Traveling with 18 month old - Need/Recommend Passport?

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Childrens passports in the UK are only valid for 5 years as well. 135 usd over 5 years thats not much tbh..., i am guessing people spend more then that in a month or two on takeaways, mcdonalds etc. I dont see it as a huge spend tbh.

There's another way of looking at it though... $135/how many uses?  If you only use it for one trip (whether in 5 years or 10), then it's $135/use.  For a family of four, $540.  

If someone feels better having a passport, no problem.  If someone doesn't want to spend the money, no problem.  Just like insurance.  

28 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

There's another way of looking at it though... $135/how many uses?  If you only use it for one trip (whether in 5 years or 10), then it's $135/use.  For a family of four, $540.  

If someone feels better having a passport, no problem.  If someone doesn't want to spend the money, no problem.  Just like insurance.  

You could say that about anything, car insurance, house insurance, expensive phone contracts, medical insurance etc. There is a lot you spend money on but dont use, or dont use that often. Maybe its my english mentality, but passport and holiday insurance is a must. 🤷 IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

You could say that about anything, car insurance, house insurance, expensive phone contracts, medical insurance etc. There is a lot you spend money on but dont use, or dont use that often. Maybe its my english mentality, but passport and holiday insurance is a must. 🤷 IMO

I have a passport myself.  I think the ODDS of needing it for a cruise are very slim.  I will not fault anyone for deciding not to get one however.  

10 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Where do you get that information?

I was wondering the same.  

7 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

The number of uses mindset makes sense to me.  And the cost has gone up:  for a family of four, it'd be cost of the photographs + cost of the birth certificates (unless you have extras you're willing to send away) + $660 total for the passports.  Plus drop-off appointments are now mandatory, and they're not all that easy to get.  

I'm a fan of looking at your specific needs and making your decisions based upon your own needs, resources and expectations.  No blanket statements.  

Screenshot 2023-06-18 6.20.16 PM.png

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Where do you get that information?

I called my travel agent and also Royal and asked because I wanted to make sure we were doing the right thing.  The kids weren't required to have a passport by the USA for us to visit there from the boat,  but Royal requires they have one just in case

16 minutes ago, Sunseeker20 said:

I called my travel agent and also Royal and asked because I wanted to make sure we were doing the right thing.  The kids weren't required to have a passport by the USA for us to visit there from the boat,  but Royal requires they have one just in case

Assuming A) They are US Citizens and B) You're on a closed loop cruise, that sounds like bad information. 

Their own website has the following: image.thumb.png.77166474abbe33f8aaaab7b05b354850.png

Now, I wouldn't be surprised to learn the website is wrong, but I also wouldn't be surprised a CSR gave bad information either.

5 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Assuming A) They are US Citizens and B) You're on a closed loop cruise, that sounds like bad information. 

Their own website has the following: image.thumb.png.77166474abbe33f8aaaab7b05b354850.png

Now, I wouldn't be surprised to learn the website is wrong, but I also wouldn't be surprised a CSR gave bad information either.

No sorry,  we are Canadian.  We got on the ship in Canada  and went to Alaska. It was a closed loop cruise yes

20 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Childrens passports in the UK are only valid for 5 years as well. 135 usd over 5 years thats not much tbh..., i am guessing people spend more then that in a month or two on takeaways, mcdonalds etc. I dont see it as a huge spend tbh.

Exactly.  It's $27 a year.  People will spend hundreds on a drink package, thousands on a cruise, but are suddenly economical when getting a passport. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sunseeker20 said:

No sorry,  we are Canadian.  We got on the ship in Canada  and went to Alaska. It was a closed loop cruise yes

THAT'S why.  It's only US Citizens, traveling on a closed loop cruise, that are not required to have a passport.  

13 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I was wondering the same.  

The number of uses mindset makes sense to me.  And the cost has gone up:  for a family of four, it'd be cost of the photographs + cost of the birth certificates (unless you have extras you're willing to send away) + $660 total for the passports.  Plus drop-off appointments are now mandatory, and they're not all that easy to get.  

I'm a fan of looking at your specific needs and making your decisions based upon your own needs, resources and expectations.  No blanket statements.  

Screenshot 2023-06-18 6.20.16 PM.png

They send the birth certificates back.

20 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I have a passport myself.  I think the ODDS of needing it for a cruise are very slim.  I will not fault anyone for deciding not to get one however.  

The odds of bot needing it for certain cruises, you fly out of the US to go on a cruise you need it. Of course its up to the individual if they need one or not. 

Since passport picture cost was mentioned -

Some AAA plans include the benefit of free passport photographs for your family.  We just had free pictures taken for the three of us a few months ago.  They provided us with two pictures for each of us, but only one picture was needed for submission.

Once passport renewals are available online again, the option to take and submit your own digital photos will be another free option.

12 minutes ago, Cruisin'4Us said:

Since passport picture cost was mentioned -

Some AAA plans include the benefit of free passport photographs for your family.  We just had free pictures taken for the three of us a few months ago.  They provided us with two pictures for each of us, but only one picture was needed for submission.

Once passport renewals are available online again, the option to take and submit your own digital photos will be another free option.

I've taken all but my very first passport photo.  White or off white background, then use Photoshop (shh) to crop to the correct size (download the template to make sure everything is within the proper range).  You can print six images on a 4x6. 

The first time I did so for my family, the USPS worker who was working with us took a look at the pictures and said "these won't work".  I asked her to get out her template and show where they were off and they were perfectly within bounds.