Beach Day - 4 ships in port

Auntiejo

We will be in Antigua on the Enchanted Princess in January. Unfortunately we're one of 4 ships in port that day...also unfortunately our ship departs at 4 PM so we're having trouble finding a snorkel/boat excursion that will get us back to the ship on time. We don't like to do excursions thru the cruise line - too many people!

If we opt for a beach day at Valley Church or Darkwood Beach - is it safe to assume it will be a complete madhouse with so many ships in port that day? Or any other suggestions for beautiful beaches w/ amenities that aren't as popular (yeah right LOL)? If we get to the beach early I assume that will help, but as the morning goes on I fear it will be overrun with people. I've only ever done day trips on a boat in Antigua so I have no beach intel.

Thanks.

Edited by Auntiejo

13 hours ago, Auntiejo said:

We will be in Antigua on the Enchanted Princess in January. Unfortunately we're one of 4 ships in port that day...also unfortunately our ship departs at 4 PM so we're having trouble finding a snorkel/boat excursion that will get us back to the ship on time. We don't like to do excursions thru the cruise line - too many people!

If we opt for a beach day at Valley Church or Darkwood Beach - is it safe to assume it will be a complete madhouse with so many ships in port that day? Or any other suggestions for beautiful beaches w/ amenities that aren't as popular (yeah right LOL)? If we get to the beach early I assume that will help, but as the morning goes on I fear it will be overrun with people. I've only ever done day trips on a boat in Antigua so I have no beach intel.

Thanks.

Yes, all the “popular” beaches will be rammed…

But there is a place that has all the requirements for genteel and discerning Cruisers also Vacationers……Catherine’s Cafe….
https://catherines-cafe.com

Book one’s lunch/day in advance….. Space is limited.

The private taxi fare is $40 e/w keeps the herds away…..Worth the extra dollars.

Link to recent critique…..

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2921982-catherine’s-cafe/#comment-64965335

• Like 1

Sounds promising but the reviews since changing ownership are quite poor - Not sure I'd be willing to invest $80 in cab fare plus an expensive lunch for an experience that is likely to be sub par. 

3 minutes ago, Auntiejo said:

Sounds promising but the reviews since changing ownership are quite poor - Not sure I'd be willing to invest $80 in cab fare plus an expensive lunch for an experience that is likely to be sub par. 

Then take a look at Sheer Rocks, taking a Rock Pool with Cabana, or just a bed by the swimming pool.  There is no beach though.

https://sheer-rocks.com

7 minutes ago, Auntiejo said:

Nearly overlooked Cecelia’s 

https://highpointantigua.com

Close at the moment for a refit.  But send a message to let one know when opening
There is a beach with beds etc., for use by patrons only.  
Again only for discerning people.

Turner's Beach at the end of the bay. Last beach on the right. Great beach Great bar nice and peaceful. Highly recommend.  I can't wait to go back with Lawrence.  4 beaches past Darkwood. Take city bus #22. Your good.

• Like 1

If you book with Lawrence he'll take you across the island to Long Bay Beach and spend the morning. Pack the nice bus up drive through the rainforest to Turner's Beach and spend the rest of the day.  

This is the best tour on Antigua. 

If you are a drinker or with a group of drinkers as I was I recommend letting Lawrence know or bring your own bottle. 

Next time I'm doing both.

I never thought I would do an organized tour on Antigua because there's so many other ways to see the island. Lawrence is the only way to go. Great AC Tour bus plenty of room. Just light on drinks and Antigua is HOT. Lawrence is also such a nice man jeez I can't wait to see him again.  Hope that helps.

On 6/20/2023 at 6:37 PM, TTEllis said:

If you book with Lawrence he'll take you across the island to Long Bay Beach and spend the morning. Pack the nice bus up drive through the rainforest to Turner's Beach and spend the rest of the day.  

This is the best tour on Antigua. 

If you are a drinker or with a group of drinkers as I was I recommend letting Lawrence know or bring your own bottle. 

Next time I'm doing both.

I never thought I would do an organized tour on Antigua because there's so many other ways to see the island. Lawrence is the only way to go. Great AC Tour bus plenty of room. Just light on drinks and Antigua is HOT. Lawrence is also such a nice man jeez I can't wait to see him again.  Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info - do you have contact info or website for Lawrence?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/20/2023 at 2:34 PM, TTEllis said:

Turner's Beach at the end of the bay. Last beach on the right. Great beach Great bar nice and peaceful. Highly recommend.  I can't wait to go back with Lawrence.  4 beaches past Darkwood. Take city bus #22. Your good.

Any link to lawerence

• 2 months later...
On 6/20/2023 at 11:34 AM, TTEllis said:

About how long would we be on the bus for/how many stops before we get to Turners taking the bus? Could we walk from Darkwood? Thanks!

On 6/19/2023 at 10:25 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Yes, all the “popular” beaches will be rammed…

But there is a place that has all the requirements for genteel and discerning Cruisers also Vacationers……Catherine’s Cafe….
https://catherines-cafe.com

Book one’s lunch/day in advance….. Space is limited.

The private taxi fare is $40 e/w keeps the herds away…..Worth the extra dollars.

Link to recent critique…..

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2921982-catherine’s-cafe/#comment-64965335

so I booked a time of 10:30 on OpenTable but I don't want to eat them.  Does this reservation get us a chair/umbrella or just time in the restaurant?  I am a bit confused.  

30 minutes ago, deew0424 said:

so I booked a time of 10:30 on OpenTable but I don't want to eat them.  Does this reservation get us a chair/umbrella or just time in the restaurant?  I am a bit confused.  

No idea regarding booking an open table at Catherine’s.  Never heard of it. Must be something new.  Give Catherine’s a call or missive.

Normally, just book with Catherine’s one’s lunch/day, take loungers on arrival, chair service drinks and a beach lunch in situ, or remove to the restaurant.  Maybe open table is a generic term for their usual “as one wishes”.

Think one is confirming to have made the booking of an “open table” with Christine’s, but not wishing to take drinks/lunch, but only have use of their beds.  Always given to understand the beds and facilities are for the use of patrons who take lunch/drinks

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Think

On 10/11/2023 at 3:29 PM, Sandy Beaches said:

About how long would we be on the bus for/how many stops before we get to Turners taking the bus? Could we walk from Darkwood? Thanks!

Your going to be on the bus for about 15-20 minutes depending on traffic by the time you get to Turners.

Turners and Darkwood are on the same bay but it's much to far to walk. Darkwood is the first beach Turners is the last beach. Been to both personally I like Turners, new bar clean restrooms, less traffic and it's down at the end it's nice and quiet down there.

• Like 1