Upcoming Summit cruise - a couple of questions...

I'm going to be on the Summit to Bermuda in a few weeks and have a couple of questions...

1 - When there is a time change as there will be on this one, if your phone is connected to the ship internet, will it automatically change (like when there is a time change going on or off DST)? My watch is a FitBit which connects to my phone - I don't have a manual change watch any longer. Just trying to plan if I need to figure out if I can manually change my phone if it doesn't change automatically if connected.

2 - I've signed up for the World Wine Tour through the planner. Looking at the schedule in the app for my cruise (I know not 100% accurate until on board) as well as the cruise last week and the cruise this week, it is not listed anywhere - other things like Mixology, Food and Wine Pairing, etc. that are bookable in advance are visible on the schedule. If they don't do it for whatever reason, I'd get the money back as an OBC, right - and probably a letter in my cabin about it?

53 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I'm going to be on the Summit to Bermuda in a few weeks and have a couple of questions...

1 - When there is a time change as there will be on this one, if your phone is connected to the ship internet, will it automatically change (like when there is a time change going on or off DST)? My watch is a FitBit which connects to my phone - I don't have a manual change watch any longer. Just trying to plan if I need to figure out if I can manually change my phone if it doesn't change automatically if connected.

2 - I've signed up for the World Wine Tour through the planner. Looking at the schedule in the app for my cruise (I know not 100% accurate until on board) as well as the cruise last week and the cruise this week, it is not listed anywhere - other things like Mixology, Food and Wine Pairing, etc. that are bookable in advance are visible on the schedule. If they don't do it for whatever reason, I'd get the money back as an OBC, right - and probably a letter in my cabin about it?

Your phone connected to the ship wifi will not change the time. That is done with your carrier signal.

I believe the Celebrity app will show current ship time.  I leave my phone in airplane mode.  When in port you will want to be sure you know ships time and many like to bring a normal watch (not a smart watch) for this purpose.

2.  Regarding World Wine Tour, we book this all the time and it does not show up on the app frequently.  It is usually on a sea day and you can just go to Cellar Masters when you get onboard and ask them what day and time.  If for some reason it is cancelled you will get a refund.  You may have to talk to Guest Services though.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, luv2camp04 said:

I believe the Celebrity app will show current ship time.  I leave my phone in airplane mode.  When in port you will want to be sure you know ships time and many like to bring a normal watch (not a smart watch) for this purpose.

2.  Regarding World Wine Tour, we book this all the time and it does not show up on the app frequently.  It is usually on a sea day and you can just go to Cellar Masters when you get onboard and ask them what day and time.  If for some reason it is cancelled you will get a refund.  You may have to talk to Guest Services though.

Thank you. Fortunately the last day we're there I have a ship-based snorkel excursion, so I won't have to worry about back on board on time.

5 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Ugh. Looks like I'll have 2 sea days having to mentally remember the time is off.

Despite misinformation others have posted your phone will change time because it knows location from syncing with GPS.Has nothjing to do with the internet. I don't know how Fitbits work but if it syncs with the phone then the time will sync. I have an Apple Watch and it changes automatically. 

• Thanks 1

Just to add to my post about the time syncing automaticly  on phones some ships don't change time they keep ship time instead moving clocks ahead or back. In that situation on my phone I turn off automatically and set the time manually in settings. You can verify the time by looking at the time on your cabin phone. The cabin phone will have the time the ship is using. 

Edited by Charles4515

21 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Despite misinformation others have posted your phone will change time because it knows location from syncing with GPS.Has nothjing to do with the internet. I don't know how Fitbits work but if it syncs with the phone then the time will sync. I have an Apple Watch and it changes automatically. 

Gee, maybe I should admonish my phone for not keeping up to date (time) during my cruise last month.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

Gee, maybe I should admonish my phone for not keeping up to date (time) during my cruise last month.

Perhaps you don’t have location services turned on or you don’t have your phone set to automatically set time. Check your settings. Again smartphones set time automatically using GPS. That is the way they work. That GPS is always on even in airplane mode. If location services are on then the phone knows your location and automatically sets the time. 

Edited by Charles4515

My friend and I sailed to Bermuda a couple of weeks ago. The ship's time change occurred when we were at sea, and my friend's iPhone phone did not automatically update. I think it updated when we got to Bermuda.

I kept my iPhone on airplane mode and only connected to the ship's Internet to use the Celebrity app. I don't believe my phone updated the time, but the app showed the correct ship time. I mainly relied on my watches (not smart watches), which I manually changed on the appropriate days.

50 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

If your phone is not setting time automatically, not getting a GPS signal from the satellites then set the time manually. Not hard. 

• Like 1

The Summit departs on Sunday and on Monday night while you are sleeping  the ship advances the clocks forward one hour.  My iPhone did not automatically advance one hour on Monday night.  On Tuesday morning my phone still showed NY time (for lack of a better term) and did not advance one hour until we arrived in Bermuda.  My presumption is that as we were out to sea we had not yet actually physically moved into the new time zone.  So I would say if you want your phone and/or watch to match “ship time” on Tuesday while you are still out to sea you will have to make a manual change.

Edited by jcpc

16 minutes ago, jcpc said:

The Summit departs on Sunday and on Monday night while you are sleeping  the ship advances the clocks forward one hour.  My iPhone did not automatically advance one hour on Monday night.  On Tuesday morning my phone still showed NY time (for lack of a better term) and did not advance one hour until we arrived in Bermuda.  My presumption is that as we were out to sea we had not yet actually physically moved into the new time zone.  So I would say if you want your phone and/or watch to match “ship time” on Tuesday while you are still out to sea you will have to make a manual change.

I think that explains it. The ship is changing time ahead of arriving at the actual time zone. For passenger convenience. The actual time zone crossing could be 3:47 pm. That would cause confusion. So you need to change time manually which you can do in settings.  My Apple Watch syncs with my iPhone so it will show the time on my iPhone. A Fitbit may do the same

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

I kept my phone on airplane mode and manually went into settings to change the time zone to Bermuda on the night that it changed.  Once I did that, my Apple Watch automatically changed and once I did a sync of my FitBit, it also changed.  On the way back to NY, I manually changed it back.  

• Like 2