Just how much of a problem ARE interlopers in the YC?

mafig

1 hour ago, Laurab23 said:

I don't think any cruise would allow this. Maybe but I was in Celebrity Retreat last year and I would have never even considered inviting someone in with me. We invited people to see our suite and balcony but that was it. 

Unfortunately, the Retreat allowed Retreat guests to invite outsiders in for breakfast, lunch or dinner. One dinner Grandpa and Grandma invited the other 8 family members to dinner that were not in the Retreat. The Maitre D' explained to us that it was a courtesy and he was charging the eight on GP and GM account $65 each and their reservation was the latest possible and that he told GP and GM that he expected them to tip the waiters for their over time to accommodate his party. (Understood lunch and breakfast was $35 each). Just another reason we switched to MSC Yacht Club.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

It is definitely not for people like you. Firstly, whenever we "snotty" enter a venue we are looking for an available spot. Not finding one because of sailing at full or near full capacity makes us even more 'irritable'. Your choice of words also indicates your wanting to pick a fight. I looked up the word "snotty" to make sure of this accusation. We would have preferred  even 'snooty' to your "snotty".

Synonyms of snotty
  • aristocratic.
  • arrogant.
  • snooty.
  • snobbish.
  • snobby.
  • elitist.
  • ritzy.
  • smug.......You chose a pejorative intentionally. The second thing we would do is scan the venue for unfamiliar faces, hoping the venue was over-run with interlopers that might be removed by management when approached by staff and asked how they can help. Third, we would turn around and think of something else to do or go because we chose the wrong cruise ship that caters to people like you.

no not really but sounds like you do.  Mean thinks snotty is a great word even more now.  elitist is not quite right as it involves money.  Not wanting to let some folks in to visit is elitist IMHO>

Again comparing Haven to YC I am finding that I am right above what I think of MSC based on lots of comments here.

OMG restricted. oooo becareful , warning warning, do not enter.  I mean really now.

perhaps MSC needs to overhaul the YC and perhaps they need to during port days let a few folks in to check it out.

On NCL folks bring other family members into the solo lounge in morning for coffee and the crew allows it.

On RCI folks bring in a guest to Diamond lounge and no one makes a fuss or asks who you are.

Again on MSC, it sound like and different vibe and a bit sn...... to me.  

then again so many cheap prices on MSC I guess some folks fell like they just must have YC.

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well if you paid for YC then you should use it.

again sounds like many folks on this thread are watching what everyone else does in YC.

That just hasn't been my experience.  I think what you are wondering is if people in YC are really just that  pretentious.  I can say that I have met some really nice people in all parts of the ship...many interesting foreign nationals who came across the pond for vacation and I've met some unpleasant people in all areas of the ship as well.  I think you'd find that the vast majority of us are just regular Joes and Janes trying to enjoy a vacation in peace...Some people find their peace in the YC and others find it elsewhere.  I think you're trying to classify patrons of YC as upper echelon snobs.  Such a generalization and conclusion really says more about you than it does about any YC passenger.  I guess the only way to know for sure is to book a YC category and find out.  The interior cabins are usually a pretty good deal (and my category of choice).  They give you access to all the YC perks but are extremely affordable.  Anyway, from one cruiser to another, I wish you happy sailing on whichever line you choose!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Unfortunately, the Retreat allowed Retreat guests to invite outsiders in for breakfast, lunch or dinner. One dinner Grandpa and Grandma invited the other 8 family members to dinner that were not in the Retreat. The Maitre D' explained to us that it was a courtesy and he was charging the eight on GP and GM account $65 each and their reservation was the latest possible and that he told GP and GM that he expected them to tip the waiters for their over time to accommodate his party. (Understood lunch and breakfast was $35 each). Just another reason we switched to MSC Yacht Club.

oh well 8 members is a bit much.  I would never invite someone to dinner just the pool area and only for a short while and then a general walk around so they could decide if they wanted for future.

But of course this sounds like it would bother too many folks on this thread.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

That just hasn't been my experience.  I think what you are wondering is if people in YC are really just that  pretentious.  I can say that I have met some really nice people in all parts of the ship...many interesting foreign nationals who came across the pond for vacation and I've met some unpleasant people in all areas of the ship as well.  I think you'd find that the vast majority of us are just regular Joes and Janes trying to enjoy a vacation in peace...Some people find their peace in the YC and others find it elsewhere.  I think you're trying to classify patrons of YC as upper echelon snobs.  Such a generalization and conclusion really says more about you than it does about any YC passenger.  I guess the only way to know for sure is to book a YC category and find out.  The interior cabins are usually a pretty good deal (and my category of choice).  They give you access to all the YC perks but are extremely affordable.  Anyway, from one cruiser to another, I wish you happy sailing on whichever line you choose!

so YC can be an interior room.

Just now, Oceansaway17 said:

so YC can be an interior room.

Yes!  DH and I have one booked for a cruise in August.  I just came off Seaside in an interior with my DM, and last November, DH and I had an interior on Meraviglia.  THey are not for everyone but I love them.  They are super dark at night and the room gets nice and cool!  Our first balcony cabin in the YC on Seashore last year was too warm so we switched over to interiors and haven't looked back!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

It is definitely not for people like you. Firstly, whenever we "snotty" enter a venue we are looking for an available spot. Not finding one because of sailing at full or near full capacity makes us even more 'irritable'. Your choice of words also indicates your wanting to pick a fight. I looked up the word "snotty" to make sure of this accusation. We would have preferred  even 'snooty' to your "snotty".

Synonyms of snotty
  • aristocratic.
  • arrogant.
  • snooty.
  • snobbish.
  • snobby.
  • elitist.
  • ritzy.
  • smug.......You chose a pejorative intentionally. The second thing we would do is scan the venue for unfamiliar faces, hoping the venue was over-run with interlopers that might be removed by management when approached by staff and asked how they can help. Third, we would turn around and think of something else to do or go because we chose the wrong cruise ship that caters to people like you.

The reason I started my first reply was because of the word interlopers.  It means unwanted or not allowed.  I thought that was a strong term.  I thought it sounded snotty.

In then end, have your YC and enjoy.  I won't ever go on an MSC ship because it does seem like only the YC get good food and nice rooms.  So many folks complain about MSC but they also would only go if in YC.   I guess that is why that area is very territorial compared to the haven on NCL.

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yes!  DH and I have one booked for a cruise in August.  I just came off Seaside in an interior with my DM, and last November, DH and I had an interior on Meraviglia.  THey are not for everyone but I love them.  They are super dark at night and the room gets nice and cool!  Our first balcony cabin in the YC on Seashore last year was too warm so we switched over to interiors and haven't looked back!

and dark rooms are perfect for Alaska.   

just curious, which MSC is your favorite and why?

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I have been a guest for a couple of hours on NCL Haven and no one acted like they seem to do on MSC.

They would be peeved if there were no other available lounges.  There are already too many chair hogs reserving empty lounges that are paying to be in the Haven.  Neither do we paying suite guests  appreciate our venues taken up by non suite paying Pinnacles, Zeniths, or Diamond members. That is why we switched over to MSC Yacht Club. 

• Like 2

Just now, Oceansaway17 said:

and dark rooms are perfect for Alaska.   

just curious, which MSC is your favorite and why?

We really enjoyed Meraviglia and I think that class of ship is probably my favorite.  I love the indoor promenade deck with the light show on the ceiling.  I also like they way they situated specialty dining on the upper floor overlooking the promenade.  It's a smaller class of ship from Seaside/Seashore but still had everything we enjoy.  I also liked the YC pool deck better than the Seaside class.

To your point about NCL, I have been in both the Haven and in a standard balcony cabin and I would not be as reluctant to sail in a regular cabin on NCL than I would on MSC.  We enjoyed the haven but there are certain things I have come to appreciate about the YC...like the included minifridge, included thermal suite, changing dinner menu, etc.  DM prefers Haven over YC so it really does come down to personal preference.  I would not sail MSC in a regular balcony category...ever.  These days if my budget only allows for a balcony stateroom, I'm going with Celebrity because I feel like they offer the best non-suite experience...of course, I'm putting my money where my mouth is next Sunday as we board Celebrity Equinox in a regular balcony cabin...no bells, no whistles...😊.

Just now, morpheusofthesea said:

They would be peeved if there were no other available lounges.  There are already too many chair hogs reserving empty lounges that are paying to be in the Haven.  Neither do we paying suite guests  appreciate our venues taken up by non suite paying Pinnacles, Zeniths, or Diamond members. That is why we switched over to MSC Yacht Club. 

do they not have enough chairs for the rooms that are YC.  perhaps the venue is too small.

I have been sailing since the 1970's and now it seems like so many issues with suites vs non suites, loyalty levels.  I think ships are becoming too class conscious and not for the good either.

It is why I sail on many lines and try not to get too loyal to any cruise line. 

So on RCI if a pinnacle decided to sail in an interior room, why can't they be in the suite lounge.

I think the cruise lines have created some drama with the various lounges.  

I am diamond plus and I find the Diamond lounge boring except for at 4pm when I can find my chocolate covered strawberries.  Perhaps all cruise lines need to get rid of all special lounges and everyone has the run of the ship.   

22 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I looked at the YC interiors and they looked small in videos I've watched. My friend and I would need the beds apart and that area looks really small, like one of us would have to get out of the bed by crawling down to the bottom of the bed.

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We really enjoyed Meraviglia and I think that class of ship is probably my favorite.  I love the indoor promenade deck with the light show on the ceiling.  I also like they way they situated specialty dining on the upper floor overlooking the promenade.  It's a smaller class of ship from Seaside/Seashore but still had everything we enjoy.  I also liked the YC pool deck better than the Seaside class.

To your point about NCL, I have been in both the Haven and in a standard balcony cabin and I would not be as reluctant to sail in a regular cabin on NCL than I would on MSC.  We enjoyed the haven but there are certain things I have come to appreciate about the YC...like the included minifridge, included thermal suite, changing dinner menu, etc.  DM prefers Haven over YC so it really does come down to personal preference.  I would not sail MSC in a regular balcony category...ever.  These days if my budget only allows for a balcony stateroom, I'm going with Celebrity because I feel like they offer the best non-suite experience...of course, I'm putting my money where my mouth is next Sunday as we board Celebrity Equinox in a regular balcony cabin...no bells, no whistles...😊.

aw and that is my concern about MSC.  So many folks only like YC and I am concerned how lacking it is for everyone else.  Heck maybe that is why they are sneaking in because they realize how sad non YC is.   oh well.

you sound like a nice person and I am too.  I just over feel that MSC has created too much of a class system.  I think if you want expensive, try Disney.  OMG wow the prices.    Overall RCI does a great job I think.  But I am attracted to the pretty decor of MSC ships and their private island.

Well perhaps one day.

• Like 1

Just now, Laurab23 said:

I looked at the YC interiors and they looked small in videos I've watched. My friend and I would need the beds apart and that area looks really small, like one of us would have to get out of the bed by crawling down to the bottom of the bed.

LOL...DM and I had our beds split.  It actually gives more room and a better walk way.  The room is small, no doubt but we managed.

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

LOL...DM and I had our beds split.  It actually gives more room and a better walk way.  The room is small, no doubt but we managed.

I like the beds split when I have oceanview room with a window.  I do not want to sit on my pillows to look out.   Stupid to put headboard against a window.

36 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Are you doing the Barcelona to Rome itinerary?  We have that booked on the Equinox next June. 

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Are you doing the Barcelona to Rome itinerary?  We have that booked on the Equinox next June. 

No, but I would love to do that one!  We are doing a Caribbean cruise and it's a "free" one due to a Blue Chip offer.  So I'm excited to cruise on the cheap...😁

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Would you happen to have a pic of the beds split? I have not found one on youtube with split beds. Thanks.

Laura

26 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

No, but I would love to do that one!  We are doing a Caribbean cruise and it's a "free" one due to a Blue Chip offer.  So I'm excited to cruise on the cheap...😁

Next June, the Equinox will be in Europe. I’d be happy to cruise cheap too, especially on Celebrity!

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

Would you happen to have a pic of the beds split? I have not found one on youtube with split beds. Thanks.

Laura

No, sorry. Kicking myself but I didn’t take any pics. I would say there was at least 3 feet between the beds when split. At the end of the beds there was ample room to get dressed and apply make up/hair for 2 people comfortably. Mainly because there is a full length mirror on one wall opposite of the vanity mirror on the other wall. The biggest obstacle was the closet which was dysfunctional because of the sliding doors which limited access. Both mom and I had a cubby drawer in the closet area as well as storage in the nightstand next to the beds(in the center).  We kept our suitcases under the beds and put used clothes and such in them as we went. Kinda like packing for home along the way. 

20 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Perhaps everyone in Yacht Club should organize, pick a day and time to interlope a public MSC venue en masse. That'll learn 'em.

Yacht Club guests already have access to all public areas.

"Access to all ship's facilities (bars and lounges, specialty restaurants, pools, etc.)"

Edited by Two Wheels Only

9 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

On NCL folks bring other family members into the solo lounge in morning for coffee and the crew allows it.

You mean the studiolounge, right? That is a completely different thing. The studios are a way to book a cheaper cabin when travelling alone so it's nothing like the Yacht Club or the Haven.

NCL normally don't allow guests in the Haven lounge or other Havenareas.

Havenguests shouldn't accept it more than Yacht Club guests.