Family Cabins

Sunseeker20

Hello!

I have not sailed with Norwegian yet, but I'm looking for information on cabins that fit 5 people. Does Norwegian have these? I know sometimes people with a larger family will book connecting rooms but I feel like the cost can be more that way. We just sailed on Royal Caribbean in a balcony room and it worked great. Any information is helpful!

5 people in anything less than a 2 bedroom suite is squeezing it tight. anything else just has 1 bathroom, and trying to get 5 people ready imho is really pushing it. i believe either the owners suite or the deluxe owners suite might have an additional bathroom, androom enough for 5 bodies.

in a club balcony, there is a queen bed that can be split into 2, a pull out sofa that can maybe squeeze in 2 people, although probably not comfortably and the 5th is a toss up. i suggest you go onto ncl website, mock book a potential cruise and they will tell you not only the sq footage of the cabin, but how many bodies it was designed to sleep. if you're concerned about costs, you may be  out of luck. on the other hand, you may be much better off booking a balcony cabin, and op for an indoor cabin across the hall

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

Five will be tough without a connecting cabin.

What Royal balcony cabin worked "great" for 5 people? Curious minds want to know.

I ended up finding a obstructed view balcony room on deck 9. The obstructed view was a tiny ladder on one corner of the balcony so the view was completely fine. The room had a queen (or king?) Bed, a Pullman and a double pull out couch 

17 minutes ago, Sunseeker20 said:

I ended up finding a obstructed view balcony room on deck 9. The obstructed view was a tiny ladder on one corner of the balcony so the view was completely fine. The room had a queen (or king?) Bed, a Pullman and a double pull out couch 

Ouch. Seems a bit -- tight.  Glad it worked for you,

We’ll be in a family interior on the Sun in Aug (although I bid for balcony do maybe we get lucky lol). 3 kids, two of them teens, but we’re a (now retired) military family that’s spent months at a time living in hotel rooms on moves waiting for housing, so we know how to do tight quarters. Would rather spend that extra money on excursions, because excursions in Alaska for 5 is $$$$$.

Edited by Anashoo
  • Like 2

On 6/16/2023 at 9:10 PM, Sunseeker20 said:

Hello!

I have not sailed with Norwegian yet, but I'm looking for information on cabins that fit 5 people. Does Norwegian have these? I know sometimes people with a larger family will book connecting rooms but I feel like the cost can be more that way. We just sailed on Royal Caribbean in a balcony room and it worked great. Any information is helpful!

Ship?

I've done a family suite.  It would be tight with 5 people though I think it technically sleeps 5.

You have a queen, double murphy and a sleeper sofa.  We never had the sleeper out so I'm not sure what size it is.  

Very spacious for 3.  For 5 it would be a bit cramped because you only have 1 bathroom.  Though you have lots of seating.  No balcony so it is really nice for cold sailings.  The wall of windows is really a nice feature.

I think even with the 2 bed/2 bath 5 adults might be a bit cramped because of the seating in the living room and balcony size if you are the types to hang out in your room a lot.  If you are the type to be out and about all the time I think it would work.  Though, at that price, you can easily book 2 connecting cabins.

• Like 1

@Sunseeker20  - which NCL ship are you trying to find and book a family cabin that sleep 5 ??  (and, that is with just 1 bathroom ... which you are okay with, from what I can gather here.)

As noted, Norwegian Joy is the one and only ship in the fleet with Family Inside Suite - 2 bedrooms & 2 baths, plus a living room - it is spacious and will sleep up to 6 with the upper pullman in the smaller bedroom, the LR pullout double sofabed is really too small for 2 adults to sleep but okay for younger children.  It isn't exactly a bargain from my recent price check ... we did booked and sailed the Joy last year, with two of these family inside suites - mainly b/c we wanted the extra bathrooms.  

Curious to know which NCL ship has a balcony cabin (obstructed or otherwise) that sleep 5  ???  as that's news to me.  On the *Away/+ class ships, like the Breakaway, Getaway, Escape and also the Joy, there are a (smaller) number of larger, Family Oceanviews (usually mid-ship on Deck 5) that can sleep up to 6 - just 1 bathroom but not as "cozy" as the average oceanview or regular balcony cabins - they are bigger (longer) lengthwise - a large picture window and if I'm not mistaken, a curtain can be pulled to provide privacy & separation between the main bed and the sleeper/sofa & upper pullman.  

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Curious to know which NCL ship has a balcony cabin (obstructed or otherwise) that sleep 5  ???  as that's news to me.

The Sun seems to have them (8032/8232, 8034/8234, 8036/8236, 8038/8238, 8040/8240)......

Sun_Deck_08_3-18-21.png

deck_legend_holds5.pngHolds 5

"Norwegian Sun Family Balcony staterooms are perfect if you want to bring the whole family. With room for up to five guests, there are two lower beds that convert into a queen-size bed and additional bedding to accommodate up to three more."

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The Sun seems to have them (8032/8232, 8034/8234, 8036/8236, 8038/8238, 8040/8240)......

deck_legend_holds5.pngHolds 5

"Norwegian Sun Family Balcony staterooms are perfect if you want to bring the whole family. With room for up to five guests, there are two lower beds that convert into a queen-size bed and additional bedding to accommodate up to three more."

Thanks 👍   Now, I see them listed as "B5" on Deck 8, same square footage as the "BB" next door that sleep up to 4.  The convertible sofa is larger than the ones on the Dawn, Gem & Jewel - plus, an upper pullman that drop from the ceiling ... wow, that's wall-to-wall bedding, workable for some.  

Won't work if one of our SIL is tagging along & sharing the cabin with us, her morning routine is easily 45 minutes in the bathroom ... 

Good to know.  

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

@Sunseeker20  - which NCL ship are you trying to find and book a family cabin that sleep 5 ??  (and, that is with just 1 bathroom ... which you are okay with, from what I can gather here.)

As noted, Norwegian Joy is the one and only ship in the fleet with Family Inside Suite - 2 bedrooms & 2 baths, plus a living room - it is spacious and will sleep up to 6 with the upper pullman in the smaller bedroom, the LR pullout double sofabed is really too small for 2 adults to sleep but okay for younger children.  It isn't exactly a bargain from my recent price check ... we did booked and sailed the Joy last year, with two of these family inside suites - mainly b/c we wanted the extra bathrooms.  

Curious to know which NCL ship has a balcony cabin (obstructed or otherwise) that sleep 5  ???  as that's news to me.  On the *Away/+ class ships, like the Breakaway, Getaway, Escape and also the Joy, there are a (smaller) number of larger, Family Oceanviews (usually mid-ship on Deck 5) that can sleep up to 6 - just 1 bathroom but not as "cozy" as the average oceanview or regular balcony cabins - they are bigger (longer) lengthwise - a large picture window and if I'm not mistaken, a curtain can be pulled to provide privacy & separation between the main bed and the sleeper/sofa & upper pullman.  

Like I said in my original post, I haven't sailed Norwegian yet and don't know the ships,  and was inquiring whether any ship had Family staterooms for 5 people

On 6/16/2023 at 9:10 PM, Sunseeker20 said:

I know sometimes people with a larger family will book connecting rooms but I feel like the cost can be more that way. 

It is not at all uncommon in the cruise industry for the cost to book 5 people into two cabins to be about the same or often even less than booking everyone into one cabin that holds 5 people. You'll often see this when the demand is high for the very limited number of cabins that hold 5 and there are still loads of 2-3 person cabins available. 

I recently helped a friend book a cruise.  She didn't care about the room and was going to just book an inside for four because she assumed that would be her cheapest option.  When I priced it out, she was able to save several hundred dollars by booking two insides rooms for two people each rather than one inside room for four.  There were still loads of 2-3 person cabins available and very few 4 person rooms left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minabruuke said:

It is not at all uncommon in the cruise industry for the cost to book 5 people into two cabins to be about the same or often even less than booking everyone into one cabin that holds 5 people. You'll often see this when the demand is high for the very limited number of cabins that hold 5 and there are still loads of 2-3 person cabins available. 

I recently helped a friend book a cruise.  She didn't care about the room and was going to just book an inside for four because she assumed that would be her cheapest option.  When I priced it out, she was able to save several hundred dollars by booking two insides rooms for two people each rather than one inside room for four.  There were still loads of 2-3 person cabins available and very few 4 person rooms left.

Yes, this is very common.  IMO, it's also helpful to have the extra bathrooms!  However, I could also see if you had several young children, you may not want them to be in their own cabin (especially if they are escape artists!) - even if the rooms are connecting.  And some parents don't wish to split up to have one of each of them in each cabin.  I can definitely see pluses and minuses to both.

• Like 1

I specifically chose a cruise on the Joy just to get one of the inside family suites. We're traveling with 2 kids and my mom, so it is perfect for is. The price is a lot cheaper than 2 separate rooms.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 7:54 PM, mking8288 said:

...Curious to know which NCL ship has a balcony cabin (obstructed or otherwise) that sleep 5  ???  as that's news to me...

She was referring to a previous Royal Caribbean cruise.