How will AI Transform HAL & the Entire Cruise Industry

mcrcruiser

We see AI as a boon to not only HAL ,CCL but the entire cruise industry . With lasboe being a big problem across many industries AI is the answer  .

Cruise line specific AI can do many functions now being done by people & not only quicker but better .The biggest hurdle for the cruise lines or any business employing Ai will be the initial cost & then the maintenance cost after  .However ,that being said imo the cost will justify the use  & ultimate savings 

It will hopefully lower costs for the lines, they will need fewer employees at headquarters.  But on the downside,  fewer actual humans to answer questions. So many of the chatbots I am forced to use these days don't seem to understand my requests.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

It will hopefully lower costs for the lines, they will need fewer employees at headquarters.  But on the downside,  fewer actual humans to answer questions. So many of the chatbots I am forced to use these days don't seem to understand my requests.  

Good point: it all depends on how it's used. It should make lots of things more efficient. But even before AI, when I have to call tech support for different companies, hoping they understand my questions can be as difficult as talking to a chatbot.

• Haha 2

@JeffElizabeth most chatbots utilize learning that produces better results as time goes on. So, unfortunately, the early users usually don't have as good experience as those using it later. It also requires different questions get asked, so if it gets the same questions time and time again, it won't know how to answer other questions.

I personally prefer a live agent during chats, but know there's a breakup in my future...

• Like 1

The most frequently asked question on our last cruise that led to very long lines and even extra personnel working the lines, pulling out passengers when they asked the exact same question .......How do I make my Navigator work?   (Something about putting it in airline mode)

There is no doubt that AI will change our life over the next few years; in ways that we have not yet imagined.  I have a large collection of old National Geographic magazines and was reading one yesterday from 1982.  The entire edition was dedicated to the computer chip, what was happening now and in the future.  Some of the predictions were correct, some not.  They had no idea of what the internet would do for us, like mobile banking, credit cards, buying from Amazon, cell phones as computers and cameras, and social media.  There were ads for Nikon and Olympus cameras and a two-page one for Sears.  The personal computer of the time was the Apple II; Steve Jobs was adamant that it was a personal, not home computer.

I think AI will revolutionize the cruise line's online presence for the better and make it easier to decide upon and book excursions.  However, until robots can do human tasks, people will still have to take care of staterooms, cook and serve meals, manage the laundry, and drive the ship.  We will still need doctors and nurses, but AI will make their jobs more easy and diagnoses more precise.  I look forward to it.

Ray

I see the cruise industry being substantially smaller.  Much, much smaller as people elect to travel virtually rather than in real life.  While watching Apple's recent WWDC and its soon to be introduced Apple Vision Pro one of my thoughts was how this device has the potential to completely upset the travel industry.  I think that this device has the potential to be an even bigger game changer than the iPhone.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

I see the cruise industry being substantially smaller.  Much, much smaller as people elect to travel virtually rather than in real life.  While watching Apple's recent WWDC and its soon to be introduced Apple Vision Pro one of my thoughts was how this device has the potential to completely upset the travel industry.  I think that this device has the potential to be an even bigger game changer than the iPhone.  

I'm thinking of Total Recall like experiences as well. I'll never climb Mount Everest, but I would like to virtually do it with a VR headset.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

I'm thinking of Total Recall like experiences as well. I'll never climb Mount Everest, but I would like to virtually do it with a VR headset.

But I want to do some things live!! Mount Everest, for me, will have to be virtual, but there are many places I still want to visit myself, live, in person. Please don't make me wear a VR headset... 🙄

• Like 1

We will have AI writing the complaints and responses on CC while we all get on with cruising. No human involvement needed.

4 hours ago, albingirl said:

Honest, I  don't even understand this thread. 

The coming of Artifical Intelligence .It is already here & being developed in ways we have yet to see & learn  . Already in Vancouver Canada ,a cruise critic member reported being served by a robot . Just think of the savings the cruise industry as well as all hospitality  could save on the hiring ,training  ,coaching & follow up of humans  .No longer shortages of staff on any ship . 

Yes the Apple new product coming is revolutionary in scope .

It will take time for humans to adjust to the future of Ai but nothing is going to stop it 

2 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Exactly.  Any of us travel know full well that the industry struggles to meet their customers needs.  For our Alaskan cruise in May we had to fly to the port.  I spent a lot of time searching for the best direct flight on the best plane that I could find.  Air Canada cancelled that flight and then we had to deal with the hassle of rebooking a flight with a layover in Toronto.  After checking in online Air Canada cancelled the flight again and we were back to scrambling to get a flight with a layover to arrive a day later in Vancouver.  Luckily we had made plans to arrange early as you basically know you have to today when you travel.  

Imagine never having to deal with this issue again?  Never having to worry about bad weather and rough seas.  Never having to worry about getting ill or having an accident.  Never having to worry about norovirus or covid.  Never having to sit through another poor show performance or sales presentation.  Never having to deal with rude and rowdy passengers.  Never having to deal with over tourism and the environmental impact of large ships.

While watching WWDC I said to my wife, "Imagine what upgrades and technology Apple will pack into that device in the next 10 years."

Of course the biggest problem for using any kind of AI, especially when you are expecting to get a single answer to your question instead of a search list is can you trust that it is the best answer or are you getting the solution that the company who is providing the AI wants you to have based upon any bias it might put into the algorithm.  Pretty easy for google for example to include a priority in the algorithm to give priority to solutions that give their advertisers an edge.  Have not seen anyone talking about regulations having to verify the validity of the responses generated and to make sure that they are not biased in any way to provide benefit to the company providing the tool.

There are rules about such disclosure in search engines.  After all many of the response are front end loaded with paid responses.  Much easier to hide it in a tool design to yiled not a search response but instead the best answer or a small set of the best answers.

41 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

Exactly.  Any of us travel know full well that the industry struggles to meet their customers needs.  For our Alaskan cruise in May we had to fly to the port.  I spent a lot of time searching for the best direct flight on the best plane that I could find.  Air Canada cancelled that flight and then we had to deal with the hassle of rebooking a flight with a layover in Toronto.  After checking in online Air Canada cancelled the flight again and we were back to scrambling to get a flight with a layover to arrive a day later in Vancouver.  Luckily we had made plans to arrange early as you basically know you have to today when you travel.  

Imagine never having to deal with this issue again?  Never having to worry about bad weather and rough seas.  Never having to worry about getting ill or having an accident.  Never having to worry about norovirus or covid.  Never having to sit through another poor show performance or sales presentation.  Never having to deal with rude and rowdy passengers.  Never having to deal with over tourism and the environmental impact of large ships.

While watching WWDC I said to my wife, "Imagine what upgrades and technology Apple will pack into that device in the next 10 years."

Excellent points

Typically, those paid responses, in your search example, are identified by the word "sponsored" but who's to say the identifier isn't occasionally missing causing the user to think they're valid rather than paid?

26 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Typically, those paid responses, in your search example, are identified by the word "sponsored" but who's to say the identifier isn't occasionally missing causing the user to think they're valid rather than paid?

Yes, because the regulations now requires it, after the search algorithms were abused. Nothing currently exists, nor is it even being discussed how ai algorithms will have to be certified to makes sure they do not include similar abuse. The simplest problem with AI generated responses is buried by the concerns over job losses and the end of the world.

I posed the question "How can AI improve the passenger experience on cruise ships?" as a test using ChatGPT (free version, not upgraded); below is the response I received back. This was just now; took less than 30 seconds to get the response.

"Artificial intelligence (AI) can significantly enhance the passenger experience on cruise ships in several ways. Here are some ways AI can be utilized to improve passenger satisfaction and enjoyment:

1. Personalized Services: AI can analyze passenger data, including preferences, past behaviors, and demographics, to provide personalized recommendations and services. This can include tailored dining options, entertainment suggestions, excursion recommendations, and onboard activities. Passengers can have a more customized experience that aligns with their individual preferences.

2. Intelligent Virtual Assistants: AI-powered virtual assistants, such as chatbots or voice-activated systems, can be available onboard to assist passengers with various inquiries and requests. These assistants can provide information about ship facilities, activities, schedules, and answer frequently asked questions. Passengers can get prompt and accurate responses, enhancing their overall experience.

3. Smart Room Automation: AI can enable smart automation in cabins to enhance comfort and convenience. Passengers can control the lights, temperature, curtains, and other room features using voice commands or mobile apps. AI can also learn individual preferences and adjust the room settings accordingly, creating a personalized and comfortable environment.

4. Enhanced Safety and Security: AI-based systems can improve safety and security onboard cruise ships. AI-powered video surveillance systems can monitor public areas and alert security personnel in case of unusual behavior or potential threats. Facial recognition technology can assist in identifying passengers and improving access control.

5. Predictive Maintenance: AI can be used to monitor and analyze the performance of onboard systems and equipment. By collecting real-time data and applying predictive analytics, AI can identify potential maintenance issues before they lead to equipment failures or disruptions. This proactive approach helps ensure smooth operations and minimizes inconveniences for passengers.

6. Augmented Reality (AR) Experiences: AR can be integrated into onboard activities and entertainment, offering passengers immersive and interactive experiences. AI-powered AR can provide virtual tours of destinations, historical information, or enhance onboard shows and performances, making the cruise experience more engaging and captivating.

7. Intelligent Crowd Management: AI can assist in managing passenger flow and avoiding congestion in high-traffic areas like embarkation and disembarkation points, dining venues, or entertainment areas. AI-powered analytics can optimize crowd management, ensuring a smooth and efficient experience for passengers.

8. Language Translation: AI-powered language translation tools can facilitate communication between passengers and crew members who speak different languages. This can help overcome language barriers and create a more inclusive and enjoyable experience for international travelers.

These are just a few examples of how AI can improve the passenger experience on cruise ships. By leveraging AI technologies, cruise lines can provide more personalized, efficient, and enjoyable journeys for their guests."

Haven't finished reading it yet, so I don't know to what degree I agree or not - just wanted to get it on here and see where this takes us...

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 3

Artificial intelligence (AI) has the potential to revolutionize the cruise industry in several ways. Here are some ways in which AI can have a significant impact:

1. Enhanced Customer Experience: AI-powered chatbots and virtual assistants can provide personalized recommendations, answer customer queries, and offer 24/7 assistance to enhance the customer experience. These AI systems can understand natural language, learn from customer interactions, and provide tailored suggestions for onboard activities, dining options, and shore excursions.

2. Intelligent Pricing and Revenue Optimization: AI algorithms can analyze historical data, market trends, and customer preferences to optimize pricing strategies. By dynamically adjusting prices based on demand, AI can help cruise lines maximize revenue while ensuring competitive pricing and filling up cabins efficiently.

3. Operational Efficiency: AI can optimize various operational aspects of cruise ships, such as route planning, fuel consumption, and maintenance scheduling. AI-powered systems can analyze weather patterns, sea conditions, and passenger preferences to recommend optimal itineraries, minimizing travel time and fuel consumption. AI can also monitor equipment performance and predict maintenance requirements, reducing downtime and improving operational efficiency.

4. Safety and Security: AI can contribute to enhanced safety and security measures onboard cruise ships. AI-powered video analytics can monitor surveillance footage to detect anomalies, recognize potential threats, and alert security personnel in real-time. Additionally, AI can assist with crowd management, identifying areas of high congestion and suggesting alternative routes or schedules to avoid overcrowding.

5. Personalized Services and Recommendations: AI can analyze passenger data, including preferences, behaviors, and previous interactions, to provide highly personalized services and recommendations. For example, AI can suggest tailored onboard activities, spa treatments, and entertainment options based on individual preferences. This level of personalization can greatly enhance the overall cruise experience.

6. Environmental Sustainability: AI can help cruise lines reduce their environmental footprint. By analyzing data on fuel consumption, emissions, and alternative energy sources, AI can optimize fuel efficiency and recommend eco-friendly practices. AI can also contribute to waste management, helping cruise lines monitor and minimize waste generation through predictive analytics and smart recycling systems.

7. Intelligent Marketing and Sales: AI can assist cruise lines in targeted marketing and sales efforts. By analyzing customer data and social media trends, AI can identify potential customers, segment markets, and personalize marketing campaigns. AI-powered recommendation systems can suggest relevant promotions, discounts, and add-on services, increasing conversion rates and customer satisfaction.

It's important to note that while AI holds significant potential, its implementation should be done carefully, with privacy and ethical considerations in mind. Cruise lines must ensure that passenger data is handled securely and with transparency, adhering to data protection regulations and industry standards.

*I asked Chat GPT how AI would revolutionize the cruise industry 

• Like 4

AI can handle various engineering, navigation, mechanical (think kitchen) tasks.  It can take dining orders, maybe. pool cleaning, sanitizing, yes. Moving deck chairs, I don’t think so. Moving chair hogs - definitely not.

As to the customer experience, there are long threads on this board about phone chains and phone customer service.  Phone chains are a form of AI,I’m can’t say I am impressed.  Currently there are some AI bots on Twitter, again i can’t say I am impressed.  They tend to be programmed to soothe and placate with less regard for outcome.   That may be fine if you need to order a beverage but if you have a medical emergency it may not be great.  Sure it could work the background ordering the appropriate medical services but people under duress want another human. 

I don’t think we will have AI moving robots on the public areas of a ship, they are bulky and cumbersome.   Have you ever seen the robots at a hospital?  They manage quite a few tasks but are heavy and large. 

Finally have you ever used a cruise line website - they are at least 15 years behind   Technology has dog years so do the math how far behind they are. 

I would love to hear a captain, cruise hospitality manager or chief engineer weigh in.  If someone is aboard ship and goes to the meet the captain maybe they could present this question 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cbr663 said:

Yeah, that’s the same as traveling.  People with too much money.

Brings to mind the use of AI in the fast food industry in drive through lines. The good is no mistakes with the orders, the bad they are very good at and never forget to upsell. A major point made by companies using them is how the dollars from upsetting has increased from their use.

I do not think thst we need more upsetting in the mass market cruise industry.

Edited by ldtr