"Upgrade" email from Carnival

OceanZena

35 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Not like that...for example, a family needs rooms close by for minor children, if a travel group is buying a block of rooms, if you are in a connecting cabin but not linked to the second cabin.  There is no need to offer an aft balcony for an upsell.  They can sell coves twice over so maybe obstructed balconies on a higher deck aren't selling  so send out offers to all coves and maybe someone will bite.  

Ok those scenarios make a lot more sense than just someone calling Carnival and saying "I want that cabin someone has booked. Get it for me!" 😄

I always thought upsell/upgrade meant to a "better" cabin, which is why I naively thought there would be an offer for a suite or something before I opened the e mail and I got all excited. Now I know that's far from the reality and even moving one measly deck up is considered an upgrade to them. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OceanZena said:

Carnival sent me an upgrade e mail today for my December Liberty cruise, but I don't see how they view it as an upgrade. 

I currently have cabin 7439 booked which has a nice long balcony and they're offering to "upgrade" me to cabin 8301 which is a midship regular balcony for $42!! I had to laugh when I saw the deck plan and location because the cabin is pretty much exactly where I hate because it has so much foot traffic in the hallways. And no long balcony either. 

Does anyone actually view this as an upgrade? Needless to say, I didn't accept it! I'm keeping my long balcony! 🙂 

I have the same room on the Glory in October.  I booked this room as soon as the cruise was announced.  So far I've had 3 "upgrade offers" for the same thing, a higher floor with a normal balcony...NOPE!

• Like 2

We have also had supposedly "upsell/upgrade" offers- non too good.  We just got one for our January cruise, which surprised me because there are no balconies left.  Wanted us to go from our deck 8 midship "quiet" balcony cabin to one on deck 11 right next to atrium. (noisy)  Nope!  Before accepting anything people have to research what they are offering, where cabin is, type of cabin, etc.  Be an educated consumer!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, OceanZena said:

Ok those scenarios make a lot more sense than just someone calling Carnival and saying "I want that cabin someone has booked. Get it for me!" 😄

I always thought upsell/upgrade meant to a "better" cabin, which is why I naively thought there would be an offer for a suite or something before I opened the e mail and I got all excited. Now I know that's far from the reality and even moving one measly deck up is considered an upgrade to them. 

That is a common misperception.  Like when you see any offer with, "Free Upgrades" and you think, it I reserve an interior, I will get a ocean view room.  Instead you paid the cost of a A1 interior but get PT (porthole) instead.  

• Like 1

Any time one has a 'unique' cabin the 'Upsell' offers will roll in. We were extremely fortunate to have a bowling alley on Pride last year in Europe.  We must have had 2-3 offers to give it up. Nope.  Same thing happens with Portholes.

• Like 3

I cruise on the Celebration next month, with 2 connecting larger balcony cabins booked.  I've gotten several upgrade offers via email (for extremely low upgrade rates, the lowest was $26 per cabin) but haven't accepted any (nor have I declined them on the website).  I booked the cruise in maybe July of last year and paid a great rate, so I'm sure that if I took the upgrade offer that they could sell my cabins at a much larger price.

I probably won't take any of the offers because I want the 2 rooms to be connected (or side by side) and don't want to lose the balcony cabins that we have.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TechDiva said:

I cruise on the Celebration next month, with 2 connecting larger balcony cabins booked.  I've gotten several upgrade offers via email (for extremely low upgrade rates, the lowest was $26 per cabin) but haven't accepted any (nor have I declined them on the website).  I booked the cruise in maybe July of last year and paid a great rate, so I'm sure that if I took the upgrade offer that they could sell my cabins at a much larger price.

I probably won't take any of the offers because I want the 2 rooms to be connected (or side by side) and don't want to lose the balcony cabins that we have.

Connecting staterooms are always prime for upsells.  

10 hours ago, OceanZena said:

I have received an upgrade to a better cabin.  Last year we upgraded from a spa interior to a spa suite for $500.  You can bet I jumped on that without hesitating a second!

• Like 1

On the topic of receiving these upgrades, does your booking need to be paid in full? Or does that not matter? I have 4 booked but none of them are paid in full yet, I can if I thought it might improve my chances.

2 hours ago, nascartim said:

On the topic of receiving these upgrades, does your booking need to be paid in full? Or does that not matter? I have 4 booked but none of them are paid in full yet, I can if I thought it might improve my chances.

I have received one email offer for an "upgrade" and I am not paid in full.  In fact, I'm not due to pay in full until November.  I think the reason that I got the offer is because I am in a cove balcony which apparently are pretty popular.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nascartim said:

I don't think it matters as I have had offers both before and after.   It really is driven by the demand they see for the particular type of cabin you have booked.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nascartim said:

For my situation, i'm not paid in full so Carnival must really want to resell my cabin. It will be interesting to see if I get any more offers from them to move and if they'll be sweeter than the first one. 

Why they think anyone would actually PAY $42 to move from a long balcony over to a regular sized one is pretty hysterical. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OceanZena said:

For my situation, i'm not paid in full so Carnival must really want to resell my cabin

Same here. I was in a Deluxe OV on the Panorama in December of this year and less than a week later had an offer in my cruise planner for a cove balcony mid-forward which I gladly jumped on for $200 (saved about $200 from buying it that way when booking). I had to pay the upgrade cost on the spot but am still not paid in full otherwise.

Edited by notscb

20 hours ago, nascartim said:

It is always location and type, doesn't even matter what you paid, if you are Blue/Red or Platmond...

Some "upgrade" offers are actually decent upgrades. We had an 8d balcony and a month before the cruise got an offer for an Ocean Suite. Never stayed in one before and the upgrade was $350. It was well worth it in our book.

• Like 3