What happens if you catch Covid onboard?

vietmom

Are they offering compensation?

As mentioned above, no. We were provided with letters from the Purser indicating the number of days we had to isolate. While I had medical coverage, I did not have a policy under which we could file for having to isolate. Frankly, I wouldn't expect Cunard to be responsible for compensating us. It wasn't their fault that we came down with COVID... I'm pretty certain we picked it up prior to boarding.

32 minutes ago, vietmom said:

So, we called the medical center yesterday, and my husband tested positive for covid😢. I tested negative. He is confined to the cabin. For up to 15 days (which takes us to the end of our cruise). I can go out wearing a mask, but can't go to anywhere that serves food. He has to retest in 6 days (really 7) and i have to test every other day. I haven't really gone out except to walk around the promenade deck late last night. It is so disappointing to spend two weeks of the cruise we waited 3 years for stuck in a little cabin. It certainly isnt what we planned. At least my husband isn't particularly sick and just feels like he has a cold.

Oh, that is so miserable for you. I should try and get out a bit, because it means your husband can hear about the things he is missing from you. I was agog to hear what was going on on the other side of the ship, but rarely got a response more than ‘nothing really’! Otherwise, dine on your sheltered balcony when you can. With luck it won’t be fifteen days, but you have my sympathies. 

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 2

On 6/13/2023 at 12:20 PM, vietmom said:

Thank you for your reply. We boarded on May 25 as well. My husband started having a sore throat this morning, and we are waiting in the cabin to call the medical center when they open.

I just want to be prepared for what we are facing if he has covid. Unfortunately,  we are just in a sheltered balcony. It could be a long week.

Hope you have both have a speedy recovery

• Like 1

So sorry to hear your holiday has been impacted by covid - and hope your husband is not too unwell! Are you

on QM2 or QV? We are currently on QV and witnessed signs of cabin crew looking after isolating passengers a few days ago although had the letter today advising of norovirus on board! Hoping we stay healthy until we disembark on Sunday! 

@vietmom so sorry to hear, I would most definitely be frustrated to put it lightly....

Hope your husband recovers quickly.

Now after all these posts about COVID, I reckon they should start making people test before boarding.....then eliminate possible contagion.

EtA : people & crew, of course 

Edited by MrsPeel55

14 hours ago, MrsPeel55 said:

Now after all these posts about COVID, I reckon they should start making people test before boarding

Because it takes several days for an infection to be detected by a test, testing is not foolproof. We tested ourselves almost every day, up to and including departure day. In fact, we had to present a negative test result for the day of sailing. That didn't prevent us from coming down with Covid 5 days later.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bergenbird said:

Does the medical center have Paxlovid or should we bring our own supply?

We weren't offered it, when we called the medical center to report our having tested positive. That's not to say it's not available, of course. We did bring our own, on board, and when we told the medical center that we had it they said 'Oh, good!' Our physician is normally very cautious about prescribing something for prophylaxis reasons. But he didn't blink an eye when we asked for Paxlovid to take aboard. At the time, Paxlovid was covered by our insurance. I think I had read that, when it is available onboard, Paxlovid can go for $800, so it's definitely advantageous to carry your own.

Edited by frankp01
  • Like 2

Thank you so much for everyone's good wishes. My husband's symptoms are already gone, and he is getting very antsy. Unfortunately,  when we had covid a year ago, he continued to test positive for weeks. Hopefully this time will be different, and he will test negative next Tuesday. I still have no symptoms and tested negative yesterday. I will be tested again tomorrow morning. 

If anyone who has been quarantined before has any suggestions for passing the long days besides reading, watching TV, and eating, please share!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vietmom said:

Thank you so much for everyone's good wishes. My husband's symptoms are already gone, and he is getting very antsy. Unfortunately,  when we had covid a year ago, he continued to test positive for weeks. Hopefully this time will be different, and he will test negative next Tuesday. I still have no symptoms and tested negative yesterday. I will be tested again tomorrow morning. 

If anyone who has been quarantined before has any suggestions for passing the long days besides reading, watching TV, and eating, please share!

Use the Vesselfinder website or similar to find out what all the other ships you encounter are. The Concierge sent me down a batch of crosswords (and a Cunard pen), which was very sweet of her. But having to stay inside is the thing. It has further liberalised my views on penal policy. 🙂

• Like 2

On 6/16/2023 at 5:30 PM, exlondoner said:

Use the Vesselfinder website or similar to find out what all the other ships you encounter are. The Concierge sent me down a batch of crosswords (and a Cunard pen), which was very sweet of her. But having to stay inside is the thing. It has further liberalised my views on penal policy. 🙂

Great idea. I think he would like discovering what the ships are.

I went and pick up a crossword puzzle book in the bookstore a couple of days ago.

I agree, it is the forced confinement that is challenging. No space to move or get any exercise either.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 5:28 PM, Host Hattie said:

I'm glad to hear he's feeling better already and that you're still negative. 

Did you get ashore today?

I did go ashore yesterday and walk around a bit. I just walked up to the citadel and wandered around a bit. It was so calm and peaceful and had absolutely beautiful  views.

• Like 6

Sorry to hear about those people who have Covid.  As an illness it is a strange beast.  DH, our adult DD and myself were on the Victoria last December and towards the very end of the cruise it became apparent that there was Covid on board; in fact the people in the cabin next to us were in isolation and we saw the nurse one morning taking swabs.  The 3 of us shared a cabin, were together virtually 24/7 and then had a 5 hours drive back to Manchester.  24 hours after returning home DD tested positive, we immediately did our own tests and were negative and continued to remain so for 3 consecutive days.  We then stopped for 24 hours before testing again for 2 days and were still negative.   DD tested positive for 3 days.  Still trying to work that out.

I returned from the 12 day QE Alaska trip last Tuesday. I started with a sinus headache and congestion at the airport before flying home and less than 24 hours after disembarkation (just after I arrived home) I started a fever and chills and did a home test that was positive.

There were a significant number of people on board who were coughing, sneezing, sniffling, etc. especially when eating in the dining room and very few people wearing masks; mostly waiters and other crew members.

I had never tested positive for Covid before this. We did not mask, but washed hands frequently and used hand sanitizer. We also tried to avoid crowds and always shared a table for two (but tables are very close together in some venues). Fortunately my sister traveling with me continues to test negative but she had Covid about 8 months ago so that may have helped protect her (we both have had all available vaccines too).

Just a reminder that you may want to take masks, tests and take extra precautions to not get sick. My case was not life threatening but miserable for 4 days with a variety of symptoms and I am not fully recovered yet. 

• Like 3

Hi All,

Sorry that I havent updated about our covid situation. We have finally been released from covid jail!!!!  I ended up with covid as well. I was never terribly sick-just a bit of a sore throat and then a runny nose for a couple of days. 

It was difficult to stay stuck in the little cabin and a shame that we missed almost two weeks and 5 ports that we had never been to before.  However, we are trying to remain positive are going to spend these last couple of days doing everything that I wanted to be doing while locked up.

I  want to thank each of you that offered advice, suggestions of things to do, and your own stories.

Thanks again to this wonderful community.

Amy

• Like 4