Thinking of trying MSC Yacht Club - need suggestions

tori0417

Hi All! 

I am seriously considering trying MSC - most likely the Seascape and would do the Yacht Club. We have 2 kids, ages 4 and 8 and we usually sail Royal but to be honest, Im just feeling "over it". Between the price increases and food going downhill plus the cost of the drink packages we are looking elsewhere. Anyone have any comparisons or have cruised with smaller kids? We love having a suite for the space and the amenities, but I also want to make sure the Yacht Club is appropriate for kids (not adults only pool, etc). Any help is appreciated!! We are so apprehensive about jumping to another line! 

3 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Kids are more than welcome in the Yacht Club. Mine were 7 and 5 on their first Yacht Club cruise.

Thanks! How did you like it with kids? Was there enough for them to do? 

We cruised in Yacht Club (Seaside) and  took our grandson when he was 8. He went in hot tub and pool when we were lounging in Yacht Club pool deck.However he also spent alot of time in the Jungle Pool themed area which was near the Sports court. They were very close to Yacht Club.  I think you should expect to take your kids to the activities and slides throughout ship and not expect to stay exclusively in YC 

Edited by lcpagejr
  • Like 2

We have been in the YC many times on different ships. We go for the experience.

HOWEVER, unless you are in a Royal or Owners suite, I think you will find the cabins a bit small.

Not that people do not use the regular YC cabins with kids & find them adequate,, I was just surprised that they were not a bit bigger.

1 hour ago, tori0417 said:

Thanks! How did you like it with kids? Was there enough for them to do? 

Of course. There is plenty to do both inside the enclave as well as the rest of the ship. They enjoy going to the Top Sail Lounge and getting their own snacks and drinks. The bartender will get to remember what the kids want.

The kids can enjoy the pool, the sundeck, the hot tubs, etc. There is no age restriction for any of the Yacht Club areas.

If the kids just want to sit in a corner and use a phone or tablet, they can.

If the kids want to do the water slides, bowling, arcade, kids Club, etc., they can.

The Sea**** ships have much to see and do.

13 hours ago, Shippy said:

We have been in the YC many times on different ships. We go for the experience.

HOWEVER, unless you are in a Royal or Owners suite, I think you will find the cabins a bit small.

Not that people do not use the regular YC cabins with kids & find them adequate,, I was just surprised that they were not a bit bigger.

Totally disagree. Cabins are larger than a regular balconey cabin on other lines and the bathroom is larger with a huge shower....  These aren't suites as you may think...they are large balconey cabins with more room than most

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lcpagejr said:

Totally disagree. Cabins are larger than a regular balconey cabin on other lines and the bathroom is larger with a huge shower....  These aren't suites as you may think...they are large balconey cabins with more room than most

I never thought of them as a 'regular' balcony cabin....which is small.

There are less than 1/2 dozen YC2/3,RS/OS on any of these ships.

SO....I would have thought the rest to be larger. I think the average is about 300 sq. ft

1 hour ago, Shippy said:

I never thought of them as a 'regular' balcony cabin....which is small.

There are less than 1/2 dozen YC2/3,RS/OS on any of these ships.

SO....I would have thought the rest to be larger. I think the average is about 300 sq. ft

The Grand YC Deluxe Suites are significantly larger than the regular YC Balcony. Deck 19 on Seascape has many YCP’s, some rated up to 5 guests.

We saw other families with young children in YC on the World Europa.  One nice thing about YC is that you can order food off-menu in the YC restaurant.  For example, they got a plate of broccoli or fries.  They are very accommodating, especially if you give them some time to prep anything special you need.  Obviously with YC, you don't have any restrictions on drinks in the YC itself, and on the World Europa, you pay just the difference (listed cost minus 14 euros) at non-YC venues.  Also, the shallow pools for kids were in the non-YC area.   And of course, there is the kids clubs you can take advantage of.

We did the Disney Fantasy with our four year old son.  He was just the right height for the kids slide and he must have done that 100 times on that cruise, but he was super afraid of the life size or larger versions of the Disney characters on board.  But the cost for Disney is so astronomical now.

Edited by Nikodemos
Added Disney comment.

We just cruised in the YC with our 12 and 7 year old on Virtuosa. 

They had a great time, lots of kids onboard and several in the YC on the sailing we were on. 

We had a great time and already planning the next one. 

33 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Are any bars considered signature venues?  I know there’s a place that sells a chocolate martini that isn’t included, but is that all?

That's Venchi and nothing is included there. Also many have reported issues with using their drinks package at Hola!  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Are any bars considered signature venues?  I know there’s a place that sells a chocolate martini that isn’t included, but is that all?

You have to check for the specific ship you are on as they are all a little different...

18 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

So what you are really looking for is an adult's booze cruise.

Give me a break....A cruise isn't 100% about the kids. I cruised with my children for 20 years as they grew up. Plenty of balanced activities for family and adults on non Disney lines. And yes we usually purchased drink package and gambled. Also..have you cruised on Disney?? You could cruise 2x on other lines for what you would pay for a1 cruise on Disney lines

Edited by lcpagejr
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, lcpagejr said:

Also..have you cruised on Disney?? You could cruise 2x on other lines for what you would pay for a1 cruise on Disney lines

Looked into it. It does not have a "ship within a ship" concept, like YC, Haven, Coastal Kitchen, or Retreat. Besides I haven't got over having been accosted by a 4 year old calling me 'Porky'. I do know what you mean about price, but at this time in my life I am not letting it hold me back from an experience of a life time.

Do not really understand the statement "A cruise is not 100% about kids". If we were fortunate enough to have kids, it would be 100% about our kids.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Do not really understand the statement "A cruise is not 100% about kids". If we were fortunate enough to have kids, it would be 100% about our kids.

Our kids are grown and don't sail with us anymore, so now, like you, it's all about "she who must be obeyed!" ~ Horace Rumpole, and others

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/16/2023 at 3:21 PM, tori0417 said:

Hi All! 

I am seriously considering trying MSC - most likely the Seascape and would do the Yacht Club. We have 2 kids, ages 4 and 8 and we usually sail Royal but to be honest, Im just feeling "over it". Between the price increases and food going downhill plus the cost of the drink packages we are looking elsewhere. Anyone have any comparisons or have cruised with smaller kids? We love having a suite for the space and the amenities, but I also want to make sure the Yacht Club is appropriate for kids (not adults only pool, etc). Any help is appreciated!! We are so apprehensive about jumping to another line! 

Use a TA!

Keep an eye on your booking just to make sure that they don't bump you out of YC into a regular cabin. Never call them!

We sailed with out Grand kids this past March ages 4 & 6.  They were bored with the 1 1/2 hour dinner each evening and did not like most of the topsail snacks.

As pointed out, the pool is deeper. They preferred the jungle pool and kids deck area as there are other kids to play with.