February 2024 Transpacific

Donabq

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on the three-week Pacific crossing on the Wind Spirit leaving Papeete on February 4, 2024.  For us, it was the traded off of three weeks in the sun being pampered on a ship with sails or shoveling snow in Denver.

We are also booked for the prior sailing around the islands leaving on January 25th.  At Puerto Caldera, we are staying on for next two weeks and finish with the Panamal Canal transit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sail4986 said:

For us, it was the traded off of three weeks in the sun being pampered on a ship with sails or shoveling snow in Denver.

I'm sure this was a close call, not! 🤣  [We've been snowbirds for over ten years.  One snow shovel day in November each year, and that's enough to remind me why we do it!]

We did the reverse trip when the Spirit first went over Puerto Caldera to Tahiti. 19 days of Pacific bliss, plus the cruise around Tahiti.

We had  an ocean that was so calm  for all  those days because we skirted the Equator which is called the doldrums. Beautiful time. We would rather be 19 days at see than 12 hours in a plane. Happy Sailing

• Like 1

I've done two 14 day ocean crossings on the motor yachts, but 21 days aboard a smaller vessel should be interesting.  (Size being relative)StarBreeze.thumb.jpg.b87baac545961db5d8e0637f1e6977d4.jpgThis is the Star Breeze in San Diego next to the Ruby Princess after Last year's transpacific.  (Photo by Renee, another board member)

I'm spending a few days in Tahiti prior to the sailing and some time in Costa Rica afterwards.  

We are looking at this trip as well Sail4986.  We will be sailing on the TA Wind Surf late November from LIS-SXM (our 7th crossing) and these dates for the TransPacific are perfect for us.  Yes, we will most likely do the last sailing in Tahiti first as well.  Then we'll catch the reverse crossing next April back to LIS.

Cheers! 

• Like 1

We loved it,  Wind Spirit, Contra Rica to Tahiti then the 7 day cruise. Glorious, amazing, thrilling all of the above. Our motto better 19 days on the Spirit than 12 hours in a plane! Happy Sailing

• Like 1

I've found it amazingly quick how the days flash by at sea.  I've done three transatlantics and two transpacifics without being bored.  (...and my first transatlantic was when I was nine and easily bored.)

• Like 2

On 6/29/2023 at 12:20 PM, Donabq said:

We are seriously considering this cruise. Just wondering if we would like 21 days at sea. However being pampered for 3 weeks is not all that bad!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 11:40 AM, sail4986 said:

We are booked on the three-week Pacific crossing on the Wind Spirit leaving Papeete on February 4, 2024.  For us, it was the traded off of three weeks in the sun being pampered on a ship with sails or shoveling snow in Denver.

We are also booked for the prior sailing around the islands leaving on January 25th.  At Puerto Caldera, we are staying on for next two weeks and finish with the Panamal Canal transit.

Hi there - we are in Colorado Springs. Do you know if they will deploy the sails during this transpacific? From what I can tell the trade winds seem to mainly come from the east unless I am reading it wrong?

When we sailed from Costa Rica to Tahiti in 2014 on the Wind Spirit. We sailed with full sails and motor of course. However, 3 days before we were supposed to arrive in   Papeete, Tahiti    we were almost there so we full sailed, no motor,  for 2 days and our Captain sailed, no motor,  into the harbor.It was thrilling and we were a day early. Two days of ocean sounds only, strange because people were whispering. Hope you have a sail like that. 

• Like 1