Cancellation Fees changed

LHT28

7 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Amex Platinum only covers (up to $10,000) if the entire trip was charged to the card. Lots of other restrictions.

CIBC the same. I always charge to the credit card anyway. Got reimbursed 3 times already.

18 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Amex Platinum only covers (up to $10,000) if the entire trip was charged to the card. Lots of other restrictions.

Our Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa covers what you charge on it up to $10K per person per trip, $20K total per trip, $40K maximum per year of amount charged.  One does not have to pay for the entire trip. No pre-existing condition waiver.  Annual fee $95.

6 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Our Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa covers what you charge on it up to $10K per person per trip, $20K total per trip, $40K maximum per year of amount charged.  One does not have to pay for the entire trip. No pre-existing condition waiver.  Annual fee $95.

So even a small annual fee CC can provide pretty good cancellation insurance. Which makes this whole discussion kind of meaningless. 

35 minutes ago, grifdoglover said:

I recommend everyone check with their credit cards, they used to provide this coverage not anymore. 

Just checked mine, and the insurance benefits I stated are still listed.  Do you have any link which would suggest otherwise?  Could be dependent on one's state of residence regulations.

I do know that my Hilton-branded AMEX card dropped cancellation/interruption insurance some years ago.

Edited by 1985rz1

This is a very dangerous conversation.  I know because It almost cost me a lot of money.  I have an American Express Platinum Card.  Yes, it has come coverages that can be leveraged.  Now I am 66 with Advantage Health Insurance.  That does not cover me outside the US.  

When it has to do with something as important as Health Insurance on a ship, please double check and read every bit of fine print.  I paid about $600.00 this insurance for a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise.  I need air transport I have it, I need hospitalization I got is, I need to cancel with some restrictions I have it, lost luggage and the list goes on.  Have I used my AMX for some past cost that the Insurance did not cover, yes.  

Please on this one, be as completely educated as you can be and depend only on your own due diligence.  Nothing bad is going to happen to any of use however somebody one day is going to really need all the coverage.  Sorry, I ranted but so very important for everyone to make their own decisions on the fact.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

This is a very dangerous conversation.  I know because It almost cost me a lot of money.  I have an American Express Platinum Card.  Yes, it has come coverages that can be leveraged.  Now I am 66 with Advantage Health Insurance.  That does not cover me outside the US.  

When it has to do with something as important as Health Insurance on a ship, please double check and read every bit of fine print.  I paid about $600.00 this insurance for a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise.  I need air transport I have it, I need hospitalization I got is, I need to cancel with some restrictions I have it, lost luggage and the list goes on.  Have I used my AMX for some past cost that the Insurance did not cover, yes.  

Please on this one, be as completely educated as you can be and depend only on your own due diligence.  Nothing bad is going to happen to any of use however somebody one day is going to really need all the coverage.  Sorry, I ranted but so very important for everyone to make their own decisions on the fact.

I don't think "dangerous" is an appropriate description.  What is appropriate is for everyone to make sure they know what their coverage is.  We've claimed on both Chase and Allianz annual and have have good experiences.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, julia said:

What the heck?  This thread was about the changes to cancellation terms!

The option to get a CC with cancellation insurance makes those changes (and the whole thread) kind of meaningless and irrelevant I would say? 

15 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

The option to get a CC with cancellation insurance makes those changes (and the whole thread) kind of meaningless and irrelevant I would say? 

@ak1004 I would tend to agree with you.  Especially if you already have and been using that credit card for years.  Used the Credit Card for your entire cruise. Add to this, purchasing Cruise Insurance even though you have that great Credit Card Benefit.  Mute point. 

On another note, I am NOT trying to HiJack this Thread.  I read your recent review on the Riviera.  Thank you, very balanced and fair.  I wish more folks would take the time as you did and do balanced reviews instead of only when they are upset. 

Back on Topic.  From a business stand point.  When you have a nice cruise brand, that accepts deposits that are 100% refundable for a time, the only client commitment is that money held by the cruise brand.  When the client has to make a minor and true financial commitment because the deposit starts to have a penalty, this for the brand to take the guests on the fence on/off  that sailing and makes them have skin in the game.  I did not know that "O" did this but when I was informed, I could cancel and get back 100% of my deposit or as I said have skin in the game. 

The issue is a change in policy that benefits the cruise brand and not the client.  I get that. This seems to be a serious issue for other as is the "Lack of Taste of Oceania Cookies".  After Covid and not sailing for quite some times, we ALL knew something had to give.  I HATE change also but we all have a choice. I am on "O" for the first time because I was disappointed in my last selections of brand.  My wife likes average wine.  She drinks wine in a box (really in a bag in a box) at home.  Yet even with an upgraded expensive drink program it was hit or miss with more misses than hits. I like a decent steak cook to Medium Rare Plus, and got Medium Well more than once. Just some examples. It was time for a change.  My money, my choice. An earlier $250/10% fee on my deposit to gain some level of guest commitment is not a big deal to me.  Just me, not saying it should not be a huge issue for others. Just saying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@ak1004 I would tend to agree with you.  Especially if you already have and been using that credit card for years.  Used the Credit Card for your entire cruise. Add to this, purchasing Cruise Insurance even though you have that great Credit Card Benefit.  Mute point. 

On another note, I am NOT trying to HiJack this Thread.  I read your recent review on the Riviera.  Thank you, very balanced and fair.  I wish more folks would take the time as you did and do balanced reviews instead of only when they are upset. 

Back on Topic.  From a business stand point.  When you have a nice cruise brand, that accepts deposits that are 100% refundable for a time, the only client commitment is that money held by the cruise brand.  When the client has to make a minor and true financial commitment because the deposit starts to have a penalty, this for the brand to take the guests on the fence on/off  that sailing and makes them have skin in the game.  I did not know that "O" did this but when I was informed, I could cancel and get back 100% of my deposit or as I said have skin in the game. 

The issue is a change in policy that benefits the cruise brand and not the client.  I get that. This seems to be a serious issue for other as is the "Lack of Taste of Oceania Cookies".  After Covid and not sailing for quite some times, we ALL knew something had to give.  I HATE change also but we all have a choice. I am on "O" for the first time because I was disappointed in my last selections of brand.  My wife likes average wine.  She drinks wine in a box (really in a bag in a box) at home.  Yet even with an upgraded expensive drink program it was hit or miss with more misses than hits. I like a decent steak cook to Medium Rare Plus, and got Medium Well more than once. Just some examples. It was time for a change.  My money, my choice. An earlier $250/10% fee on my deposit to gain some level of guest commitment is not a big deal to me.  Just me, not saying it should not be a huge issue for others. Just saying.

Well said.

While we definitely have to be aware of any changes in cancellation policy (and other policies, and thanks to @LHT28 for posting this), to me, it's not a material change. Most people do cancellation insurance anyway, does it really matter if you do it 6 months prior to sailing or 3 months? And I still believe that everyone who does decent amount of travel has to have a decent credit card with cancellation insurance, even if it has an annual fee. It will be well worth it.

In any case, to me this is not what impacts my decision to book a specific line. Every line has its pros and cons, including cancellation policies. While O is currently our favorite line, we have zero brand loyalty and book based on itinerary and pricing. We booked SS p2p with 15% non refundable deposit because we have the cancellation insurance. Booked SB when they had a 15% discount on itinerary we liked. 

• Thanks 1

So regarding cancellation penalties, to be clear, Oceania will now charge $250 per person, from the time you book the trip up to the penalty phase, if you cancel? And this fee cannot be waived if you book another cruise with them at the same time?

We had to pay Azamara $300 when we needed to change a B2B, and they would not let us transfer to another sail date. 

Our cruises with Viking carried a $100 per person penalty but they (in the past) allowed it to be transferred. 

Our currently booked Seabourn cruise has zero charges if we cancel prior to penalty phase. 

4 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

So regarding cancellation penalties, to be clear, Oceania will now charge $250 per person, from the time you book the trip up to the penalty phase, if you cancel? And this fee cannot be waived if you book another cruise with them at the same time?

We had to pay Azamara $300 when we needed to change a B2B, and they would not let us transfer to another sail date. 

Our cruises with Viking carried a $100 per person penalty but they (in the past) allowed it to be transferred. 

Our currently booked Seabourn cruise has zero charges if we cancel prior to penalty phase. 

No. There is zero cancellation fee if you cancel before the penalty period kicks in.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

So regarding cancellation penalties, to be clear, Oceania will now charge $250 per person, from the time you book the trip up to the penalty phase, if you cancel? 

Not exactly.  The $250 penalty period kicks in at 180 days/6  months out.

It is a deterrent to place-holding until the cancelation policy begins...which is sort of like putting your pool towel on the pool lounger while you go to the spa 🤔

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

I may be in the minority (again 🙄) , but I rather like the new policy.  The current common advice for popular cruises that are totally wait listed is to wait until the final payment is due, when there will be lots of cancellations...many by folks who reserved staterooms as placeholders or were just toying with the possibility.  The penalty for using this approach may level the playing field for those who are serious about the cruise, while for those with a legitimate medical (or any other covered) reason the penalty can be covered if they have even a modest amount of trip insurance.  Of course, this is JMO.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Well said.

While we definitely have to be aware of any changes in cancellation policy (and other policies, and thanks to @LHT28 for posting this), to me, it's not a material change. Most people do cancellation insurance anyway, does it really matter if you do it 6 months prior to sailing or 3 months? And I still believe that everyone who does decent amount of travel has to have a decent credit card with cancellation insurance, even if it has an annual fee. It will be well worth it.

In any case, to me this is not what impacts my decision to book a specific line. Every line has its pros and cons, including cancellation policies. While O is currently our favorite line, we have zero brand loyalty and book based on itinerary and pricing. We booked SS p2p with 15% non refundable deposit because we have the cancellation insurance. Booked SB when they had a 15% discount on itinerary we liked. 

The following comment is more for people unfamiliar with credit card travel insurance than for you: the credit card insurance that I have researched are not cancel-for-any-reason insurance. For example, if I have a trip booked with non-refundable costs and my niece decides to get married during my trip so I cancel, my credit card trip insurance will not cover this instance.

The message to people looking at credit card insurance (or any insurance for that matter) is to carefully read what is and is not covered. I got this particular credit card when my other cards all dropped rental car insurance. As I mentioned before, I use the credit card for simple trips (<$5k per ticketed person, or $10k), but if I want medical transportation back to the US from Timbuktu (or other higher level insurance), I need to buy it (note that I already have international medical insurance through my everyday medical insurance so no need to duplicate).

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

The following comment is more for people unfamiliar with credit card travel insurance than for you: the credit card insurance that I have researched are not cancel-for-any-reason insurance. For example, if I have a trip booked with non-refundable costs and my niece decides to get married during my trip so I cancel, my credit card trip insurance will not cover this instance.

The message to people looking at credit card insurance (or any insurance for that matter) is to carefully read what is and is not covered. I got this particular credit card when my other cards all dropped rental car insurance. As I mentioned before, I use the credit card for simple trips (<$5k per ticketed person, or $10k), but if I want medical transportation back to the US from Timbuktu (or other higher level insurance), I need to buy it (note that I already have international medical insurance through my everyday medical insurance so no need to duplicate).

Good point.

We usually don't just cancel a cruise - it was always a good reason, medical or other. When we book, we usually intend to go. And doing an insurance for "any reason" is much more expensive anyway.

That said, reasons like niece getting married usually don't happen only 6 months in advance anyway. 

As for medical insurance - good credit cars also have good medical insurance. Mine for example has coverage up to $5M for trips up to 31 days, but if you are over 65, it goes down to 10 days (still $5M).

So yes, people should definitely check the fine print, but it might be worth to get a premium card with higher AF (mine is $599 CAD) but get a lot more benefits.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

That said, reasons like niece getting married usually don't happen only 6 months in advance anyway. 

As for medical insurance - good credit cars also have good medical insurance. Mine for example has coverage up to $5M for trips up to 31 days, but if you are over 65, it goes down to 10 days (still $5M).

Haha, your family probably plans farther out than our families. We got less than 2 weeks warning for one wedding. Other things that make me hesitant to plan fun trips more than 3 months in advance: international meetings (professional and volunteer) that don't get scheduled until at most 6 months (or less) out. We had to move one cruise this year because of that.

I've checked out all of the major credit cards in the US; Canada seems to have cards with quite a bit more coverage. I believe the gold-standard (i.e., best trip insurance) is the Chase Sapphire Reserve and it doesn't have anything too exciting regarding medical. Here are its medical coverage parts:

Emergency Medical and Dental Benefit

If you're 100 miles or more from home on a trip, you can be reimbursed up to $2,500 for medical expenses if you or your immediate family member become sick or injured.

Emergency Evacuation and Transportation

If you or a member of your immediate family are injured or become sick during a trip far from home that results in an emergency evacuation, you can be covered for medical services and transportation up to $100,000.

There is also AD&D to $1M.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1

By the time I take my first “O” cruise, I can only imagine what the new information, in the small print, will be saying.  At least I do have my cruise contract, so know what my fee will be...change is truly the only constant, but knowledge is power!  Many thanks for all the comments, along with the high-jackers too!🤑

• Haha 1