Cancellation Fees changed

LHT28

15 minutes ago, grifdoglover said:

@LHT28  If you are in one of the higher level suites you do not have the $250. fee but your 10% penalty starts at the 180 day mark.  The fees are also different for amount of cruise days and special cruises like around the world.  This info is in the cruise contract as well as on everyone’s reservation documents.

OK  yes TOP suites usually have the %  cancellation amount

PH & below  had the $250  admin fee

10 minutes ago, grifdoglover said:

Also if you want private travel insurance (not from the cruise line)  it gets more expensive and has less benefits the longer you wait.

True - also remember with private travel insurance (not from cruise line), you can only cover the cost of your deposit at the time of initial purchase and then increase the coverage as final payment is made and cancelation penalties kick in for your cruise.  This way you get the pre-existing condition waiver and other early purchase coverage.  Also, with private insurance you can cover your DIY air and other DIY aspects of your trip besides just the cruise.

2 minutes ago, basor said:

True - also remember with private travel insurance (not from cruise line), you can only cover the cost of your deposit at the time of initial purchase and then increase the coverage as final payment is made and cancelation penalties kick in for your cruise.  This way you get the pre-existing condition waiver and other early purchase coverage.  Also, with private insurance you can cover your DIY air and other DIY aspects of your trip besides just the cruise.

It may depend  where you live

We have to cover the full amount   at the time of deposit

2 minutes ago, grifdoglover said:

Buying the insurance is another messy job looking at companies, plans, prices…

More so now than ever before. Which is more likely to fail first, the cruise line or the insurer?

10 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

It may depend  where you live

We have to cover the full amount   at the time of deposit

Thanks for reminding me that different countries have different rules....in the US,  Travel Guard (the one we use and so have first hand knowledge), allows you to just cover the cost of the non-refundable amounts and increase as the non-refundable amounts increase.

9 minutes ago, basor said:

Thanks for reminding me that different countries have different rules....in the US,  Travel Guard (the one we use and so have first hand knowledge), allows you to just cover the cost of the non-refundable amounts and increase as the non-refundable amounts increase.

How does this work if it is all refundable at the time of deposit?  Do you just insure the deposit amount?  I assume you have to insure some amount so that the pre-existing condition waiver is in place. 

1 minute ago, cruiserchuck said:

How does this work if it is all refundable at the time of deposit?  Do you just insure the deposit amount?  I assume you have to insure some amount so that the pre-existing condition waiver is in place. 

Yes - we insure the deposit amount or $500.00 which ever is greater as soon as we make the deposit....we have used the same insurance company and policy for years so don't need to spend any time comparing companies and policies...that has worked well for us in payment of claims, etc. but others may need/want to compare for each trip.

5 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

Yes, that's what we've done: insure the initial deposit then up the insurance as more and non-refundable costs are added.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, basor said:

Yes - we insure the deposit amount or $500.00 which ever is greater as soon as we make the deposit....we have used the same insurance company and policy for years so don't need to spend any time comparing companies and policies...that has worked well for us in payment of claims, etc. but others may need/want to compare for each trip.

Curious on how your insurer handles airfare. If you purchase airfare where there is no cancellations fee and you get ecredits if you do cancel you are technically not out any money. Do they require you to include the airfare in the total trip cost?  Ours does which doesn’t seem right as when you use ecredits for airfare they say don’t include that amount as not insurable. 

1 minute ago, EJL2023 said:

Curious on how your insurer handles airfare. If you purchase airfare where there is no cancellations fee and you get ecredits if you do cancel you are technically not out any money. Do they require you to include the airfare in the total trip cost?  Ours does which doesn’t seem right as when you use ecredits for airfare they say don’t include that amount as not insurable. 

We have always included our air since there may be a time when we can't use the credits within the time frame required (ie - illness, etc.). 

On 6/20/2023 at 7:43 PM, LHT28 said:

I posted this in another thread  but it may need  it's own  thread

Just noticed  they have changed some of the cancellation penalties as of April  2023

note the  part I highlighted in red  for less that 15 day cruises

Also the time limit has changed

Time to re read the new fine print 😲

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005306234-What-is-your-cancellation-and-refund-policy-

The following cancellation charges will be assessed for all written cancellations received up to the scheduled time of departure.

Cruises of less than 15 days: 

DAYS PRIOR TO CRUISE SAIL DATE - CANCELLATION AMOUNT 

180-91 Days Prior - 10% of Fare - $250 Admin Fee pp
90-76 Days Prior - 25% of Fare 
75-61 Days Prior - 50% of Fare 
60-31 Days Prior - 75% of Fare 
30-0 Days Prior - 100% of Fare 

Cruises 15 days or more except 180-Day Voyages: 

DAYS PRIOR TO CRUISE SAIL DATE - CANCELLATION AMOUNT 
151-180 Days Prior - $250 per guest administrative fee+
121-150 Days Prior - 25% of Fare 
91-120 Days Prior - 50% of Fare 
61-90 Days Prior - 75% of Fare 
0-60 Days Prior - 100% of Fare

I though it would be worthwhile to put Oceania's new cancellation schedule in perspective, i.e., compare it to other similar lines. I'm quoting Lyn because her post has Oceania's new cancellation schedule for comparison. This way folks can decide for themselves if Oceania's new schedule is out of line. The sailings below are ones we have booked.

Seabourn Cruise beginning July 17, 2023
Cancellation period began on March 18, 2023: deposit of $2000 pp or $4000 total (4 months/120 days in advance)
Final payment due on April 17, 2023 (3 months/90 days in advance)

(We had to cancel this one)

Viking Cruise beginning July 13, 2025
Penalty period begins immediately upon booking April 10, 2023: deposit of $100 pp or $200 total
Cancellation schedule begins March 16, 2025 at 20% (4 months/120 days in advance)
Final payment due on June 12, 2024 (13 months in advance) 
Note: we have a second cruise booked with same instant cancellation period, but because of the other trip we have a 6-month- in-advance final payment due date

Regent Cruise beginning April 20, 2021
Penalty period began immediately upon booking March 6, 2019: $100 pp or $200 total (deposit was $4,262)
Cancellation schedule began on November 20, 2021 at 15% (5 months/150 days in advance) 
Final payment due on November 20, 2021 (5 months/150 days in advance)

Azamara Cruise beginning January 21, 2024
Penalty period began immediately upon booking April 22, 2021: $75 pp or $150 total (deposit was $2200).
Cancellation schedule began on September 23, 2023 at 25% (4 months/120 days in advance) 
Final payment due on September 23, 2023 (4 months/120 days in advance)

Edited by 1985rz1

4 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I though tit would be worthwhile to put Oceania's new cancellation schedule in perspective, i.e., compare it to other similar lines. I'm quoting Lyn because her post has Oceania's new cancellation schedule for comparison. This way folks can decide for themselves if Oceania's new schedule is out of line. The sailings below are ones we have booked.

Cancellation period began on March 18, 2023: deposit of $2000 pp or $4000 total (4 months/120 days in advance)

Penalty period begins immediately upon booking April 10, 2023: deposit of $100 pp or $200 total
Cancellation schedule begins March 16, 2025 at 20% (4 months/120 days in advance)
Note: we have a second cruise booked with same instant cancellation period, but because of the other trip we have a 6-month- in-advance final payment due date

Penalty period began immediately upon booking March 6, 2019: $100 pp or $200 total (deposit was $4,262)
Cancellation schedule began on November 20, 2021 at 15% (5 months/150 days in advance) 

Penalty period began immediately upon booking April 22, 2021: $75 pp or $150 total (deposit was $2200).
Cancellation schedule began on September 23, 2023 at 25% (4 months/120 days in advance) 

I would say from reviewing this that Oceania’s new policy is by far the most expensive, especially for a short cruise.

image.thumb.png.6632e1c7f794308f0757db796ea43bdc.png

It’s just tough to swallow unless you have insurance which makes the trip cost more.  Reading the policies fine print how much for a leg etc. reminds me of a Woody Allen movie don’t remember which one. He was forced to talk to an adjuster.

• Like 1

I think an issue that Oceania (and perhaps other lines) is trying to deal with is that many folks book cruises far in advance as place holders and wait until the last minute to cancel.  That make it harder to fill those last minute cancellations, unless there is a large waitlist.

I may be in the minority, but I don't think that Oceania's new schedule is unreasonable...if one is serious about the cruise.  In an emergency, insurance, including inexpensive annual insurance, would cover the early cost easily.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, See_More said:

I would say from reviewing this that Oceania’s new policy is by far the most expensive, especially for a short cruise.

image.thumb.png.6632e1c7f794308f0757db796ea43bdc.png

As I’ve noted before and may be in another discussion, you really need to look at what is actually stated on your Ticket Contract as it may be different from what is indicated above, especially on the shorter cruises. 

7 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Makes me believe that the bast way to go is just book last minute deals and discard any notion of brand loyalty.

I believe brand loyalty is a casualty of the resumption after the shutdowns. Lines are scrambling to fill ships while minimizing costs to deal with debt loads. Those that are able to meet or exceed customer expectations will likely maintain some brand loyalty. However, it seems some lines, Oceania among them, are willing to roll the dice with new marketing campaigns, even if it means losing long term, loyal customers. For those with great flexibility, there will likely be “arbitrage” bargains if willing to use various brands. I suspect there will be leapfrogging going on between lines. This will make cruise booking decisions more difficult for cost conscious consumers. Of course the flip side is brand loyalty will be more, err Simply More in O’s case, expensive for consumers,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I think an issue that Oceania (and perhaps other lines) is trying to deal with is that many folks book cruises far in advance as place holders and wit until the last minute to cancel.  That make it harder to fill those last minute cancellations, unless there is a large waitlist.

I may be in the minority, but I don't think that Oceania's new schedule is unreasonable...if one is serious about the cruise.

Agree, and this is probably even more of an issue that needs addressed post COVID with the hits the cruise lines took. 

3 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

As I’ve noted before and may be in another discussion, you really need to look at what is actually stated on your Ticket Contract as it may be different from what is indicated above, especially on the shorter cruises. 

I agree.  That's why I quoted from my ticket contracts.

• Like 1

Before all the knickers get in a twist, perhaps anyone who is concerned and possibly impacted needs to ask the question of their TA or Oceania.  The way it is spelled out, it looks like a $250 Administrative Fee - 10% of the Booking Value. The way an O person explained it to me, there is a non refundable $250 Admin fee and if the Booking value is above $25k, it increases to 10%. What did change is that penalty window widening to 180 days from 120 and that Fee used to be available to be credited back onto a future booking by the OP. JMHO but I could have been given incorrect information. I personally have not cancelled any bookings within this 180 day window so it has not impacted me.  
Mauibabes

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I though it would be worthwhile to put Oceania's new cancellation schedule in perspective, i.e., compare it to other similar lines. I'm quoting Lyn because her post has Oceania's new cancellation schedule for comparison. This way folks can decide for themselves if Oceania's new schedule is out of line. The sailings below are ones we have booked.

Thanks for typing this all in...very informative. By contrast, O's deposits are a deal, at least for short cruises and <=PH; book on board only $250 pp, and $500 otherwise. I appreciate not having to fork over more until a few months before sailing.

On 6/21/2023 at 1:07 AM, cruiserchuck said:

What does this actually mean?  Is it 10% of the fare, or just $250 pp, or possibly both?  It literally seems to say the penalty is 10% of the fare minus $250, which does not make much sense.  

According to the Oceania rep I spoke with, the cancel fee is $250 and not 10%. Perhaps an error on their website?