Koningsdam June 3 - 10 Alaska review

nw gardener

13 hours ago, 0106 said:

My DH said the Peruvian chicken was the best chicken he ever ate.  He had a veal dish one night that looked like a veal chop to me, he said it was delicious too.  Actually, I believe he ordered the special dish every night except one and enjoyed them all.  (I’m a pescatarian so that is why I didn’t try many of them.). We have CO booked for all of our future cruises on Pinnacle class ships.

I really liked the Peruvian chicken as well.  That veal chop while good was just to big.  It looked like a tomahawk steak it was so huge.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 10:12 AM, cbr663 said:

We were on the ship May 13th and here are my responses:

1.  Temps inside the ship were normal room temps.  No problem wearing a t-shirt and shorts or active pants.  Balconies were quite cooler and we tended to cover up in a blanket when outside.

2.  Some were noticeably dressy, especially on dressy nights.  Most people though adhered to casual - pants and collared shirts for men and cocktail dresses and pants/blouses for women.

3.  Very few masks at the beginning of the cruise.  Elevators were quite crowded with many people making room the squeeze more in.  It was very noticeable that people were coughing and sick toward the end of the cruise.  We started to feel ill toward the end and did test positive for COVID once home.

4.  Lots of quiet spots around the ship.  Many of the bars will be empty during the day so very easy to set up there.  I also agree with another poster that the line of tables outside of CO is a very quiet spot and we would often have a coffee there.

BTW - the lineups at the Dutch Cafe can be long.  The Bossche Bol was quite delicious and our our cruise it made an appearance on I think around Day 5 in the Lido as a single serve option.  So if you miss out on the Dutch Cafe keep an eye on the Lido.

Thank you for sharing your experiences...my husband especially appreciates the pastry intel!!  Hope you are feeling better,

We will be in 8190 on Koningsdam in August! Glad to hear it’s a good location. How do you add Club Orange to your booking? I have seen nothing about it online in our booking. Do you recall the cost?

thanks!

2 minutes ago, sp2 said:

We will be in 8190 on Koningsdam in August! Glad to hear it’s a good location. How do you add Club Orange to your booking? I have seen nothing about it online in our booking. Do you recall the cost?

thanks!

See the attached link for club orange info 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/activity-types/dining/club-orange/Club_Orange_Benefits.pdf

1 minute ago, sp2 said:

thanks!

Your TA needs to get it added if still available, or you need to call Club Orange at HAL, can not be done online. They only sell a limited amount per cruise. I paid $25 pp per day or $50 per cabin per day.  For our 7 night cruise the cost is 350.

I added club orange through my TA (big box) 2 months before sailing but didn't want a cabin upgrade,  and I don't believe there were much to upgrade to at that point so HAL discounted the cost by $100. Next time I book I'll try to do better taking advantage of the upgrade with CO. You will enjoy the aft view,  close to Lido and Seaview bar, but you will get your steps in if you enjoy the Crows Nest.  I  needed the exercise though after I discovered the Bossche Bol. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nw gardener said:

I added club orange through my TA (big box) 2 months before sailing but didn't want a cabin upgrade,  and I don't believe there were much to upgrade to at that point so HAL discounted the cost by $100. Next time I book I'll try to do better taking advantage of the upgrade with CO. You will enjoy the aft view,  close to Lido and Seaview bar, but you will get your steps in if you enjoy the Crows Nest.  I  needed the exercise though after I discovered the Bossche Bol. 

For this cruise when we booked we got one of the last aft facing Verandah cabins. When we added CO much later there was no cabin we wanted to upgrade to. HAL didn't  offer us anything for not taking the upgrade. The cabin category we booked I believe is the top verandah category. 

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

For this cruise when we booked we got one of the last aft facing Verandah cabins. When we added CO much later there was no cabin we wanted to upgrade to. HAL didn't  offer us anything for not taking the upgrade. The cabin category we booked I believe is the top verandah category. 

I was surprised that I got a discount frankly,  but the deck 8 aft balconies aren't quite at the top verandah  category. Thanks to CC research,  I'll book differently in the future to take full advantage. Certainly glad that I tried CO.