Ship's laundry-proof clothing

Where can I find clothing that can stand up to a ship's laundry without shrinking, fading, or being damaged?  I have always used the passengers' laundromat for much of my clothing.  But I have an upcoming cruise on Holland America where there is no passenger laundromat.  Where/what can I buy for the cruise that will not be damaged in the ship's laundry? It's a 51 day cruise, so packing enough to last without laundering is not an option.  I prefer to wear knits and I realize that they are even more difficult to launder without damage. At home I wash them in cold water and hang to dry.  

I sent some knit pants out on HAL once with no issue.  But the rest of my clothing gets hand-washed.  I just do it automatically.  Before I get in the shower, I put my things in the bathroom sink with warm water and shampoo.  Swish them around for a while, leave them there and swish some more when I get out of the shower.  Wrap in a towel, hang up and they're dry quickly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2023 at 2:52 PM, islandwoman said:

I have an upcoming cruise on Holland America where there is no passenger laundromat.  ...I prefer to wear knits and I realize that they are even more difficult to launder without damage. At home I wash them in cold water and hang to dry.  

HAL ship's laundry will wash cold and air-dry. Just write in the conditions. Air-drying will probably mean an extra day before returning, so take enough outfits to have that extra day!

The easiest is to buy unlimited laundry; the more economical is the laundry by the bag. It is a strong canvas bag and bigger than some other cruiselines paper bag; you can get a lot in it. But again, you have to have enough outfits to (1) wear enough to fill the bag, while (2) have things to wear in the meantime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, crystalspin said:

HAL ship's laundry will wash cold and air-dry. Just write in the conditions. Air-drying will probably mean an extra day before returning, so take enough outfits to have that extra day!

How many days does it take for HAL laundry to be returned - without the extra day for air-dry?

Anything that I don't want ruined by high heat is sent out to be dry cleaned. And anything sent for laundering has been washed/dried at home many times so I know how it will react to heat and industrial machines, and how badly it will crease.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, islandwoman said:

How many days does it take for HAL laundry to be returned - without the extra day for air-dry?

While I agree with @57redbird, I will also also quote the laundry slip: "REGULAR SERVICE - Items received by 9am will be returned the next day." Usually during dinner, so a bit over 24 hours. EXPRESS SERVICE is in by 9am, returned the same day, 50% surcharge. And of course not air-dried.

With room make up being once a day for most cabins, you want to call on ship phone to have your bag picked up before 9.

Here is a sample laundry slip. Looking at the URL, it appears to have been scanned in 2015, so prices will have changed, but FWIW:

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/HAL-Laundry-Bag-Price.pdf

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Maybe I’ve been lucky but I’ve never had clothing damaged by the ship’s laundry on HAL.  I take clothes I normally wear. ( no special cruise clothes). At home I air dry my clothes but on the ship I don’t ask for air dry. 

• Like 1

We use the HAL laundry every cruise we take with them and have never had anything ruined.  The only thing I don't send out are my bras.  Those I hand wash.  We really miss HAL's laundry service when we sail on Princess.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

Maybe I’ve been lucky but I’ve never had clothing damaged by the ship’s laundry on HAL.  I take clothes I normally wear. ( no special cruise clothes). At home I air dry my clothes but on the ship I don’t ask for air dry. 

What special laundry services do you request, if not "air dry"?

I have had several pairs of pants faded and snagged in another line's ship's laundry. After that, I used the onboard passenger laundromat.  But HAL no longer has those 😟  Going on a 51 day HAL cruise, if that happened, what would I wear?

I cruise HAL - have never had anything damaged.  I've even sent some exercise stuff out hoping it might shrink in the high heat but that hasn't happened either.  Generally the only thing I tend to request is cold water wash, low heat dry.  That's how I do it at home so wasn't comfortable thinking my stuff might get damaged in hot water/high heat.  

Sue/WDW1972

On 7/23/2023 at 11:24 AM, islandwoman said:

What special laundry services do you request, if not "air dry"?

I have had several pairs of pants faded and snagged in another line's ship's laundry. After that, I used the onboard passenger laundromat.  But HAL no longer has those 😟  Going on a 51 day HAL cruise, if that happened, what would I wear?

I get everything washed including underwear and workout clothes and have never had anything shrink or get damaged on HAL.  You can always buy clothes on the road too - done that many times on cruises and on land trips - I also buy toiletries on the road.

Don't like wasting precious travel time shopping, plus I'm impossible to fit.  I've been travelling for 40 years.  I've never had any trouble rounding up clothing that I can wash and dry easily, without an iron needed.

• Like 1