Changes coming to BOGO airfare?

julig22

Just read on another site that NCL is resetting their flight ticketing target-date to 75 days, more like it used to be. Sounds good but with all the airline changes and cancellations, I'm not sure that getting flight info earlier guarantees anything.  So instead of complaints about not getting flight information, there will be complaints about changes.

But the other news was about possible enhancements to the air promotion - to allow guest customizations.

• Like 2

I booked my own air travel and just a few weeks later they announced that my flights were changed so I had to call and re-book both my travel to Fairbanks and my return from Vancouver. I had initially planned on going from PDX to ANC then on to FAI but Alaska Airlines dropped the flight between ANC and FAI this meant that I had to fly to SEA on a flight that is two hours earlier and then from SEA to FAI with a two hour layover. The return flights from Vancouver were similar with the flight times changing to earlier. 

On 6/14/2023 at 3:01 PM, bonvoyagie said:

I booked my own air travel and just a few weeks later they announced that my flights were changed so I had to call and re-book both my travel to Fairbanks and my return from Vancouver. I had initially planned on going from PDX to ANC then on to FAI but Alaska Airlines dropped the flight between ANC and FAI this meant that I had to fly to SEA on a flight that is two hours earlier and then from SEA to FAI with a two hour layover. The return flights from Vancouver were similar with the flight times changing to earlier. 

I'm booked from Seward to Vancouver in August - decided it was easier to drive to Seattle (4-5hr drive) rather than even try to get reasonable flights to Anchorage, returning from Vancouver. I usually fly out of Eugene. Direct flights to/from Seattle, no worries about missing connections.

I'll let you know in about 10 days. We're on day 85 for our next trip with NCL air booked. Our last trip in February we were sent an email and an option to accept or decline the flights they were proposing for us. Maybe that's the change that is coming?

3 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

We absolutely love when airlines change schedules. We normally book our own flights that are suboptimal to save money. When airlines change a schedule, they often let you rebook at no charge,,, so we get the optimal, flights.

E.g., a suboptimal flight leaves at a weird time and has a 5 hour layover. with a schedule change, we can get on the more expensive nonstop for no additional cost. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

I'll let you know in about 10 days. We're on day 85 for our next trip with NCL air booked. Our last trip in February we were sent an email and an option to accept or decline the flights they were proposing for us. Maybe that's the change that is coming?

They asked you to accept or decline?!   That's new to me.  I'd love to have that, because that allows me to look for alternatives and if I find something better I can cancel the NCL proposed flights.  75 days out usually would allow you to find alternatives to decide.

16 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Air customizations negate BOGO, per the NCL webinar I watched yesterday. 

Currently that is true.  Comment I read was with respect to upcoming changes, details to come at a future date. Maybe a different interpretation of what was said, assuming it was the same webinar?

12 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Currently that is true.  Comment I read was with respect to upcoming changes, details to come at a future date. Maybe a different interpretation of what was said, assuming it was the same webinar?

Interesting! It sure sounded like there was no customization possible, even in the future. I know several TA's that were on the call expected customization to be offered to the BOGO offers (or perhaps were hoping). Based on what the Sr. Director of Air Ops said, it seems they don't have the staff to do customization for BOGO (it's a department of 300 folks, with 10 - 12 working on the paid air customization side). 

I suppose time will tell. And, hopefully, my interpretation is incorrect. I want to be wrong for my clients and for myself. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Interesting! It sure sounded like there was no customization possible, even in the future. I know several TA's that were on the call expected customization to be offered to the BOGO offers (or perhaps were hoping). Based on what the Sr. Director of Air Ops said, it seems they don't have the staff to do customization for BOGO (it's a department of 300 folks, with 10 - 12 working on the paid air customization side). 

I suppose time will tell. And, hopefully, my interpretation is incorrect. I want to be wrong for my clients and for myself. 

It would be nice if they could at least just offer a couple of options- something that could probably be automated somewhat.  And then those 300 folks could actually focus on making the reservations instead of dealing with the barrage of phone calls when people aren't happy.

On my last trip they booked a short layover in Seattle - doable but just barely, assuming nothing goes wrong.  Given a choice, I would have chosen the next flight, 2 hours later.  A flight I ended up on anyway because of delays, fortunately there was an available seat.  Some of their choices are absurd!

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Air customizations negate BOGO, per the NCL webinar I watched yesterday. 

yes, but I interpret these proposed changes as meaning they might charge for additional services. you want to choose your airline or want a preferred flight?  that’s $75 extra! you want to be able to choose your seats? $25! prepay your baggage fees? twenty bucks!

16 hours ago, Middleager said:

They asked you to accept or decline?!

I seem to recall reading recently that someone (maybe it was @Sailing12Away?) was contacted as the route that NCL could get for them involved an overnight, either at the destination or at a layover, and they wanted to give the option to take that or look for a different flight somehow.

7 minutes ago, UKstages said:

yes, but I interpret these proposed changes as meaning they might charge for additional services. you want to choose your airline or want a preferred flight?  that’s $75 extra! you want to be able to choose your seats? $25! prepay your baggage fees? twenty bucks!

I would also expect there would be fees as well. Choosing airlines or paying a fee to be able to upgrade from economy would be nice.

And NCL if you are listening - maybe waive fees for higher latitudes levels as a perk...😊

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

If you want to change anything, make sure you do it prior to the 75 day cutoff as they will not discuss anything inside of 75 days.

4 hours ago, hallux said:

I seem to recall reading recently that someone (maybe it was @Sailing12Away?) was contacted as the route that NCL could get for them involved an overnight, either at the destination or at a layover, and they wanted to give the option to take that or look for a different flight somehow.

Nope, someone else. Here's the email we got back in December for our February trip. Hoping that trend continues as it still gives you an out. Couldn't find anything better or cheaper so we left it as is.

image.thumb.png.d4918b9fa6ea412af7a2ae532d0b10cd.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

If you're wrong for your clients and yourself, that's a good thing? 😁

By the way, regarding NCL's "other" airline department (not the BOGO)...what (if any) advantage is there to book with them?

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

If you're wrong for your clients and yourself, that's a good thing? 😁

By the way, regarding NCL's "other" airline department (not the BOGO)...what (if any) advantage is there to book with them?

If I'm wrong about customizations coming. My takeaway from the webinar is no customizations are allowed with the BOGO Airfare. That's what I hope I'm wrong about!! Hopefully in the future I'll be able to say yes, for an extra $25 you can choose an AM or PM flight...or whatever the case may be. 

I find no advantage to the Premium Air Service. You have to pay a $50 fee to have NCL handle your air. To me, that's ridiculous! Just book your own flights for no charge...but hey, if someone wants to pay NCL a few bucks to book their flight, then I guess go ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1