10am to 4pm in Rome

alpineapa

Hi, we booked the express train from the port to Roma Ostiense. It arrives at 10h10 am and leaves at 4h30pm.

We were thinking of taking a cab from the train to the Pantheon and then spend our time in that area, including lunch (Pantheon, Fontana di Trevi, Piazza Navona) and then take a taxi back to the train station. How easy will it be to grab taxis, do they do UBER in Rome?

We've been a few times already in those places but kids (10 and 13) have never but I can't imagine they will want to spend too much time in each area so another option would be to do a couple of hours at the Pantheon then walk to either Pantheon or Colosseum (if even good walking area) and then cab to train station.

Any thoughts/advice?

thanks!

1 hour ago, alpineapa said:

Hi, we booked the express train from the port to Roma Ostiense. It arrives at 10h10 am and leaves at 4h30pm.

We were thinking of taking a cab from the train to the Pantheon and then spend our time in that area, including lunch (Pantheon, Fontana di Trevi, Piazza Navona) and then take a taxi back to the train station. How easy will it be to grab taxis, do they do UBER in Rome?

We've been a few times already in those places but kids (10 and 13) have never but I can't imagine they will want to spend too much time in each area so another option would be to do a couple of hours at the Pantheon then walk to either Pantheon or Colosseum (if even good walking area) and then cab to train station.

Any thoughts/advice?

thanks!

I can tell you that there is a taxi stand right beside the Parthenon.  Multiple taxis there pretty much at all times.  Similar situation in other locations around the tourist area. 

By the way, if it’s a weekend, you need to order tickets for the Pantheon in advance.  Not sure about week days.  Might vary depending on when you visit. 
In May when I was there, the line to get in was a few hundred people long.  I didn’t check to see if these were ticketed people or not. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Tickets will be required for the Pantheon every day starting July 1st.

Here is an article on the original announcement:  5 euro ticket for Rome's Pantheon introduced - English - ANSA.it

The July 1 date was announced this week at the same time a direct train to Pompei was announced but I can only find that in Italian:  Sangiuliano: "Dal primo luglio si paga l'ingresso al Pantheon" - Italia - ANSA.it

Edited by euro cruiser

Thanks for the heads up, we will grab tickets to the Pantheon

thoughts on walking to Colosseum and then taking taxi to train?

Arrive 10h10 am train station.....take a train to Piazza Navona and stroll that area until around 11h30

walk to Pantheon......stroll that area, possibly get tickets in advance to see inside and have lunch.......(till approx. 2pm).

walk to Fontana di Trevi and stroll around....till approx. 3pm...

sounds like it would be too tight to fit in Colosseum if our train is at 4h30.....is there something else that would be easier?

I guess if we don't go inside Pantheon and spend less time strolling every where, we could be done Pantheon at 1pm and Trevi at 2pm which would leave 2.5 hrs to get to colosseum and train station....

I guess it depends on your definition of "stroll around".  I assume you mean to take a taxi to Piazza Navona (not a train).

I think I would make the plan for all your desired spots.  Then just adapt on the day of based on how much you have strolled around.

2 hours ago, alpineapa said:

Thanks for the heads up, we will grab tickets to the Pantheon

thoughts on walking to Colosseum and then taking taxi to train?

Arrive 10h10 am train station.....take a train to Piazza Navona and stroll that area until around 11h30

walk to Pantheon......stroll that area, possibly get tickets in advance to see inside and have lunch.......(till approx. 2pm).

walk to Fontana di Trevi and stroll around....till approx. 3pm...

sounds like it would be too tight to fit in Colosseum if our train is at 4h30.....is there something else that would be easier?

I guess if we don't go inside Pantheon and spend less time strolling every where, we could be done Pantheon at 1pm and Trevi at 2pm which would leave 2.5 hrs to get to colosseum and train station....

Just some comments.

Take a taxi to Piazza Navona.

After strolling around, stop at the Church of San Luigi dei Francesi to see the Caravaggios (at front on the left).  It is between Navona and Pantheon.  I have never seen a line to get in and it will be a short visit.

Do not skip going inside the Pantheon. It is the only way to really appreciate the beauty and engineering wonder of a building that has stood for 2000 years.

There is a great place for a quick lunch right on the square (on the left side as you come out of the Pantheon) at L'Antica Salumeria.  Try the porchetta sandwiches.  Then go for gelato diagonally across the square at Gelateria Venchi at the corner by the Albergo del Senato hotel.  It is right on the side street you would be taking if you decide to walk to the Trevi fountain.

Depending on time, you can decide whether to go to Trevi or to the Colosseum, or both.

Do not walk to the Colosseum.  It is a 25-30 minute walk on hot, twisted, congested streets with an enormous amount of traffic.  Take a taxi there (about 10-12 euros).

Walk around the Colosseum and take a taxi to the train station.

• Like 1

We had mixed luck with taxis, I think bc we were a group of 5. We had LOTS cancel on us, and had to give up and Uber twice. You’ll probably be fine if you only have 4, but if your group is bigger, give yourself a cushion of time with a taxi.

Additionally, idk if you can find any companies whose times work for you, but our family’s favorite thing we did was a Vespa tour (my kids are 14, 15, and 16). We did not drive but rode on the back and sidecar and had headsets to hear about all the sites. It was an awesome way to see tons of stuff quickly.

E98AAEBF-C023-43CE-862A-B49095682E9A.thumb.jpeg.22d33bb0080c928c20406bb451978e07.jpeg810910A7-315D-4AFF-A66E-008216261C6C.thumb.jpeg.ecd5b2c6b1df2a001de54c333ca33c4e.jpeg2279E9B6-99F4-47DA-8CB8-5251502D2BAA.thumb.jpeg.b29e11b219a1c261e348e4adc8dab285.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll add to marazul’s post.  Yes to antica Salumeria for a sandwich and maybe a sweet.  TheVenchi store has a wonderful selection of candy and chocolates.  Across from it is the Tasso d’ Oro coffee shop.  Get their cafe granita con panna!  Behind the Pantheon you will find the Bascillica Sopra Minerva.  It looks very plain on the outside but it is wonderful inside.  A Michelangelo sculpture, beautiful ceiling, stained glass.  The remains of St. Catherine of Sienna encased on the altar.  It is one of my favorite churches in Europe.  And the cool Bernini statue of the elephant and obelisk just outside.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I’ll add to marazul’s post.  Yes to antica Salumeria for a sandwich and maybe a sweet.  TheVenchi store has a wonderful selection of candy and chocolates.  Across from it is the Tasso d’ Oro coffee shop.  Get their cafe granita con panna!  Behind the Pantheon you will find the Bascillica Sopra Minerva.  It looks very plain on the outside but it is wonderful inside.  A Michelangelo sculpture, beautiful ceiling, stained glass.  The remains of St. Catherine of Sienna encased on the altar.  It is one of my favorite churches in Europe.  And the cool Bernini statue of the elephant and obelisk just outside.  

Love that church! 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 10:21 AM, marazul said:

Just some comments.

Take a taxi to Piazza Navona.

After strolling around, stop at the Church of San Luigi dei Francesi to see the Caravaggios (at front on the left).  It is between Navona and Pantheon.  I have never seen a line to get in and it will be a short visit.

Do not skip going inside the Pantheon. It is the only way to really appreciate the beauty and engineering wonder of a building that has stood for 2000 years.

There is a great place for a quick lunch right on the square (on the left side as you come out of the Pantheon) at L'Antica Salumeria.  Try the porchetta sandwiches.  Then go for gelato diagonally across the square at Gelateria Venchi at the corner by the Albergo del Senato hotel.  It is right on the side street you would be taking if you decide to walk to the Trevi fountain.

Depending on time, you can decide whether to go to Trevi or to the Colosseum, or both.

Do not walk to the Colosseum.  It is a 25-30 minute walk on hot, twisted, congested streets with an enormous amount of traffic.  Take a taxi there (about 10-12 euros).

Walk around the Colosseum and take a taxi to the train station.

Thanks again for the great advice. L'Antica Salumeria looks yummy on google but my wife/kids were hopping for a good pizza place, is there one in that area you would recommend? even better if we can make a reservation.

5 minutes ago, alpineapa said:

Thanks again for the great advice. L'Antica Salumeria looks yummy on google but my wife/kids were hopping for a good pizza place, is there one in that area you would recommend? even better if we can make a reservation.

You can get good pizza in several places in that area. No reservations needed.  Just pick one as you go along. You are tight on your time. Keep the deli (Antica Salumeria) in mind just in case.

I think we will flip it around as my son really wants to see the colosseum.....so I was thinking we would cab to colosseum and then cab to piazza navona and then walk around that area (Pantheon, Fontana di Trevi). What is the latest you would leave that area by cab for a 4h30 train?  (Roma Ostiense).

3 minutes ago, alpineapa said:

I think we will flip it around as my son really wants to see the colosseum.....so I was thinking we would cab to colosseum and then cab to piazza navona and then walk around that area (Pantheon, Fontana di Trevi). What is the latest you would leave that area by cab for a 4h30 train?  (Roma Ostiense).

Go taxi to Colosseum, taxi toTrevi, walk (10-12 minutes) to Navona and Pantheon.  (Or Pantheon and Navona.) Pantheon and Navona are a 5 minute walk from each other.  You should get to the taxi line by the Pantheon by 3:45 at the latest. It should be a 15-20 minute drive to the station.  This cuts about 10 minutes from your ride to the station. 

You could also walk from the Colosseum to Trevi.  It should take 15-20 minutes and probably as fast as a taxi with the traffic.

I went on the site to buy colosseum tickets and they are sold out. I know we are too last minute (it's 06/29). Is it still worth going to the colosseum without tickets, i.e. is there an area to take pictures of the outside, etc? Do they sell tickets onsite just that the line will be much longer? We only wanted to spend around an hour max as after the colosseum we wanted to go to Trevi/Pantheon area....we found a few tours on viator but they include the forum and much longer 

I found a tour....11am which seems ideal as train arrives at 10h10am but it is $300 EUR for 4 people...on Viator. It's 75 minutes.

Description;

Waiting in admission lines in Rome can be daunting, especially during summer when crowds swell and temperatures soar. On this small-group tour, save time by skipping admission lines at the Colosseum, one of the most visited—and crowded—attractions in the world. That should leave you with peace of mind and a little more time to explore one of Italy’s most compelling attractions. A guided small-group tour of the Colosseum in Rome Save time spent waiting in line with “express” admission Travel with a guide: Learn about ancient Roman history Access the ground floor, second level, Forum, and Palatine Hill

Read more about Colosseum Small Group Experience Official Guided Tour & Ticket included - https://www.viator.com/tours/Rome/Colosseo-Express-Small-Group-Guided-Tour-With-Tickets-Included/d511-227285P1?mcid=56757

On 6/22/2023 at 8:09 AM, alpineapa said:

I went on the site to buy colosseum tickets and they are sold out. I know we are too last minute (it's 06/29). Is it still worth going to the colosseum without tickets, i.e. is there an area to take pictures of the outside, etc? Do they sell tickets onsite just that the line will be much longer? We only wanted to spend around an hour max as after the colosseum we wanted to go to Trevi/Pantheon area....we found a few tours on viator but they include the forum and much longer 

You can take lots of pictures from the outside, especially from the side facing the Forum. It is wide open for great pictures.

Your only chance to go inside is with a private tour.

No chance to buy tickets on-site.

If you need to shorten your itinerary, skip Trevi and take a taxi to the Navona-Pantheon area. That would save you a lot of time for a 5 minute photo op at the fountain.

On the train back to the port so thought I’d provide an update on what we did.

we left the boat at 8am and took the bus to the train station. It was $6 per person and the bus is well indicated when you turn left outside the terminal, very easy to find.

we got to the train station around 830 and we had bought express tickets at 916 but saw on the board there was a train at 842 so we bought tickets for that one from a machine as we got to roma ostienso 30 minutes before. From there we took a taxi (easy to find at terminal) to the colosseum (around $10) at the colosseum we walked around, took pictures and then walked to trevi fountain. It was an easy walk so I would recommend walking instead of taxi. After Trevi, we walked to Pantheon where we sat at a restaurant and shared a pre-lunch pizza and beverages. It was around 11 by then. After that, we went to Piazza Navona and walked around a bit and went to our lunch reservation which was close to there at 1230. After lunch, we walked to Transverse area for some Gelato. The gelato place was great but Transverse area was not as great as we expected. We walked all the way to the train station (around 2km) and got lucky that a train was leaving at that exact moment so we grabbed it as kids were too tired to stay until our Ce express train. It was very hot outside. We enjoyed our day, got to see some sights and eat some Italian food

• Like 2

On 6/22/2023 at 8:09 AM, alpineapa said:

I went on the site to buy colosseum tickets and they are sold out. I know we are too last minute (it's 06/29)

You really needed to plan way ahead (sorry that advice is a little late).  Last year when I wanted tickets to the Colosseum, I had to set my alarm for 4:00 am EDT so that I could purchase them 30 days in advance at the exact moment they went on sale.  The English guided tours were still sold out within minutes, but I at least managed to get a reserved time for the self-guided tour including the underground portion of the arena. It was worth the hassle.

On 7/2/2023 at 3:00 PM, TheHawk1 said:

You really needed to plan way ahead (sorry that advice is a little late).  Last year when I wanted tickets to the Colosseum, I had to set my alarm for 4:00 am EDT so that I could purchase them 30 days in advance at the exact moment they went on sale.  The English guided tours were still sold out within minutes, but I at least managed to get a reserved time for the self-guided tour including the underground portion of the arena. It was worth the hassle.

Hi,  We will be in Rome in Oct. I've been monitoring the coopculture.it site to see the exact time they go on sale 30 days advance.  The tickets for the Wonders of the Colosseum tour English guided tour underground and arena sell out immediately and seem impossible to get. Sometimes, only 1 ticket is shown available.  I can't figure out the exact time?.. Is it 9am Rome time (12am PT?). It doesn't look like  any more tickets are released closer to the time either. Don't really want to buy from a 3rd party reseller for a tour. You managed to get the self-guided audio tour. Those tickets seem to sell out immediately as well.  Since Oct is shoulder season in Rome, hoping tickets will be easier to get?  Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

15 minutes ago, TeamCan said:

Hi,  We will be in Rome in Oct. I've been monitoring the coopculture.it site to see the exact time they go on sale 30 days advance.  The tickets for the Wonders of the Colosseum tour English guided tour underground and arena sell out immediately and seem impossible to get. Sometimes, only 1 ticket is shown available.  I can't figure out the exact time?.. Is it 9am Rome time (12am PT?). It doesn't look like  any more tickets are released closer to the time either. Don't really want to buy from a 3rd party reseller for a tour. You managed to get the self-guided audio tour. Those tickets seem to sell out immediately as well.  Since Oct is shoulder season in Rome, hoping tickets will be easier to get?  Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

It's midnight Rome time.  However,  reseller bots scoop up all the tickets instantly leaving only one.

If this happens   buy the Italian or Spanish tours and follow it with the coopculture app.

Sometimes additional tickets are released closer to the date.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, marazul said:

It's midnight Rome time.  However,  reseller bots scoop up all the tickets instantly leaving only one.

If this happens   buy the Italian or Spanish tours and follow it with the coopculture app.

Sometimes additional tickets are released closer to the date.

Thank you for the advice!  I'll try midnight Rome time(3pm PT) I thought the tickets were released 30 days exactly to the tour time. eg ticket for 11am Aug25 will be released at 11am Rome time (2am PT)) July 26.  I did read that reseller bots scoop up all the tickets instantly.  This explains why I see only 1 ticket available occasionally 🤣 .  The Italian, Spanish, French tours seem to be sold out as well 30 days b4. I've been monitoring the site daily.... it doesn't seem like any additional tickets are released closer to the date.

17 hours ago, TeamCan said:

Thank you for the advice!  I'll try midnight Rome time(3pm PT) I thought the tickets were released 30 days exactly to the tour time. eg ticket for 11am Aug25 will be released at 11am Rome time (2am PT)) July 26.  I did read that reseller bots scoop up all the tickets instantly.  This explains why I see only 1 ticket available occasionally 🤣 .  The Italian, Spanish, French tours seem to be sold out as well 30 days b4. I've been monitoring the site daily.... it doesn't seem like any additional tickets are released closer to the date.

I believe the tickets for a given date that is 30 days in advance are all released at once in the morning.  I agree that it must be bots grabbing the tickets. There was nothing left about 10 minutes after they were released. I've had an easier time getting concert tickets. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2023 at 11:03 AM, TheHawk1 said:

I believe the tickets for a given date that is 30 days in advance are all released at once in the morning.  I agree that it must be bots grabbing the tickets. There was nothing left about 10 minutes after they were released. I've had an easier time getting concert tickets. 

I've had an easier time getting concert tickets. ... So True!😬