If there is a no show at the port?

binro01

Are taxes, fees and port expenses refunded to the shipboard account as a refundable OBC? 

I have had that happen on another line. Wondering if that’s the same policy on Celebrity.

We might have a cancellation with one of my Brothers in their room. One will still be going.

Wondering what will happen. Should we call Celebrity before heading to the port? Just wondering if anyone has prior history with a similar situation. 

Edited by binro01
  • Like 1

We have only missed port once.  In 2005 we missed Grand Cayman because Horizon was forced to leave Tampa one day late because of fog. I do not recall getting any extra OBC to compensate for the taxes and fees.  That's one data point for you, albeit an old one.

On the flip side, our Carnival cruise ship decided in the middle of the trip to dock at Mazatlan twice in one day when she was only scheduled to dock once as part of her regularly scheduled 7 night Mexican Riviera run.  That's because half the ship wanted to go out to sea to view a total solar eclipse while the other half wanted to go ashore to see it.  The day before our stop at Mazatlan, the ship's Captain decided to dock twice to keep everyone happy (the second dock was to pick passengers back up that got off the ship).  I am sure it cost Carnival extra cash for that stunt and us passengers were not charged for it.

So between those two events, I am even.

16 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The Op isn’t asking about a missed port.  The question is, what if a passenger is a no show?

oh.  Never mind.

• Haha 3

My daughter was a no show for our April cruise. We received a credit back to our credit card a week or two after the cruise, nothing onboard. We went to guest services onboard, and they said we should call corporate, but we never did. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cyntil8ing said:

My daughter was a no show for our April cruise. We received a credit back to our credit card a week or two after the cruise, nothing onboard. We went to guest services onboard, and they said we should call corporate, but we never did. 

What amount did you get back? The taxes, port expenses and fees?

15 minutes ago, binro01 said:

What amount did you get back? The taxes, port expenses and fees?

Maybe? We got back about $70. Not sure what the taxes, port expenses and fees were. Probably more, but I never did the calculation. I was pleased to get anything.

My DW can't go in a cruise. TA canceled one day before the cruise. Celebrity returned in 3 days Tax and Port Fees and in 2 weeks the Cruise planner purchases, all money back to the CC (original form of payment)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, binro01 said:

Are taxes, fees and port expenses refunded to the shipboard account as a refundable OBC? 

I have had that happen on another line. Wondering if that’s the same policy on Celebrity.

No, they will not put it on a ship board account because there is no shipboard account for that person if they don’t show up. They would put the taxes, fees, and port charges back onto the original credit card used

• Like 1

If you know 48 hours before sail date you can substitute a person otherwise you lose. We had a breakup at last minute and girlfriend dropped. We found another brother to take her place. We called office from onboard and they let him board in her place. We were surprised and thankful. 

• Like 1

I have had it very recently.  Not one person was interested that there was a no show, so it obviously makes no difference to them.  I'm sure it would have been a bit of a nightmare trying to sort it beforehand with Celebrity.  It all happened automatically re the taxes/port charges refund.  It will be the full amount that you paid.  Personally, if there are excursions and cruise planner things booked I'd probably go and cancel those myself online, as I'd know it was done then.

However, with the one person left in the cabin, they will be entitled to double Captains Club points.  They however NEVER appear automatically, even if you are always booked as a solo.  You just need to call the Captains Club number once the first set of points have posted, and they will add them on, usually within a week.  They will never do it if you send an email.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sussex Cruiser said:

I have had it very recently.  Not one person was interested that there was a no show, so it obviously makes no difference to them.  I'm sure it would have been a bit of a nightmare trying to sort it beforehand with Celebrity.  It all happened automatically re the taxes/port charges refund.  It will be the full amount that you paid.  Personally, if there are excursions and cruise planner things booked I'd probably go and cancel those myself online, as I'd know it was done then.

However, with the one person left in the cabin, they will be entitled to double Captains Club points.  They however NEVER appear automatically, even if you are always booked as a solo.  You just need to call the Captains Club number once the first set of points have posted, and they will add them on, usually within a week.  They will never do it if you send an email.

Thanks for this, I as going to post today about this because I noticed my recent Celebrity cruise I only had one se of points for just me in the room

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sussex Cruiser said:

You bring up an interesting point but I don’t think that the remaining passenger is entitled to the double points. The double points are awarded when a single person pays the whole cost for double occupancy.  In this case, the single person is not paying for the whole room.  The other person’s fare is paid by him or her and forfeited.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

You bring up an interesting point but I don’t think that the remaining passenger is entitled to the double points. The double points are awarded when a single person pays the whole cost for double occupancy.  In this case, the single person is not paying for the whole room.  The other person’s fare is paid by him or her and forfeited.  

That is incorrect.  There is no refund on any aspect of the fare, so the remaining guest has therefore paid for 2 people.  They are entitled to double points, and they will get them from Celebrity.

• Like 1

I don’t see how. Guest one paid for guest one. Guest two paid for guest two. Guest two didn’t show up but they aren’t charging guest one the extra fare. It’s been paid and forfeited.

If anything, guest number two could make the argument that they should get the Captains Club points because they paid for them. Even though they didn’t sail.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

I don’t see how. Guest one paid for guest one. Guest two paid for guest two. Guest two didn’t show up but they aren’t charging guest one the extra fare. It’s been paid and forfeited.

If anything, guest number two could make the argument that they should get the Captains Club points because they paid for them. Even though they didn’t sail.

Well, it seems that you don't have any experience in this matter.  I can assure you that I do, extensively and recent.  You remain incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2023 at 9:44 PM, binro01 said:

We might have a cancellation with one of my Brothers in their room. One will still be going.

Wondering what will happen. Should we call Celebrity before heading to the port? Just wondering if anyone has prior history with a similar situation. 

If someone no-shows at the port, the port fees and taxes are refunded to the individuals credit card.  My parents had a last minute medical emergency the prevented them from traveling and the cruise line credited them those fees back to their credit card and they then filed an insurance claim for the remainder.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

When the Celebrity is running a promotion that a second guest is 75% off, the solo fair is more than the sum of fare for two people.

If a second person is a no-show, will the Celebrity make the first person to pay for a solo cost which is higher?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Sdancer said:

When the Celebrity is running a promotion that a second guest is 75% off, the solo fair is more than the sum of fare for two people.

If a second person is a no-show, will the Celebrity make the first person to pay for a solo cost which is higher?

Thanks!

Nope. The fare for two is the fare for two, even if one is a no show. There is no repricing at the port. The only thing that happens is a refund to the form of payment of taxes fees and port expenses for the no show. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, binro01 said:

Nope. The fare for two is the fare for two, even if one is a no show. There is no repricing at the port. The only thing that happens is a refund to the form of payment of taxes fees and port expenses for the no show. 

I'm doing a planned no-show in November, since the fare for a solo was 3X the cost of 2 people together. I had fears of being caught, interrogated, and forced to pay the solo rate, but the people at the port are just scanning documents and don't care, and once I'm on the ship, what are they going to do, make me share a cabin with a deckhand? They should actually be happy, because my no-show sister is a chowhound cheapskate who would  eat steak at every meal, whereas I enjoy pasta and Indian food. They'll also get more business from me if I can book for two, since by searching for cruises based on two people, I'll see more affordable fares than with a solo search. They'll also have to pay fewer commissions, since their website is convenient for booking for 2, but now impossible to search for a solo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, rj59 said:

I'm doing a planned no-show in November, since the fare for a solo was 3X the cost of 2 people together. I had fears of being caught, interrogated, and forced to pay the solo rate, but the people at the port are just scanning documents and don't care

The people at the port are contractors from ports, not employees of cruise companies.

Edited by Sdancer

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2023 at 7:20 PM, rj59 said:

I'm doing a planned no-show in November, since the fare for a solo was 3X the cost of 2 people together. I had fears of being caught, interrogated, and forced to pay the solo rate, but the people at the port are just scanning documents and don't care, and once I'm on the ship, what are they going to do, make me share a cabin with a deckhand? They should actually be happy, because my no-show sister is a chowhound cheapskate who would  eat steak at every meal, whereas I enjoy pasta and Indian food. They'll also get more business from me if I can book for two, since by searching for cruises based on two people, I'll see more affordable fares than with a solo search. They'll also have to pay fewer commissions, since their website is convenient for booking for 2, but now impossible to search for a solo. 

Any issues on your sailing? My friend can’t make a cruise next week that we booked. I’m assuming I just board as usual and not say anything? 

On 6/15/2023 at 6:07 PM, Sussex Cruiser said:

That is incorrect.  There is no refund on any aspect of the fare, so the remaining guest has therefore paid for 2 people.  They are entitled to double points, and they will get them from Celebrity.

You are absolutely right

i get double points when my the other half not able to cruise with me.