Black & white night?

SarahHben

Morning, 

Does anyone know if they still have black and white themed formal nights? I’m currently planning my outfits. 
Also do most of you (possibly more geared to the ladies?) take a different outfit for each night on a 2 week cruise or double up? 
Thanks

On a two week cruise I would take probably 7 different tops or dresses, and wear them in rotation.  On the principle that I would not remember what anyone had worn 7 days before!  Unless something really  outstanding, which in my case it would not be.

• Thanks 1

I don’t know about black & white nights these days, 

But regarding doubling up, when I first started going on cruises, I had a different outfit for every night, and I’d accessorise it with matching necklaces / bracelets.

But then we started going on longer cruises, and it wasn’t practical or possible to have so many outfits, so I started doubling (or tripling) up. We did two legs of a world cruise, flying both ways, and that time it really was a capsule wardrobe - and I found it a good experience.  

I’ll be going on a 10 night cruise in August, and there will be doubling up. I’ve sold most of my old cruise clothes, and now just have a few pieces for evening wear. I doubt I’ll ever cruise as much as I did prior to 2020, so don’t need much. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

do most of you (possibly more geared to the ladies?) take a different outfit for each night on a 2 week cruise or double up? 

SWMBO insists that a different dress is worn every night, no matter what the length of the cruise - but have never done a worldie so that may be different. Oh and I wear a different shirt every night!

• Thanks 1

I have always had a different outfit for each night. Never done more than 2 weeks though. Doing 16 nights on Arvia next year so will have to think about that  (maybe Ian can take less clothes).

• Thanks 1

I usually have enough for every night, but I don't think it is necessary. If it says black and white and I have already worn my black dress. I. wear any colour. Small tip, start with your more fitted outfits and keep the loose ones for later!😊

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Thank you all for your replies. 

I'm taking 4 formal night dresses but was wondering if a different outfit for each smart/casual night was over the top but it sounds like there's a mix, so if I have room in our cases I will 😊 

I have discovered Vinted fairly recently and have found some real bargains, most with labels still attached, but I've possibly over bought, now I can't decide which ones to take!

@happy v My clothes list that I've started is is size order 😂 On my cruise last year I thanked my various pieces of control underwear each night and that was only a 7 day cruise 😏

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Black and white night does not happen now. However on the ships where it did, the final formal night  still feels like B&W night as all the ladies still wear B&W well certainly on Aorora and Ventura last year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, daiB said:

Black and white night does not happen now. However on the ships where it did, the final formal night  still feels like B&W night as all the ladies still wear B&W well certainly on Aorora and Ventura last year.

Thank you. If the last formal night is the kind of unofficial b&w night on Ventura on my cruise, I'm not sure I'll fit in my b&w dress by then. My wine red dress is the loosest I have, I wont stand out like a sore thumb at all 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

I have discovered Vinted fairly recently and have found some real bargains, most with labels still attached, but I've possibly over bought, now I can't decide which ones to take!

Take the looser ones!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Vinted is amazing for cruise dresses - I recently got a £85 M&S evening style dress for a fiver - still had the labels on 😀  My top tips though would be only buy a brand that you know fits you well or ask the seller to measure for you.

I made mistakes in the beginning but you can always resell - sometimes for a profit!

• Like 1

I used to take a different outfit for every evening and day but I now double up.

As lincslady mentioned I don't remember what others have worn unless it's a standout piece (not always good) and we don't use fixed dinning now so even if we share it's with different people.I have also cut back on the amount of shoes etc I would take 😂😂 makes things easier

• Thanks 1

I also used to take a different outfit plus matching accessories but those days are long gone. I bought 2 pairs of black pallatzo (sp?) pants. One pair in silk and one in velvet. I take several dressy tops, think sequins and lace and that takes me through most nights. I also take a couple of dresses which can be dressed up or down to suit the occasion. Confession though, I still find myself packing more shoes than I need. I think it’s a condition called cruisers foot!

• Like 3

I take a different dress for every evening however long the cruise is, to be honest 16 nights is the longest I have done and I take a  couple of spares as I like choices. I only live locally so extra luggage is not an issue. Going to check out Vinted. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Waju said:

Vinted is amazing for cruise dresses - I recently got a £85 M&S evening style dress for a fiver - still had the labels on 😀  My top tips though would be only buy a brand that you know fits you well or ask the seller to measure for you.

I made mistakes in the beginning but you can always resell - sometimes for a profit!

Yes I've made a few mistake buys and sold them on. Sizing can be so hit and miss between brands or even styles from the same brand.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sandancer said:

I also used to take a different outfit plus matching accessories but those days are long gone. I bought 2 pairs of black pallatzo (sp?) pants. One pair in silk and one in velvet. I take several dressy tops, think sequins and lace and that takes me through most nights. I also take a couple of dresses which can be dressed up or down to suit the occasion. Confession though, I still find myself packing more shoes than I need. I think it’s a condition called cruisers foot!

When we went to Norway last year, I took a cabin size case full of shoes for the 2 of us 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Different outfit every night, and all the glitzy  accessories,I  don’t want to wear on a cruise what I wear everyday at home, I’ll be the one with all the bling on. Since Covid, I said I was going to make the most of my cruises and just go for it. Who knows what’s around the corner. 

Enjoy the cruise your way, dress to impress, even if it’s only your partner.

🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sounds just like me Stefken. Roll on our next cruise in 3 weeks, a different outfit every night with bling to match - all in the best possible taste of course.

4 hours ago, Stefken said:

Different outfit every night, and all the glitzy  accessories,I  don’t want to wear on a cruise what I wear everyday at home, I’ll be the one with all the bling on. Since Covid, I said I was going to make the most of my cruises and just go for it. Who knows what’s around the corner. 

🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stefken said:

🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳

Or even just for yourself!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stefken said:

🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳

To be honest, I don't wander around the ship and think ,wow, aren't they dressed impressively.

• Like 4

Times are changing, whether for better or worse, you decide. Mrs YP will take an outfit for each night on a 2-3 week cruise but anything over 3 weeks or a fly cruise she will double up with the intention of getting things cleaned or a trip to the laundry. Similar pattern for me. Since retirement we have learned to get a bit smarter with packing and clothes purchased. Our recent 37 night flycruise with Cunard we had a total of 32kg allowance all in and we had no problem. I only took one dinner jacket as opposed to three when cruising from Southampton.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.

I'd like to think that I dress to make myself happy, no one else, my husband probably wouldn't notice if I wore the same thing every night 😂

I used to hate clothes shopping, but then I lost a fair bit of weight 8 years ago and I started enjoying shopping and dressing up. Although some weight has crept back on recently I like that I still find joy putting an outfit together & feeling nice in it. That may sound daft or shallow but hey, 10 years ago I hated how I looked in anything, now I don't 😊

• Like 11

Having seen photos of you, Sarah, you do look good in your clothes!  By the way, when I talked about only taking a certain number of outfits, I suppose I was thinking more of having to fly to a cruise - when we did not need to fly I was more likely to take a few more - especially as I look as good as possible in trousers and a top or jacket; black velvet or silky trousers are fine with several usually lightweight tops with a big of 'bling', or a nice piece of jewellery, and are easier to pack than dresses.  I do think though, that unless you sit near the same people every evening for dinner repeating things is barely noticed.

• Thanks 1