and some warm canapes went down very well. 

We’d requested late sitting dinner on a table for 6 so we were a but puzzled when our seating assignment sent us to Deck 3. We had to wait a few minutes for those who were on open dining to be shown to a table and were taken to a table for 2 right at the back of the restaurant. It was right by a window which was a nice surprise but otherwise wasn’t really what we’d asked for. The table for 2 very close to us was empty so we might get company tomorrow. Dinner was fine, crab and shrimp starter and pork for main course. The sommelier managed to find us in time for us to get wine with our mains and at least we have some for tomorrow.

The show was Indigo May, a pair of female singers, one of whom lives in the same village as us so we felt we should go along to support. There was plenty of room in the theatre and waiter service.

We called it a night after the show.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

At sea June 10th

We'd ordered room service breakfast and I was fast asleep when it arrived. 

We managed to get organised and to The Royal Court theatre for the 11am lecture/sales pitch on the Royal Navy. 

We went to the Britannia restaurant for lunch, table for 2, no queue and then back to the cabin for what Mr HH had promised was sun on the balcony! The clouds had other ideas so we watched a film then I had a nap and he booked himself into the planetarium via My Voyage.

We're sharing a 24hr essentials package via Bluetooth from my phone and have been able to read emails, WhatsApp messages and post to social media. 

We're getting ready for Black and White night.

Screenshot_20230610_102900_Chrome.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks HH,

The activities list looks awesome. It also sounds like the new Starlink wifi system is a big improvement.

A few of questions please:

Did you see any evidence that passengers arriving before their boarding time were being kept out of the building?

Is there a planned CC gathering at any point?

Does it look like there was any freshing-up of the ship during her brief layup following the WC?

Thanks

Jack

• Like 2

Thank you for posting Hattie. Looking forward to reading more updates when you‘re able to share them with us. Reading your notes will be the perfect way to build the excitement throughout this week as Mr K & I are boarding QV on the 18th. 

• Like 1

@Jack E Dawson

Did you see any evidence that passengers arriving before their boarding time were being kept out of the building? No

Is there a planned CC gathering at any point? I might have missed it today.

Does it look like there was any freshing-up of the ship during her brief layup following the WC? The last time I was on QM2 for longer than 2 nights was 2015 so difficult to say.

Our formal night started with a walk through the Commodore Club, Champagne Bar and Chart Room as there wasn't a seat to be had! We ended up in the Queens Room, lots of seats, a free waiter and a few dancers.

Note to self, get ready before 7.30 if you want a seat in a popular venue. 

We went to our table and made a start on the sparkling wine instead of the Welcome party. We'd ordered, no neighbours and no sign of the couple 1 table away. After a few minutes another couple arrived with a member of staff, there was some finger pointing and a quite loud comment of there's someone in the wrong table.  Fortunately I still had my dining card which showed they had issued 2 cards with the same table number both for second sitting! 

We stayed put and they sat a table away, with the promise of a window seat from tomorrow! They'd requested a table of 8 so weren't best pleased. 

It was Beef Wellington night and the food was very good. 

• Like 5

Amazing how things can change cruise by cruise. We got off QM2 on 2nd June and nearly every night went to Commodore Club for pre dinner drinks and had no trouble getting a table every night even by the windows. Having had the issues we had with Open Dining in Britannia I don't think the maitre'd is coping very well and don't think Cunard are handling Open Dining very well. Even if you booked a table on the webpage for a designated time it didn't guarantee an available table and on one occasion was stopped at entrance at 7-30pm and told dining room was full and come back in 30 minutes. It led us to having a meeting with Customer Services Manager and Food and Beverages Manager and I told them to recommend to head office of ditching Open Dining and reverting back to 2 set dining times. Whilst they didn't actually verbally agree I think there face said it all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I know. Just having a little fun.

Noticed the almost invisible decimal point before posting. 😀

Have a great time, and hope Mr HH is fully on the mend after the QV situation.

Bon Voyage!  🍸🎉

• Haha 1

After dinner we went back to the Queens Room to watch the dancers and listen to the band and singers. The dance floor was pretty busy but I didn't see any sign of dance hosts unless they've stopped wearing badges.

Dress code seemed to be well observed everywhere we went.

Clocks went forward overnight and we are due in Vigo at 9am tomorrow. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vic The Parrot said:

I know. Just having a little fun.

Noticed the almost invisible decimal point before posting. 😀

Have a great time, and hope Mr HH is fully on the mend after the QV situation.

Bon Voyage!  🍸🎉

I think that was the quality of the photograph rather than the printing !

He's good thank you. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

I think that was the quality of the photograph rather than the printing !

He's good thank you. 

Great to hear.

Stay safe on board and ashore.

Looking forward to reading more as the trip progresses. 

Have fun! ☺😎

• Like 1

Good tip about retaining your dining card Hattie! I’ve decided to stick with late sitting, at least for the first night on QV, and see what sort of table we get. I was thinking of switching to open but it sounds like I could do that when we board anyway (from the comments on the open dining thread). 
The Commodore Club is our venue of choice for drinks before dinner - Mr K does get a bit fed up with me insisting we get there just after 7 but I tell him the best seats are to be had whilst the early diners are still eating. Plus, we have time for a second drink. 😀. We have to drink slowly otherwise a third would see us tumbling into Britannia rather than trying to make an elegant entrance!

Enjoy your relaxing Sunday at sea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1