Internet on the Venus

Squawkman

Just got back from a 2 week cruise on the Venus. The internet was very limited. While we were able to text, email and use WiFi calling with no issues, sending images and accessing most web pages were at best slow and usually timed out. In some cases, I would text a picture and get a message it wasn’t sent - when in fact the person did receive it.

This was our 10th Viking cruise, and while I had intermittent problems on the other 9, I didn’t experience this kind of limitation as I did on the Venus in every port and at sea. Anyone else experience this?

4 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Just got back from a 2 week cruise on the Venus. The internet was very limited. While we were able to text, email and use WiFi calling with no issues, sending images and accessing most web pages were at best slow and usually timed out. In some cases, I would text a picture and get a message it wasn’t sent - when in fact the person did receive it.

This was our 10th Viking cruise, and while I had intermittent problems on the other 9, I didn’t experience this kind of limitation as I did on the Venus in every port and at sea. Anyone else experience this?

We are on the new Saturn headed to Iceland.  Same observations as you have.  Unless you are on WiFi at midnight or before 6:30 am, it is so slow.  Definitely hard to text pics. Always get errors.  Maybe being further north isn’t helping.  Had heard STARLINK was being used now but you wouldn’t know it on this newest ship!

• Like 1

Wi-Fi was brutal during the world cruise on the Neptune until after India.  Then a switch flipped and it got much better.  It was this way until we just recently, where I have had problems doing searches, or getting pages to load.  Not as bad as early on the Neptune, but worse than it was.  DH thinks that it started slowing down after London.

It was so bad that when we were in port, I used my eSIM data plan to link my iPad for service.  

• Like 2

Recently sailed on the Mars, internet was very glitchy and slow, at times I could not even access my Bank's internet banking website.  I don't expect to stream 4K movies on a ship's internet but being able to payi the odd bill is a pretty minimal ask.  Viking needs to do better.  

• Like 2

On 6/11/2023 at 2:41 AM, CCWineLover said:

We are on the new Saturn headed to Iceland.  Same observations as you have.  Unless you are on WiFi at midnight or before 6:30 am, it is so slow.  Definitely hard to text pics. Always get errors.  Maybe being further north isn’t helping.  Had heard STARLINK was being used now but you wouldn’t know it on this newest ship!

FYI If you do a speed test from your phone, the carrier will be shown. Recently on the Sky they upgraded to Starlink…

image.thumb.png.eb9e422069c5be0e46ecbe85e59c9f49.png

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2