MY New York Plans..Thoughts please

eltigre

6 hours ago, eltigre said:

Our concern for any of the transit in New York is that we are not very savy on figuring out where we are, where we want to go & how to get there 🙂 plus DH has to keep stairs to a minimum. Many systems are accessed by so many steps down & up. The more I am reading here the more I am realizing the traffic issues so I will be looking more closely at the subway system to see if we can make it work for us.

Stairs is definitely one of my negatives about subways , prefer Uber or Lyft always order one with extra leg room. Did ride the subway daily until I moved to Texas 40 years ago. 

Not sure what show you’re seeing and which theater? May have read past it. 

John’s of Times Square is a good suggestion, but they don’t take reservations, so go early if you’re doing a 7:00 pm show. If you like Indian, it’s a few blocks away, but we really enjoyed Saar on 51st, and they take reservations. The area around Times Square can be hit or miss for dining, and places we’ve been to over the years may or may not still be there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You may also wish to look at Access A Ride here in NYC. 

See this document: https://www.un.org/esa/socdev/enable/rights/ahc8docs/ahc8mtainfo.doc#:~:text=Visitors who have received an,in advance of their trip.

MTA New York City Transit welcomes the opportunity to provide Access-A-Ride (AAR) paratransit service to eligible visitors to New York City.  We suggest that visitors become familiar with AAR by reading Access-A-Ride Paratransit Service User’s Guide.  Please call toll-free from area codes 212,718, 347, 516, 631, 646, 914 and 845 by dialing 877-337-2017 or 718-393-4999 to obtain this publication and other information about AAR.  Information and publications about AAR, buses and subways can also be obtained from NYC Transit Customer Assistance by dialing 718-330-3322.

Visitors must submit to NYC Transit a copy of their paratransit ID card (front and back) or other equivalent paratransit eligibility documentation issued by the city or town in which they reside.  Visitors lacking the above-mentioned documentation must submit proof of residency outside of New York City and proof of disability.  A legible, dated and signed letter from a doctor or rehabilitation professional indicating an individual’s disability is acceptable proof.

Edited by Brighton Line

Speaking of New York--question for New Yorkers who are very familiar with the Port Authority area.  Taking the bus from Boston into PABT--only did this once years ago so I can't remember much.  Any hotels within walking distance?  I don't want to wait in line for a taxi.  I just want to get off the bus and head straight to a hotel.  Any suggestions?  Thank you!  

7 minutes ago, BM3260 said:

Any hotels within walking distance?  I don't want to wait in line for a taxi.  I just want to get off the bus and head straight to a hotel.  Any suggestions?

A ton. Really anything in Times Square is walkable but you have the Westin, Hilton, and Element within a half a block. And a bunch more just beyond catering to most budgets. Really its impossible to point you in a direction without an idea of what you are willing to spend a night. Most of these in the immediate vicinity tend to be pretty bland corporate hotels that cater heavily to tourists. 

Personally I hate staying or being anywhere near Times Square but some hotels that sort of break the Times Square mold (meaning actually have some character or make you feel like you're not in Times Square) would the the Edition, Casablanca Hotel, The Michelangelo, The Knickerbocker, or The Algonquin. 

• Like 4

On 8/3/2023 at 2:56 PM, princeton123211 said:

A ton. Really anything in Times Square is walkable but you have the Westin, Hilton, and Element within a half a block. And a bunch more just beyond catering to most budgets. Really its impossible to point you in a direction without an idea of what you are willing to spend a night. Most of these in the immediate vicinity tend to be pretty bland corporate hotels that cater heavily to tourists. 

Personally I hate staying or being anywhere near Times Square but some hotels that sort of break the Times Square mold (meaning actually have some character or make you feel like you're not in Times Square) would the the Edition, Casablanca Hotel, The Michelangelo, The Knickerbocker, or The Algonquin. 

On 8/3/2023 at 8:01 PM, BM3260 said:

Thank you--will do!

1 hour ago, BM3260 said:

Princeton123211--Just booked the Barrymore Suite at The Algonquin--thanks so much for the suggestion!

We love stopping there for drinks there is a cat that might greet you , we always stay at the michealanglo.

• Like 1

Another quick question for New Yorkers and/or frequent taxi riders--will the cabbies get mad if we only have a 3, 4-minute drive to the hotel from the Port Authority?  Most Time Square hotels are a stones throw, and if it were just my husband and me, we would walk no problem, but we've got kids, luggage, elderly parents.  I'm a Bostonian and I can tell you the airport cabbies absolutely hate when you hitch a ride from Logan to cities in greater Boston that are only about 2 or 3 miles out.  They yell at you that you should have taken the T.  Will we have a problem getting a cab at PA to go such a short distance that will only cost about $5??  Thanks all!

1 hour ago, BM3260 said:

Another quick question for New Yorkers and/or frequent taxi riders--will the cabbies get mad if we only have a 3, 4-minute drive to the hotel from the Port Authority?

They won't love it but there's not much they can do about it. 

1 hour ago, BM3260 said:

Will we have a problem getting a cab at PA to go such a short distance that will only cost about $5??  Thanks all!

There are taxis by the PA. It'll be more than $5 though. Its like $6-7 in surcharges just to get in (and more if its during rush hour). Plus the metered short distance which will add a few more dollars. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BM3260 said:

I saw the cat on the website!  My daughter will love that!

Next time consider the michealanglo suites are way bigger we get a king suite with a bath and a half that is 600sq feet or grand king suite with two full bath rooms which is 800 sq Ft. 

• Like 1

Thanks Markeb  John's looks perfect!! 

On another note, I didn't realize I could get from my hotel to the pier 12 via Brooklyn Bridge (cause I really want to see it 🙂 )drop off luggage & then take a ferry back to Battery Park to visit Lower Manhattan area. That looks doable for us I think.

5 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

They won't love it but there's not much they can do about it. 

There are taxis by the PA. It'll be more than $5 though. Its like $6-7 in surcharges just to get in (and more if its during rush hour). Plus the metered short distance which will add a few more dollars. 

@BM3260 also factor in a generous tip 😉 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 11:12 AM, BM3260 said:

I'm a Bostonian and I can tell you the airport cabbies absolutely hate when you hitch a ride from Logan to cities in greater Boston that are only about 2 or 3 miles out. They yell at you that you should have taken the T. Will we have a problem getting a cab at PA to go such a short distance that will only cost about $5??

It may be that the Boston hack at the airport gets upset with a short trip because he or she may have waited a long time at the airport on a taxi line, with anticipation of getting a long distance fare that will have made the taxi line wait worthwhile. A short trip would shatter that expectation (but nonetheless it is improper for the hack to take it out on the passenger). In contrast, there is no long taxi line when hailing a taxi on a midtown street or at a taxi stand. It is just another ordinary fare. Moreover, it is the flag drop--presently $3.00--that constitutes a good part of the fare for local travel within Manhattan, and so there's not significant detriment against these short trips. It is a fair fare for a short and inconsequential part of the day's work.

• Like 2

Can an NYC Cabbie refuse a 2-block fare? No, it is against the law but will they, yes, and they have in my personal experience. Even refused to move the cab and with a $20 in hand refused. YMMV.

Now at the airport terminal, since a uniformed T&LC employee is dispatching they don't refuse but are not happy about it. 

• Like 1