India: Travel Tips, Trends? Ideas & Insights?

TLCOhio

davidgv

the simplest of tips , use the official indian web site:  e-Visa (indianvisaonline.gov.in).

very simple process fill in form, upload image of passport and a photo and  pays your money.

when received print off. need to take hard copy with you for immigration at Indian airport

be warned several "agency" web sites will charge you an extra fee on web,

On 9/5/2023 at 7:14 AM, davidgv said:

Are there any tips for getting a tourist visa for India - I have a UK Passport.

Be patient! There are lots of questions to complete.. parents names, list of countries you have visited. 
Plus sometimes the website can be very slow. 
But so worth it to get to visit India! A beautiful country with lovely people and sights you will remember forever! Enjoy your trip.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2023 at 4:18 AM, Kristal Blade said:

Be patient! There are lots of questions to complete.. parents names, list of countries you have visited.   Plus sometimes the website can be very slow.  But so worth it to get to visit India! A beautiful country with lovely people and sights you will remember forever! Enjoy your trip.

Appreciate the above great follow-up and background the patience needed when doing the India visa process.  Am I understand that you wait to do this process within a month for when you are planning to arrive in India?  

From the Times of India latest month, they had this headline: Americans' favourite destinations in India" in an article by Shikha Gautam with these highlights: “India hosts an impressive number of international visitors from the US every year, attracting backpackers as well as those seeking luxe escapes to those in search of a spiritual connect and a fascinating culture.”

This profile has a list of top Indian destinations that are big with travelers from America. For us, below are two of their top three suggestions.  We currently have on our schedule to explore both of these two that are highlighted below:

"Goa stays on top of this list owing to its welcoming and boho vibe, luring backpackers and a usually younger crowd. It's also an ideal tropical getaway for American families keen on a budget holiday. Goa is also where luxury is seemingly affordable and is a place that's perfect for long stays as well."

"Jaipur, along with nearby Agra, sees droves of tourists from all over the world and a very impressive number from America as well. You can start your sojourn with Rajasthan and get a peek into its royal heritage when in India, further moving to Jodhpur and onwards."

Any suggestions, experiences, secrets, tips, etc., to share for either Jaipur or Goa?

Full story at:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/travel/destinations/americans-favourite-destinations-in-india/photostory/103928412.cms

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 107,688 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Hi again TLC,

Yes, don’t apply for your visa too early as it is valid from the date it is completed, if memory serves. And print out a colour copy of your receipt/visa form. I did the form for myself and my husband and I did them on different days! The frustration of pausing, restarting and amount of info required was just too much to do 2 forms in one day.

I’ve not been to Goa. But I have visited Kerala, the next door state. It’s not so party central, but beautiful and very “Indian”! Great food, gorgeous scenery, wonderful people, amazing wildlife…. I love India!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2023 at 7:16 PM, Kristal Blade said:

Hi again TLC,

Yes, don’t apply for your visa too early as it is valid from the date it is completed, if memory serves. And print out a colour copy of your receipt/visa form. I did the form for myself and my husband and I did them on different days! The frustration of pausing, restarting and amount of info required was just too much to do 2 forms in one day.

I’ve not been to Goa. But I have visited Kerala, the next door state. It’s not so party central, but beautiful and very “Indian”! Great food, gorgeous scenery, wonderful people, amazing wildlife…. I love India!

Hi Kristal, I'm Richard. As you've completed an Indian visa please would you give me a bit of info if you don't mind. I'm currently filling out an application for my February cruise and am stuck with the question 'Reference name and address in India'. As I'm on a cruise I obviously don't know anybody there so was wondering what information goes in there.  Many thanks. Richard. 

Hi Richard,

I think you can just put in the address of the first port you arrive at. Or try putting in ship name and see if that works. We have usually been on land before our cruise so had a hotel name and address.

It’s a bit of a trial of a form, isn’t it? I remember having to be really patient as it takes a time to fill it in then loading can take a while. Do take a note of your reference numbers, you need them to check up on the progress of the applications. I did 2, one for me & one for my other half. They took different times to load.

Best of luck!

56 minutes ago, Kristal Blade said:

Hi Richard,

I think you can just put in the address of the first port you arrive at. Or try putting in ship name and see if that works. We have usually been on land before our cruise so had a hotel name and address.

It’s a bit of a trial of a form, isn’t it? I remember having to be really patient as it takes a time to fill it in then loading can take a while. Do take a note of your reference numbers, you need them to check up on the progress of the applications. I did 2, one for me & one for my other half. They took different times to load.

Best of luck!

Thanks Kristal, I'll give it a go.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2023 at 2:16 PM, Kristal Blade said:

Hi again TLC,  Yes, don’t apply for your visa too early as it is valid from the date it is completed, if memory serves. And print out a colour copy of your receipt/visa form. I did the form for myself and my husband and I did them on different days! The frustration of pausing, restarting and amount of info required was just too much to do 2 forms in one day.   I’ve not been to Goa. But I have visited Kerala, the next door state. It’s not so party central, but beautiful and very “Indian”! Great food, gorgeous scenery, wonderful people, amazing wildlife…. I love India!

Appreciate these great tips and comments about the India Visa process, your love for India, etc.  Wonderful follow-up and details.  Keep it coming!!  Enjoying this wonderful sharing. 

From Condé Nast Traveler magazine five days ago, they had this headline: Best Places to Go in Asia in 2024" with this sub-headline:  "From Sri Lanka's shores to Uzbekistan's Silk Road, Asia offers reasons galore to pack your bags and head east.

Here are some of their opening summary: “It’s official, Asia is back—brighter, bolder, and more ambitious than ever. The region took longer than others to shake off pandemic-related travel restrictions and border closures, but has returned in full force, eager to remind international travelers what they’ve been missing.”

For India, they give a major focus for Kochi, India with an opening summary of "Go for: sustainable initiatives, stunning waterways, local festivals".  Here is more specifics cited:  "Kochi’s waterways have lured visitors for centuries, its verdant backwaters, lagoons and rivers as attractive to travelers today as they were to Arab, Chinese, and European merchants in the 1300s."

Full story at:

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/best-places-to-go-in-asia-2024?utm_source=nl&utm_brand=cnt&utm_mailing=CNT_Daily_AM_112023&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_medium=email&bxid=5db3f99524c17c23c34ecf3e&cndid=6657468&hasha=e1ca3019f9f535a4b98389997c63b892&hashb=7daf2541a0de702392cfe60ed513a5c2d1d23598&hashc=f541a9e649534cc2931bd57d58d8c2cac2bb8c5d298f722bad5b05cc8ad5ece2&esrc=IDCONDENAST_REGGATE&utm_term=CNT_Daily

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 73,356 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/

• 2 weeks later...

From the Lonely Planet website, they have just released their top, must see lists for 2024.  

Ranked at the tops for countries deserving attention, they cited India.  With the headline: Best in Travel 2024, they had these highlights for India: “New flight routes are providing easy access from Europe and America to much-loved hubs such as Delhi, Mumbai, Goa and Kerala. India's railways are also in for a revamp, with stylish new trains rolling out across the network. Take a 2000 mile boat trip on the MV Ganga Vilas, the world's longest river cruise. For any traveler itching for a dose of dosas and a top-up of temples, this is the ideal time to see the world's most colorful country.

Sound exciting and interesting?  Looking forward to early February 2024 when we first visit what is now the world's most populated nation with such an amazing variety of history, culture, architecture, food, etc.  

Full story at:

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/best-in-travel#india

For added India insights and information, connect at: 

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/india

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 60,106 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

• 2 weeks later...

From Condé Nast Traveler magazine four days ago, they had this headline: In Mumbai and Delhi, Finding Inspiration in the Unapologetic Flavors of India’s Street Food" with this sub-headline: "When the acclaimed team behind New York's most popular Indian restaurants headed home—intent on eating their way through roadside fried-chicken stalls and no-frills omelet houses—writer Alex Bhattacharji followed.

Here are some of the interesting reporting highlights involving these two NYC chefs:One of the joys of eating with Pandya and Mazumdar, I quickly discovered, is that there are no rules—just a few guidelines:  1. You can eat any dish, no matter how grand, with your hands. You may lick your fingers. (Also, do not drink the finger bowls.)  2. You will not be deterred by the absence of a table—and if a car hood is available, a table is, in fact, present.  3. You will learn to endure looks of concern from tour guides, hotel concierges, and taxi drivers who offer to take you to 'a nice place' instead of wherever the Unapologetic team has picked for the day.  4.You will try for moderation and fail spectacularly.

There are many fascinating visuals featured in this story that raises up, UP the excitement for early February 2024 when we explore India for the first time.  But due to safety and health reasons, what degree of care do we exercise as to the type of street food should we dare to try and sample?  Tips and insights?  Here below is one of the graphics featured with this profile:

image.thumb.png.04a51eecf34cdb4a0727349407956e0d.png

Full story at:

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/in-mumbai-and-delhi-finding-inspiration-in-unapologetic-flavors

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 55,326 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

On 10/8/2023 at 7:16 PM, Kristal Blade said:

Hi again TLC,

Hi Kristal, I have a couple of questions that hopefully you could answer. Firstly, did you take malaria tablets for your visit, only I’ve seen it recommended on the government site? We’re just considering a cruise which visits India and looking at what requirements we’d need regarding vaccinations, visas etc., so your visa information is really helpful. The cruise is similar to Terry’s itinerary but starts in Singapore, then continues to Phuket, Sri Lanka and then on to India. Which month did you visit? Do you know what November’s weather would be like? TIA.

14 minutes ago, villauk said:

Hi Kristal, I have a couple of questions that hopefully you could answer. Firstly, did you take malaria tablets for your visit, only I’ve seen it recommended on the government site? We’re just considering a cruise which visits India and looking at what requirements we’d need regarding vaccinations, visas etc., so your visa information is really helpful. The cruise is similar to Terry’s itinerary but starts in Singapore, then continues to Phuket, Sri Lanka and then on to India. Which month did you visit? Do you know what November’s weather would be like? TIA.

Hi Villauk,

we have never taken malaria pills for India. Check the government site carefully as the recommendations may be for specific areas at certain times of year, perhaps at monsoon time. 
We have visited in December to March. In December it’s lovely weather. Warm, not too humid and clear skies. But if you are in Mumbai you may find it a lot more humid than home. I would imagine November would be similar. You are well out of monsoon season by then. 
In Mumbai we did a terrific private tour, just me and my husband, where we went with a guide to about 3 or 4 restaurants plus Crawford Market. It was good to have a guide taking us into restaurants that we wouldn’t have gone into on our own! But if you want a taste of luxury book yourself in for afternoon tea at the Taj Palace Hotel. We stayed there for 3 nights and it was the best hotel we have ever experienced.

I hope you enjoy India, the people are lovely and the sights are wonderful. 

1 minute ago, Kristal Blade said:

Hi Villauk,

we have never taken malaria pills for India. Check the government site carefully as the recommendations may be for specific areas at certain times of year, perhaps at monsoon time. 
We have visited in December to March. In December it’s lovely weather. Warm, not too humid and clear skies. But if you are in Mumbai you may find it a lot more humid than home. I would imagine November would be similar. You are well out of monsoon season by then. 
In Mumbai we did a terrific private tour, just me and my husband, where we went with a guide to about 3 or 4 restaurants plus Crawford Market. It was good to have a guide taking us into restaurants that we wouldn’t have gone into on our own! But if you want a taste of luxury book yourself in for afternoon tea at the Taj Palace Hotel. We stayed there for 3 nights and it was the best hotel we have ever experienced.

I hope you enjoy India, the people are lovely and the sights are wonderful. 

Thank you so much for your prompt, informative reply 😉.

Appreciate these great questions, helpful postings and follow-ups.  

From a newspaper in India earlier this month, they had this headline: 5 essential travel tips for first-time visitors to India” by Zarafshan Shiraz with these highlights: “India is a land of contrasts, with a rich and diverse culture that is sure to amaze and captivate visitors from all over the world however, it can also be a challenging place to travel, especially for first-time visitors. This is why it is important to plan your trip carefully and be aware of the potential challenges you may face.”

Full story at:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/lifestyle/travel/5-essential-travel-tips-for-first-time-visitors-to-india-101701763300516.html

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 34,289 views.  Many pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Have enjoyed this thread everyone!

Leaving 12 days from now for India and thankfully have secured our Visas.  A bit of a tedious process, mostly due to the uploading of the photo and passport based upon the size requirements.  It took a bit of fudging to get it working!

My biggest warning to everyone applying is to pay close attention to your application when you have the opportunity to proof it prior to payment.   2-3 items I had filled in had changed!!!  One particular question was related if any family members or yourself were/are related to the Pakistanis.  I marked "No" and my proof came back "Yes"!   Another question asked if the country for which I was applying the Visa, i.e. India, was a resident for the past 2+ years.  I marked "No".  My proof came back "Yes".

Fortunately, I caught these errors, otherwise I'm certain there would have been a delay!

Safe travels to all!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Condocat said:

Have enjoyed this thread everyone!   Leaving 12 days from now for India and thankfully have secured our Visas.  A bit of a tedious process, mostly due to the uploading of the photo and passport based upon the size requirements.  It took a bit of fudging to get it working!  My biggest warning to everyone applying is to pay close attention to your application when you have the opportunity to proof it prior to payment.   2-3 items I had filled in had changed!!!  One particular question was related if any family members or yourself were/are related to the Pakistanis.  I marked "No" and my proof came back "Yes"!   Another question asked if the country for which I was applying the Visa, i.e. India, was a resident for the past 2+ years.  I marked "No".  My proof came back "Yes".  Fortunately, I caught these errors, otherwise I'm certain there would have been a delay!  Safe travels to all!

Appreciate these follow-up details about the India Visa process.  Am planning to do this coming week.  Bringing lots of care and patience!!  

From the London/UK Sunday Times this weekend, they had this headline: Best holiday destinations for 2024 with one of their highlights focused on this nation/location.  

Among their reporting highlights:Never been to India? Don’t know where to start? Then this could be the holiday for you: a 15-night tour of the northern and southern regions of the subcontinent that begins in Delhi and climaxes in Kerala. In between, you’ll enjoy the Taj Mahal sunrise; Sariska for the tigers; Jaipur for its marvels of science and architecture; Kochi for dinner with a local family and Munnar for the tea estates.”

Our plan will take us to four of these mentioned highlights for India, plus other key sights, sites and stops.  

Full story and other travel ideas/tips for 2024 at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-best-holiday-destinations-for-2024-a-month-by-month-guide-jvds5pq6s

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 32,650 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

From the London/UK Daily Mail this past week, they had this headline: India's gold stars: From a 24-carat temple to a mountain retreat with hypnotic views, prepare to be dazzled with one of these highlights: “India has a population of 1.4 billion and, as travelling here can be a culture shock.”

This story highlighted a few locations in the north that we will not be visiting in our first trip there. They noted that many "many holidaymakers prefer to come on an escorted tour" due to the complex nature of India.  

This story did share these insights for life in India’s capital:  "We admire red and white Mughal-era architecture, learn the art of paper-cutting and make perfume. And there’s the local Punjab specialty of ‘Kulcha’ to try, India’s answer to a Cornish pasty – hot bread stuffed with meat, cheese or vegetables served with sweet chutney.  Best of all is a cycle-rickshaw ride through the old town’s noisy tangle of alleys, inhaling the heady scents of incense as we pedal past stalls selling saris and street-food.  A tour of India isn’t restful. It’s intense – but it’s a feast. For body and soul."

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-12896385/Indias-gold-stars-24-carat-temple-mountain-retreat-hypnotic-views-prepare-dazzled.html

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 22,294 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• Thanks 1

From the London/UK Daily Mail this morning, they had this headline: Every country's must-try food revealed on fascinating world map with these highlights:Food is often one of the most exciting parts of going on holiday, especially when it's something you can't find back home.   But what are the must-try dishes, snacks and drinks travellers need to tick off?  Every country's must-try local delicacy was established by analysing TikTok videos containing hashtags for over 2,600 delicacies in 177 countries. The number of views associated with each hashtag was tallied to produce a ranking.

For the five upcoming nations we will be visiting next month, here are the most noted foods for each country from this "research" method: 

India: Biryani

Sri Lanks: Kottu

Thailand: Pad Thai

Malaysia: Nasi Lemak

Singapore: Laksa

As detailed by Wikipedia, "Biryani is a mixed rice dish that was thought to have originated from Iran before settling in modern India.  It is made with rice, some type of meat (chicken, beef, goat, lamb, prawn, or fish) and spices.  To cater to vegetarians, in some cases, it is prepared by substituting vegetables for the meat.  Biryani is one of the most popular dishes in South Asia.   Biryani is the single most-ordered dish on Indian online food ordering and delivery services, and has been labelled as the most popular dish overall in India."

Below is one of many options for how this dish might look and be served.  

image.thumb.png.47043af7a7894f8248db27d49a757fa8.png

Personally, I am big on the sauces and/or gravy that goes with and/or mixed in with the rice, meat, etc.  Will need to do more research and talking with Indian food experts.  

Any insights or tips for these various dishes, country food loves, your favorites, best suggestions, etc.?

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-12922347/Every-countrys-try-food-revealed-fascinating-world-map-fish-chips-UK-hot-dogs-U-S-pavlova-Australia.html

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 247,878 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

• 2 months later...

From the New York Times Travel Section coming this weekend, they have this headline: 36 Hours Mumbai with these highlights: “Mumbai appears as much a dream as a city. Sprinkled with the stardust of Bollywood, the Hindi-language film industry that bases itself here, and studded with billionaires, India’s hyperkinetic metropolis, known as Bombay until 1995, feels like a place where anything is possible. Amid tight pandemic lockdowns, Mumbai turned into one of the world’s great construction sites, trying to remake itself with new towers, subway lines and bridges. Take in the dizzying juxtapositions — while discovering experimental performances in former textile mills and serene, ancient caves a short drive from the urban chaos — in a city guaranteed to look different again the next time you visit.”

Many different options are mentioned for what to see, where to eat, hotels, shopping, etc.  One location that we visited was mentioned with these specifics: "Mani Bhavan, the former home of Mohandas K. Gandhi, is now a museum that preserves details of his spartan life, underscoring his emphasis on self-reliance.  Spinning wheels and floor seating in his preserved, spartan bedroom provide a window to his belief that the route to Indian independence could come only through discipline and self-reliance."  

Also cited where we stayed for three days was: "The Taj Mahal Palace, an ornate hotel open since 1903, looks over the Arabian Sea and the historic Gateway of India arch. A memorial in the lobby commemorates the terror attack at the hotel in 2008."

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/03/28/travel/things-to-do-mumbai.html

India to Singaore 2024: Live/Blog with many visuals, including “Golden Triangle”, Japan, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Malaysia:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2992045-live-terryohio-india-to-signapore-silver-moon-rising-pix’s/

Or, as an alternative use this five-term Google search

Live Terry/Ohio India Silver Moon

to find it with the full title of “Live, Terry/Ohio, India to Signapore, Silver Moon Rising, Pix’s!”