Strict arrival times

Babybooface

29 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

P&O would have to stop offering priority to suite passengers. 

That would make little, or no, difference - Britannia has the most suites at 68 (most other ships the number of suites is in the 20's) and not all suite passengers arrive early.

I think one thing that can be making some arrive earlier than they would otherwise do is the embarkation lunch for Caribbean level and above.  We have just become Caribbean members and will likely turn up early, (if still have the right to do so), for our late August cruise, because of that.  Otherwise we would be happy to saunter up nearer to 2pm or so, but would be nice to know we could embark without hassle then.

That prompts me to ask a question - can anyone tell me what is the latest time you can go into that  embarkation lunch?  I wonder if having been once, we will want to go another time?  Perhaps not, especially if it keeps us indoors for a while and the weather is good since we often skip MDR meals if the outdoors appeals more, but will be tempted to try it the first time.

Edited by tring

1 hour ago, Warrior52 said:

Please can someone advise - I have a boarding time of 12 noon due to loyalty status but my husband has a boarding time of 3pm despite us sharing a cabin. (Although he isn’t on the same tier as me) Does he just come with me ? 
thanks in advance of any replies, 

Firstly I can't believe they'd issue to different times to people in same cabin.

I think it's hard to reissue boarding passes.

However I'd email them and get it in writing that you can both board  together 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Firstly I can't believe they'd issue to different times to people in same cabin.

I think it's hard to reissue boarding passes.

However I'd email them and get it in writing that you can both board  together 

I know very confusing.  I’m disabled too so no way will I get on on my own.  I’ll email p and o.

thanks for the reply 

Slightly off topic (but not by much).

My coach arrival estimated time and my boarding time are the same, for the first time ever. Planning or coincidence? My betting is on the latter! Though the former would give me (faint) hope that the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.

2 hours ago, david63 said:

That would make little, or no, difference - Britannia has the most suites at 68 (most other ships the number of suites is in the 20's) and not all suite passengers arrive early.

Have your read the thread and the post you are replying to. You are missing the point completely. It is the effect on suite passengers and upper tier passengers who will not be happy. Not on the embarkation process.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Warrior52 said:

Please can someone advise - I have a boarding time of 12 noon due to loyalty status but my husband has a boarding time of 3pm despite us sharing a cabin. (Although he isn’t on the same tier as me) Does he just come with me ? 

At the end of October I shared a cabin with my daughter & grandson who had never cruised before I am Caribbean level and although they had a later time like your husband they boarded with me and enjoyed the welcome on board lunch! (I phoned to check) and she thought it was great 🙂

• Like 3

I love the welcome aboard buffet (I think Ventura and Britannia are doing a served meal, happy for confirmation as we are booked on Britannia next year and may change an Arvia cruise in April to Ventura (or MSC!) as I am not willing to put up with the MDR queues I had in April on Arvia). A sit down meal would be even better but that said me and mum love the Iona/Arvia chicken tikka masala buffet item (other items are available)). We have found it a challenge to get a drink but then it was a challenge we were happy to participate in and normally we won! We are in the top tier of loyalty benefits on P&O (well Caribbean, would have been Baltic but we cancelled 2 P&O cruises this year and most likely Arvia next April), Princess, RCL, MSC (only due to loyalty match, first cruise in 7 weeks), Celebrity, Cunard but our favourite perks are P&O priority boarding, priority boarding lunch and Caribbean lunch midway through the cruise. Long may they continue!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, July morning said:

At the end of October I shared a cabin with my daughter & grandson who had never cruised before I am Caribbean level and although they had a later time like your husband they boarded with me and enjoyed the welcome on board lunch! (I phoned to check) and she thought it was great 🙂

Thank you - fingers crossed x

13 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Most people travel on the day and arrive later so there will never be 5000 pepole arriving all at once. From reading this whole thread people who want to get on early seem to be those in hotels who have to check out early and some people who come by train who can only get one that arrives at 12.30 ish. 

Possibly, but we always stay the night before, and I’m never in a rush to embark. Around 2 o’clock would be my ideal boarding time, so as to have a nice and relaxing morning. 

• Like 2

On 7/16/2023 at 9:30 AM, Warrior52 said:

23 hours ago, Warrior52 said:

I know very confusing.  I’m disabled too so no way will I get on on my own.  I’ll email p and o.

thanks for the reply 

Based on priority boarding at Mayflower in May I would not think there would be a problem, I assume that as you have a 12:00 boarding time your boarding pass states priority boarding at the bottom .The lady shouting priority at the end of the queue by the luggage drop offs did not even want to see boarding passes, just said go to the doors marked departures. At these doors a man quickly looked at one boarding pass which was visible in a plastic document carrier and waived us inside before we had a chance to remove the passes. Inside a lady checked the passes but she may have only looked at one I can’t remember then said go to check in desks. If there was a problem you could explain that you were sharing a cabin which they could see on the boarding passes and you needing you husband to help with your luggage as they no longer have porters kerbside and as you are disabled he is your carer, Hopefully common sense will prevail.

On 7/16/2023 at 11:19 AM, tring said:

I think one thing that can be making some arrive earlier than they would otherwise do is the embarkation lunch for Caribbean level and above.  We have just become Caribbean members and will likely turn up early, (if still have the right to do so), for our late August cruise, because of that.  Otherwise we would be happy to saunter up nearer to 2pm or so, but would be nice to know we could embark without hassle then.

That prompts me to ask a question - can anyone tell me what is the latest time you can go into that  embarkation lunch?  I wonder if having been once, we will want to go another time?  Perhaps not, especially if it keeps us indoors for a while and the weather is good since we often skip MDR meals if the outdoors appeals more, but will be tempted to try it the first time.

It’s not often these days that things have improved since the pause, but on Ventura the embarkation lunch defiantly had and I think that others have also reported this on other ships too. In the past as you boarded early you were just told as soon as you got on board that the lunch was in a certain restaurant. Which in 2018 although in a MDR was a buffet. This time you were given an invitation card at check in which gave a time of 12:30 I can’t remember if there was a closing time. People were going in before 12:15. We were surprised when we got to check in that there was no one waiting at the thirty or so desks and the non priority passengers were still being held in a queue outside, so I can only conclude that there is a priority to get those that qualify to lunch, which was worth going to unless you were teetotal and could not manage any food.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bill Y said:

Based on priority boarding at Mayflower in May I would not think there would be a problem, I assume that as you have a 12:00 boarding time your boarding pass states priority boarding at the bottom .The lady shouting priority at the end of the queue by the luggage drop offs did not even want to see boarding passes, just said go to the doors marked departures. At these doors a man quickly looked at one boarding pass which was visible in a plastic document carrier and waived us inside before we had a chance to remove the passes. Inside a lady checked the passes but she may have only looked at one I can’t remember then said go to check in desks. If there was a problem you could explain that you were sharing a cabin which they could see on the boarding passes and you needing you husband to help with your luggage as they no longer have porters kerbside and as you are disabled he is your carer, Hopefully common sense will prevail.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Much appreciated 

On 7/15/2023 at 5:09 PM, Windsurfboy said:

Yes but Airports have far more internal space per passenger,  4 times as much or more.

What we clearly need is far bigger terminals,  but until they are built there isn't room for people to wait in side.

On our last cruise in Apr from mayflower terminal, there was certainly no queue into the terminal and for security. Could have easily had people in the terminal.  Only afterwards at the other checkin desks tho was constantly moving

4 hours ago, mrshorsy said:

We sail on 29th July boarding at 2.30pm which is fine as our hotel have offered to keep bags while we have a stroll round town 

I was a bit disappointed that there was no roll call 

If there is no roll call for your cruise, you could start one yourself.  Anyone can start a roll call but I suggest you look at the instructions regards how to form the title of it.  CC suggested writing the cruise and date in a specific way as that works with the search facility.

Edited by tring

41 minutes ago, cruzadict said:

Just received our arrival time for our 10th August cruise on Aurora and it is 12 noon.  Pleased with this.

What happens if you arrive say at 14:00,,,do you go to the front of the queue or are you given a new time?

It doesn’t matter what time I’m given I arrive by Eavesway around 13:30 and go straight in with the time they are calling even if my time is later.

On 7/16/2023 at 11:19 AM, tring said:

On Iona last year the upper tier and suite embarkation lunch was open until 3:30pm. We always enjoy a free drink or two but the food has been different every time. On Iona there were various buffet choices and a curry option which we really enjoyed. On other previous cruises it was a selection of sandwiches, wraps, bitesize snacks etc. Our son usually wants to get in the cabin asap so we never spend too long in there but we appreciate the perk and always take advantage of it. It's nice to have a place to go eat where it isn't too busy or crowded in any way.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1