Strict arrival times

Babybooface

Hi just wondering how the new system is working.  I booked a last minute cruise and been given 2pm check in . I’m traveling by train as a solo passenger and my train gets in at 1230. As I will have all my luggage myself I’m going to head straight to the port in a taxi. I know I’m going to be put in a queue of people who have arrived early. But what happens ? When it gets close to 2pm do I leave that queue and go straight to the normal boarding with people who have just arrived on time for the check in and not early. Or am I stuck in the early queue till it clears? 

• Like 2

Very curious about this too. Been given a 2:30 boarding time for Arvia k313, but me and my partner are driving a fair distance and will likely be several hours early. Given the travel distance I don't want to risk leaving it too late. If a single traffic incident happens enroute we could miss the ship.

• Like 2

From other reports, you join the queue and are called at your allotted time, (hopefully before) then leave the queue. 

If you are very early, do what we plan to do, drop your luggage off and walk across the park to Oxford Street for some lunch. It's only a 5-10 minute walk and has some lovely restaurants. 

We have been given 3.15 boarding time and although we are fairly local, are fully aware of what can go wrong with Southampton traffic, so won't be taking any chances... 

Andy 

• Like 8

I've experienced this a few times at Southampton with three different cruise lines - P&O, Cunard and MSC.   Hotel check out is usually between 11am and noon, so I've gone to the terminal, apologised for being early, and not trying to beat the system, but explained the above and being a solo traveller.   The staff at the terminals have always been accommodating.

On the other end of the spectrum, the MSC cruise I'm just back from had a 10am embarkation at Horizon.   I've never had such an early time before.   Quick breakfast, at Horizon for 9.45am.   Short wait for group number to be called (No.2).   Was on the ship at 10.10am.

• Like 2

On Arvia last month we had a boarding time of 12.15. We arrived a little before 12 and handed over our luggage and joined the queue. Shortly after joining those with a boarding time of 12 were called. When it got to 12.20 we hadn't been called, so we and a few other passengers went to enquire, but were told that they hadn't been told to call the next time but allowed us in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The purpose of the queuing is not to hold you back but to ensure that the main checkin terminal is not overwhelmed with people.

Therefore if checkin is running smoothly, the ship has allowed passengers on board, then you should see that they start to allow those early arrivals in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, showingdiva said:

I've experienced this a few times at Southampton with three different cruise lines - P&O, Cunard and MSC.   Hotel check out is usually between 11am and noon, so I've gone to the terminal, apologised for being early, and not trying to beat the system, but explained the above and being a solo traveller.   The staff at the terminals have always been accommodating.

On the other end of the spectrum, the MSC cruise I'm just back from had a 10am embarkation at Horizon.   I've never had such an early time before.   Quick breakfast, at Horizon for 9.45am.   Short wait for group number to be called (No.2).   Was on the ship at 10.10am.

My experiences are the same. Msc we were onboard by 10.15am, Princess was prompt too, Fred we just walked in (small ship though).

With P&O recently we were early and had fully intended to drop the car and luggage and head for lunch in town. As check in was very quiet when we arrived we asked and they let us go through. Consequently I don’t think anyone is ever held back for the sake of it. I do think that P&O could look at how other companies handle their big ship embarkations. I have never had a late afternoon check in on Celebrity, RCI etc but I have had several with P&O and so lose virtually the whole first day of the holiday.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I do think that P&O could look at how other companies handle their big ship embarkations

There are two aspects to that:

1. Getting passengers onboard which with the way that disembarkation works these days passengers could probably start boarding around 11:00/11:30. The problem then comes as to where do all these passengers go bearing in mind that many are lugging cases around with them?
  2. Having cabins available. There are only two ways to have cabins ready quicker - either have passengers vacate their cabins earlier, which is not really practical or have more crew preparing the cabins. Currently a cabin steward on P&O has around 20 cabins to service in six hours which, at best, is 20 minutes a cabin.

The current system at check-in has certainly speeded the process up - the main hold up appearing to be with the photo and the fact that there are still passengers who, for any number of reasons, do not do all of the online check-in procedures. On Princess where everything is done on line by 99% of passengers check-in takes only a couple of minutes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

The purpose of the queuing is not to hold you back but to ensure that the main checkin terminal is not overwhelmed with people.

Therefore if checkin is running smoothly, the ship has allowed passengers on board, then you should see that they start to allow those early arrivals in.

Sorry but forming a queue in the rain or cold and especially old or disabled is not a very well thought policy and is not what anyone expects at the start of your cruise.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, david63 said:

The problem then comes as to where do all these passengers go bearing in mind that many are lugging cases around with them?

Personally I go and have lunch then explore, make onboard bookings etc then sit and people watch until my cabin is ready (usually about 1 pm on most lines).

If someone is lugging round luggage that is their choice surely? Most seem to have just a small case of rucksack with essentials in.

If they don’t want to go onboard lugging bags then they simply wait to board until cabins are immediately available. I’ve never heard of anyone being turned back for boarding a bit later than their time, only early.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but forming a queue in the rain or cold and especially old or disabled is not a very well thought policy and is not what anyone expects at the start of your cruise.

The policy is please turn up at your designated time. This is well communicated.

The queue is for those who chose/are unable to follow that policy.

If everyone turns up at their designated time, the queue should not be needed.

The terminal has a maximum capacity, go over that and you risk injuries.

There is a longer term plan to enable people to chose their arrival time but this has been on hold since the pandemic.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, molecrochip said:

The queue is for those who chose/are unable to follow that policy.

It is not always a "choice" to not follow the policy. Many (most?) passengers have long distances to travel by any number of means and cannot arrange a precise arrival time.

3 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

There is a longer term plan to enable people to chose their arrival time but this has been on hold since the pandemic.

And if that is anything like the Princess system then it will be a total waste of time!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

The policy is please turn up at your designated time. This is well communicated.

It may be well communicated but lots of us have long journeys and can be held up if there are problems such as accidents enroute so build a bit of leeway into our travel plans.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

I was in the terminal on May 27th, the only people in the terminal were people checking in the desks. All the seats were empty with people queing outside. So absolutely no danger of the terminal being over crowded. In fact 

that is really dangerous. And why nor let people in?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, david63 said:

There are two aspects to that:

1. Getting passengers onboard which with the way that disembarkation works these days passengers could probably start boarding around 11:00/11:30. The problem then comes as to where do all these passengers go bearing in mind that many are lugging cases around with them?
  2. Having cabins available. There are only two ways to have cabins ready quicker - either have passengers vacate their cabins earlier, which is not really practical or have more crew preparing the cabins. Currently a cabin steward on P&O has around 20 cabins to service in six hours which, at best, is 20 minutes a cabin.

The current system at check-in has certainly speeded the process up - the main hold up appearing to be with the photo and the fact that there are still passengers who, for any number of reasons, do not do all of the online check-in procedures. On Princess where everything is done on line by 99% of passengers check-in takes only a couple of minutes.

1 MSC board from 10am, and passengers from the previous cruise can stay till noon although cabins are vacated by 7.30. It works well.

2 Cabins on MSc are not ready till early afternoon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We have never had a problem with the Princess system. 

I love the Princess system. It doesn't do stupid things like allocate a 12.30 boarding tie for people arriving by coach at 2 pm, they have a 2pm boarding time

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't understand this mad rush to get on board.    We usually board around 2pm, go to the cabin dump our hand luggage, go and have a light lunch.  

Potentially the rush is because those who get on later can’t get anything booked on the new ships where much is done on the app?

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

They ask you to turn up at a time to reduce waiting for all people. There are venues nearby that people can wait before arriving at the port: cafes, restaurants etc. 

They also have an inside area with seating for those who have arranged assistance where they can wait if they arrive in advance of their time. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Potentially the rush is because those who get on later can’t get anything booked on the new ships where much is done on the app?

I think this is mostly scaremongering: there are very few things that need pre-booking, and they (Epicurian, Limelight) can be booked 2 weeks before. The only things people really need to book on embarkation day is the Olive Grove and 710, as everything else is available to book throughout the week. Even the 710 which is always booked-up has slots for last minute arrivals 5 minutes before the show starts. 

The only other booking issue is kids club slots for the first sea day, but it’s only that first day as the rest of the week is booked from 8.30am the day before.  

• Like 1