What is this thingy in my cabin on the Crown Princess?

Digisailor

The cabin steward and guest services didn’t seem to know… 

it has a slide switch and a two color (red and green) LED… and a plastic (lucite?) rod in the center.    It’s completely encased in plastic except for the slide switch.  If I slide the switch the LES changes color.  

it occurred to me it might be a motion detector… but you wouldn’t hide something like that way over in a corner behind the phone.  ditto for an emergency light.  

I’m leaving it on green for now… but it is curious.  

Google picture search was not helpful on this either.  

IMG_0315.jpeg

IMG_0313.jpeg

IMG_0314.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Digisailor said:

it has a slide switch and a two color (red and green) LED… and a plastic (lucite?) rod in the center.    It’s completely encased in plastic except for the slide switch.  If I slide the switch the LES changes color.  

it occurred to me it might be a motion detector… but you wouldn’t hide something like that way over in a corner behind the phone.  ditto for an emergency light.  

IMG_0315.jpeg

IMG_0313.jpeg

IMG_0314.jpeg

I believe these used to be used to turn off the in cabin announcements, if you didn’t want to hear them. Except, emergency announcements are still going to come through.

PCL doesn’t make these in room non-emergency announcements anymore.  But, other cruise lines do, and that would come in handy. 

You should only see these on the older ships.   Anyway, that’s what I’ve been told.  😳

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Digisailor said:

IMG_0315.jpeg

IMG_0313.jpeg

IMG_0314.jpeg

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q="emergency light"&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=119&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

I believe these used to be used to turn off the in cabin announcements, if you didn’t want to hear them. Except, emergency announcements are still going to come through.

PCL doesn’t make these in room non-emergency announcements anymore.  But, other cruise lines do, and that would come in handy. 

You should only see these on the older ships.   Anyway, that’s what I’ve been told.  😳

Sorry to say you are wrong,  it is emergency lighting should the stateroom lose power.  Leave it on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Sorry to say you are wrong,  it is emergency lighting should the stateroom lose power.  Leave it on.

That’s great to know.  I had no idea when we sailed the Crown and asked.  That’s what I was told.  😂

The crew really should know what it is.

Thank you for correcting this.

Hey, @Digisailor now you can tell the CREW OB what it is.  Unless, they are all new?  😳

5 hours ago, Colorado Coasty said:

It will also pull out to use as an emergency flashlight.

6 hours ago, Colorado Coasty said:

It will also pull out to use as an emergency flashlight.

Did you see it pulled out?  Interesting.

Hope we never have to use it.  We do travel with our own miniature flashlights.

I asked. Room steward indicated that it was an emergency light in case of power outage. I did pull it out and it was a non-US outlet. I swore at one time, this was another US outlet in the mini suites that was now converted.

Mine was red or green, depending on the slider. I guess I didn't know if emergency went out if I was supposed to pull it out or what. Or if electricity went out, if it lights up brightly or what.image.thumb.jpeg.ad27d55eeaf7db8e72fd8bef2f6b4443.jpeg

IMG_2115.jpeg

Edited by Coral

follow up….

the room steward was new to the ship but he asked about it.  Room stewards supervisor told him it was an emergency light.  

In our cabin I don’t think it is well positioned for an emergency… and the switch needs to be in the position that makes the LED green for it to light when power is interrupted - it was red when we boarded.  I pulled it out to experiment.  

It occupies a recessed round pronged European style plug.   Some pictures follow.  

The crew should probably be trained to check for the slide switch position… it is totally unlabeled.  

IMG_0317.jpeg

IMG_0318.jpeg

IMG_0319.jpeg

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Was it actually bright enough to light up the room?  Or the area?

Just a small area. It was still day out but the light coming off it was no more than a older incandescent flashlight