Skorts on the zipline?

On 6/13/2023 at 12:06 PM, gluecksbaer said:

The information on the zipline says no skirts or dresses, but my daughter just outgrew all her shorts and all of the decent length girls shorts sell out before May.  Does anyone know if they will let her ride the zipline in a skort?  (If you aren't familiar, skorts are skirts that have shorts built in underneath.) 

Let's think logically:  WHY does the ship have a rule about shorts?  

- They don't want people to be able to look up ladies' skirts while they're ziplining. 

- A skirt could impede the around-the-waist /between the legs equipment that's necessary for ziplining. 

With those reasons in mind, I think a skort should be acceptable.  Does she have soft knit skorts or the thicker twill-type skorts?  I'd think the soft knits would be more comfortable /would be easier to fit into the canvas harness.  

On 6/13/2023 at 12:26 PM, Cigar King said:

Short are cheap...I'd suggest you buy a pair.  Why risk it?

The OP says "decent length" girls' shorts are sold out. 

I believe it.  I have it easy:  I'm 4'11", and my adult daughters are both 5'1" ... pretty much any short are "decent length" on us.  But girls of average height have trouble finding things that aren't booty-shorts.  And the tall girls just have no chance.  My high school students complain how hard it is for them to find shorts and dresses that meet school dress code.  My youngest worked at The Children's Place while she was in college, and she said parents yelled at her (yelled at her!) all the time about the lack of "decent length" shorts for girls ... as if she were responsible for ordering or manufacturing shorts herself.  But, yeah, that's just how it is right now:  short-short is all that's available at the mall, Walmart and Target.  

Assuming no good shorts are available in the stores, here are a couple ideas: 

- Are people allowed to zipline in (dry) bathing suits?  

- Have you checked Lands End shorts?  I haven't bought girls' shorts in years, but I used to buy modest shorts from them when my girls were younger.  They aren't cheap, but they last -- having two girls and many nieces to "hand down to", I could justify paying the cost.  

- Does your daughter ever wear bike shorts under a tee-shirt dress?  I'd think that'd be acceptable. 

- Bring a pair of jeans or sweats for the zipline (they'll be useful for the skating rink too).  Your daughter could put them on just long enough for this activity. 

- Do you have a pair of old jeans you'd be willing to make into cut-offs?  Could you buy a pair of cheap-cheap old jeans from Goodwill that you could cut into cut-offs?  That'd allow you to control how short they are. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

Skorts are ok. I wore them ziplining on the Allure. I was just told I couldn't zipline wearing a skirt a few times. The first time I told them it was a skort & had to show them. After that, when asked I just lifted the skirt portion to show the shorts. Have fun

On 6/13/2023 at 11:06 AM, gluecksbaer said:

The information on the zipline says no skirts or dresses, but my daughter just outgrew all her shorts and all of the decent length girls shorts sell out before May.  Does anyone know if they will let her ride the zipline in a skort?  (If you aren't familiar, skorts are skirts that have shorts built in underneath.) 

Can you define 'decent' length?

1 hour ago, mywife said:

Skorts are ok. I wore them ziplining on the Allure. I was just told I couldn't zipline wearing a skirt a few times. The first time I told them it was a skort & had to show them. After that, when asked I just lifted the skirt portion to show the shorts. Have fun

Thanks!

And I was looking at the Children’s Place site again and I noticed French Terry shorts in the uniform section too.  Not quite as, for lack of a better term, formal as the others but still look to be a reasonable length.  For what it’s worth, I just got my granddaughter’s bike shorts in and they hit about an inch or so above the knee and are in no way form fitting.  They are not like the tight spandex ones you might be thinking of.   I hope this all helps!

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 5:27 PM, ONECRUISER said:

$6-10(tax & Shipping inc) Walmart or Amazon. Single Father I Raised 3 girls now with 4 Grand Daughters that's all I've done last 32yrs is Buy young Girl Clothes. This at least once a Month if now weekly

A true father!   Cheers to all the fathers of daughters and well done sir.  

I might add that if it just a concern about the zip line, any pants will do the trick.  Then go change back into the skort.  But skirts are shorts with an extra layer of fabric.  So what the concern is, I’m not sure.