Local bus from Skagen port to Grenen

I am trying to confirm and get information on a local bus that takes you from the Skagen (Denmark) port out to Grenen, where we would then get on the Sandormen to go to the point.  I have seen from many sources that there is a bus, but also seen that there is not a local bus anymore.  The previous post on this forum is very dated and with no current answers.  Can anyone provide any information on a local bus to Grenen?  Thank you.

you’re right. There used to be a public bus but the route is closed - I am not aware of public transport alternatives.
I don't know if renting a bike is an option. 

Edited by hallasm

This came from another Cruise Critic person who spoke to someone who was just in Skagen.

The walk from the boat to the entrance of the port (it is a little fishing place not a big one like Copenhagen) is 10 minutes. Turn right onto Vestre Standvej (the boats are on your right) and walk 5 minutes and there is a pick up and drop off spot for the Grenen bus opposite the Vinoble Wine Shop which has a bike rental next door. I think the cost was 50dkk per person return and that takes you to the Bunker Museum where you can pay to ride on the tractor bus out to where the seas meet. The buses are cash only and you pay the driver.”

Thank you JD.  This corresponds to what I found after I posted here.  The bus is operated by the "Port of Skagen," not the city.  They correspond with cruise ships in town, not on any fixed schedule. They run shuttles from the cruise ships to the drop off point, at the bike rental place.  You get on the bus to Grenen there.  The information I got from the Port was that there is a way to pay with credit card at the drop off point.  Also, I learned there is a ticket machine out at the parking lot that will accept credit card for the tractor bus.  Of course they take cash also, US, Euro, or local Krona.  Thanks again.

32 minutes ago, Calbill said:

You get on the bus to Grenen there.

I’m aware of the shuttle but from the cruise pier to Skagen center operated by the harbor, but who is operating the bus from Skagen to Grenen (if any). I haven’t found any information on that bus for 2023.

Important that visitors post here if visited Skagen after June 25, 2023.

Previously  there was a public bus service from Skagen to Grenen. According to the information I have, the city bus does not run after 25 June 2023. Hopefully there will be an alternative bus service to Grenen.

Edited by hallasm

hallasm:

The information I have is that both the shuttle and the Grenen bus are operated by the Port of Skagen.  My information is from the Cruise Manager, "Port of Skagen" and "Cruise Skagen Denmark."  She indicated the Grenen bus only operates during "cruise ship calls.," and if more than one cruise ship is in port, there is a shuttle for each ship. She told me that the cost of the Grenen bus is 5 US or Euro, in cash or credit card at the drop off point.  And that the Grenen bus runs every 40 minutes or so, and the exact schedule is not yet available.  Our ship will be in port on 26 July.

I had a devil of a time trying to confirm the details of the Grenen bus.  Finally, I emailed the contact name on the Sandormen web site, and he told me that the bus was operated out of the Port of Skagen.  I found the port website and sent them an email to the contact information, and got an instant reply from Ms Jensen, which I reported here above.

Edited by Calbill
install quote
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

I’m aware of the shuttle but from the cruise pier to Skagen center operated by the harbor, but who is operating the bus from Skagen to Grenen (if any). I haven’t found any information on that bus for 2023.

Important that visitors post here if visited Skagen after June 25, 2023.

Previously  there was a public bus service from Skagen to Grenen. According to the information I have, the city bus does not run after 25 June 2023. Hopefully there will be an alternative bus service to Grenen.

See above.

• 1 month later...

Riding the Sandworm now. Bought the Grenen bus ticket for 5USD or 5€ cash right off the ship. Then when you arrive there are credit card machines for the Sandworm ticket. 35DKK. Very hot on the bus and the Sandworm. Lots of people coughing. Still worth seeing. 

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the information about how to purchase a bus ticket to get to Grenen.  We will be in Skagen in July 2024 aboard Sky Princess.  Would you please update about how to purchase return tickets to the ship? Did the bus stop at other visitor sites?  Did a ticket allow you to ride all day or just one way to Grenen?  I read on another post that an all day pass could be purchased at the visitor's center but that may have been for the city's bus which is no longer in service. Any additional information about the port's bus, its route and if you have other segments that you can purchase would be appreciated.

28 minutes ago, hokieparent said:

Any additional information about the port's bus, its route and if you have other segments that you can purchase would be appreciated.

in 2023 there was a free shuttle bus from the pier to the center - it is exclusively transport from the ship to the city centre.

Previously, there was a bus service in the city, but from July 2023 there was only a bus from the center to Grenen - not to other attractions.

The Grenen Bus only runs from the city center to Grenen. Tickets could be bought at the information desk on the cruise pier or on the bus. There is no information yet about a possible bus service in 2024.

24 minutes ago, hallasm said:

in 2023 there was a free shuttle bus from the pier to the center - it is exclusively transport from the ship to the city centre.

Previously, there was a bus service in the city, but from July 2023 there was only a bus from the center to Grenen - not to other attractions.

The Grenen Bus only runs from the city center to Grenen. Tickets could be bought at the information desk on the cruise pier or on the bus. There is no information yet about a possible bus service in 2024.

Thank you.  Do you know of any recommendations to visit sites other than cruise excursions?  I read there are very few taxis available since the city is quite small.

10 hours ago, hokieparent said:

Do you know of any recommendations to visit sites other than cruise excursions?  I read there are very few taxis available since the city is quite small.

Skagen is very popular during summer - good fish restaurants and beaches. Many Danes and Germans are having their summer holiday at Skagen.
The town of Skagen has a history spanning at least 600 years. Fishing has always been an important industry, and the town continues to be Denmark’s largest fishing port. Skagen has 9,000 inhabitants.

The port is operating a free shuttle bus from The pier to city centre.

Skagen is quite small however the must see locations are 4 to 13 km from the centre - renting a bike will be a nice experience, but you can also possible rent a car.

At the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, Skagen was home to a group of artists known as the Skagen Painters. At Skagen the light is very special.
In the City Center you will find Skagens Art Museum, with 1,800 paintings, drawings, sculptures and handicrafts by the artists active in Skagen.
The museum is located in the former home of P.S. Krøyer, who was one of the most prominent members of the Skagen Painters. You can also visit painters Anna & Michael Anchers' charming house and Holger Drachmanns Home (author & painter).

Skagen is locatied on the peninsula only few kilometres wide where the two seas Kattegat  and the Skagerrak meet at Grenen (the branch / the Tip). The tip of Grenen grows by approximately 8 meters each year.
A visit to Grenen is a must. It is possible to walk or bike the 4 km from Skagen to Grenen.

There is also a 'Grenen bus' only operated during "cruise ship calls - the cost of the Grenen bus is 5 US$ or Euro, in cash or credit card at the drop off point -  the Grenen bus runs approximately every 40 minutes (2023)   - 2024 schedule is not yet available. 

From the visiter center there is a tractor bus (Sandormen - The Sand Worm) to the Tip.

On the way towards Grenen, it is 'Det Grå Fyr' - The Gray Lighthouse. There is also a cafe here.

The Buried Church 5km south of Skagen was once the largest church in the region. Only the tower now remains, after the sand drift that started in the 16th century literally covered the rest of the church. The church has not been in use since 1795.

13 km south of Skagen is Råbjerg Mile (Dune), the largest migrating sand dune in Northern Europe. It’s easy to imagine being in the middle of a desert.with a unique flora and fauna.

Link to more information

Here a post with information on bike rental

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

Skagen is very popular during summer - good fish restaurants and beaches. Many Danes and Germans are having their summer holiday at Skagen.
The town of Skagen has a history spanning at least 600 years. Fishing has always been an important industry, and the town continues to be Denmark’s largest fishing port. Skagen has 9,000 inhabitants.

Skagen is quite small however the must see locations are 4 to 13 km from the centre - renting a bike will be a nice experience, but you can also possible rent a car.

At the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, Skagen was home to a group of artists known as the Skagen Painters. At Skagen the light is very special.
In the City Center you will find Skagens Art Museum, with 1,800 paintings, drawings, sculptures and handicrafts by the artists active in Skagen.
The museum is located in the former home of P.S. Krøyer, who was one of the most prominent members of the Skagen Painters. You can also visit painters Anna & Michael Anchers' charming house and Holger Drachmanns Home (author & painter).

Skagen is locatied on the peninsula only few kilometres wide where the two seas Kattegat  and the Skagerrak meet at Grenen (the branch / the Tip). The tip of Grenen grows by approximately 8 meters each year.
A visit to Grenen is a must. It is possible to walk or bike the 4 km from Skagen to Grenen.

There is also a 'Grenen bus' only operated during "cruise ship calls - the cost of the Grenen bus is 5 US$ or Euro, in cash or credit card at the drop off point -  the Grenen bus runs approximately every 40 minutes (2023)   - 2024 schedule is not yet available. 

From the visiter center there is a tractor bus (Sandormen - The Sand Worm) to the Tip.

On the way towards Grenen, it is 'Det Grå Fyr' - The Gray Lighthouse. There is also a cafe here.

The Buried Church 5km south of Skagen was once the largest church in the region. Only the tower now remains, after the sand drift that started in the 16th century literally covered the rest of the church. The church has not been in use since 1795.

13 km south of Skagen is Råbjerg Mile (Dune), the largest migrating sand dune in Northern Europe. It’s easy to imagine being in the middle of a desert.with a unique flora and fauna.

Link to more information

Great information!  Thank you so much.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hallasm said:

Link to more information

Second the recommendation for Skagen Museum (Skagen Kunsthal). Very special art, taking advantage of the light.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1