Panama Canal Cruise -- Which of These Best Beach Day Port (Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, Acapulco, Puerto Quetzal (Guat)

ajtraveler66

We hope to be on a 15-day Panama Cruise in January, and we definitely would like to have a good beach day or two.  And if the excursion can be through the ship, that'd be okay with us.

Suggestions for the ports in the title?  (Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, Acapulco, Puerto Quetzal in Guatemala).

Also any other input you might care to share about these places.  I do understand that Acapulco is a bit unsafe (but a beach day through the ship is mentioned...it's simply called "Acapulco Beach Day".  {We'll also be at the canal  (Pacific Terminal) ... and we are to go to Cartagena, Colombia, South America}

Last January in Acapulco we walked down the beach from the port about 1/2 mile. I think it was Playa Hornos. Nice family beach with plenty of locals. No pushy vendors, $5 for covered table and chairs. Plenty of cheap tasty taco and mango vendors. Just a chill day. Felt very safe.

• Like 1

I have nothing to say regarding Guatemala.  For Mexico, my recommendation most likely is Cabo as well.  The water in Cabo is a bit colder but the water is very clean.  Also, Cabo has less things to do in my opinion then your other destinations.

If I was going to the beach in PV, I might go to "playa tomates."  I like it for the restaurants as well as for hanging out on the beach for a while.  I really like to visit there when I am in the areas.

For Acapulco, I would suggest the newer areas south of the airport outside of the main bay.  I am not sure if the resorts there offer day passes but lots of people (the rich ones) from Mexico City hang out there on the weekends.

BTW - I had the opportunity to stay in Cartagena for a bit a while back and it's really a great place to visit.  They have some great beaches and water but there is so much to do there I would probably pick something else.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recently back from Cabo and PV. 

In Cabo we walked past most of the vendors on the pier and on into town where we found a group of guys selling boat tours and asked to be taken to The Sand Bar via boat. It was pricey, but they assured us they would return in the afternoon for the return trip. They did so. I had made my reservations online at The Sand Bar and they had a table and chairs on the beach under umbrellas set up for us. We ate and drank and drank and drank more and the beach was right there in front of us. The food and drinks were good. The service was slow was friendly. There was quite a few sellers that you had to shoo away.

In PV I hired a guide to take us to Quimixto Beach. I wouldn't hire one again now that I've done it. Take a taxi to the pier in mid town (15 min). All the directions to Quimixto online tell you to take a bus to a town half way and then water taxi on to Quimixto, but it adds 45 min to travel time. Just go to the pier and ask around for a water taxi ALL DAY to Quimixto ($200 for 8 of us). Make sure the tank of gas is full and away you go. 45 min and you're delivered right to the beach, tell them not to take you to the pier, just drop you off at Charly Bar.  Omar runs Charly Bar and will take excellent care of you, even taking beers to you out in the surf. The food was amazing (delivered right to your lounger) and our chairs and umbrellas were RIGHT ON the beach. Absolutely no sellers to bother you and we had the beach to ourselves all day. It's really a nice kept secret. Our water taxi waited on us right there off the beach until we were ready to go back. We waved him back in, boarded and away we went. The only warning would be, the pier in mid town PV. You need to be able to get on and off the pangas in rough water as the pier isn't anything more than a very very steep concrete slab. Lots of small boys hang around to help you, for the tips. Pretty sure it's why you're advised to take the bus half way, but really there is no need. And saves time to take a water taxi or panga straight there. If you go, this will be your very favorite beach day!!!

Have fun!

• Like 1