Azamara Circle Question - when your level changes

azjoy

I tried once using my free nights but was told the free nights only apply if you book a cruise at the full rate. Since the cruise I wanted to book was discounted/had special offers applied, it worked out cheaper to book without the free nights than with them. Has anyone had any luck using free nights on a discounted cruise (which most are), and what was the process?

7 minutes ago, NicNata said:

I tried once using my free nights but was told the free nights only apply if you book a cruise at the full rate. Since the cruise I wanted to book was discounted/had special offers applied, it worked out cheaper to book without the free nights than with them. Has anyone had any luck using free nights on a discounted cruise (which most are), and what was the process?

No it’s always quoted at the full rate hence why three free nights often aren’t worth anything when you come to get quotes. Sometimes on 7 night cruises they are or on itineraries where prices don’t drop - you have to always get thing’s priced two ways with and without using free nights to make your decision 

• Like 2

We’re booked on a 7 night cruise in October using our 4 free nights. I repriced every time there was a promotion and it was always lower with the free nights. We booked on board last year so got the OBC for onboard booking and we booked the previous cruise so got the OBC for the B2B also.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, uktog said:

No it’s always quoted at the full rate hence why three free nights often aren’t worth anything when you come to get quotes. Sometimes on 7 night cruises they are or on itineraries where prices don’t drop - you have to always get thing’s priced two ways with and without using free nights to make your decision 

agree - I didn't use my 4 free nights as the trips I was interested in were cheaper to pay £ and get whatever benefits were in offer when comparison done

Used 6 free nights on a 7 night cruise

• Like 1

When we were on-board in May I had the Future Cruise Guy price a 15 night South Africa cruise using the current promotion and then using our 4-free nights.  First, he had to verify our level and the points as they were not correct on the website.  Then he had to email Miami to get the 'official' pricing using our 4 free nights.  It took many days but we finally got confirmed pricing and the 4-free nights were about $1000 less than the current promotion.  Since we were not planning on booking something else, it was better to use the free nights than have them expire.  Long story short, it's always worth having a cruise priced both ways and you almost have to do it with the additional on-board perks to make it viable.

• Like 4

I've usually found the use of free nights is easier and more financially viable doing it on the ship when you can combine onboard booking benefits. Not always, especially when you have only three or four of them, but more chance of finding something when working through it with a good onboard sales person. 

Phil 

• Like 4

Guest Cooper2020

I booked earlier this year  for July 2023  on the ship having 6 free nights - it worked out £2000 less than the advertised price.  Did not get the  advertised on board credit or the 10% quarterly discount  but we felt it was worth it.

On 6/22/2023 at 9:59 AM, Mackdogmolly said:

Thanks for this. It was certainly not my understanding. And now that I am off of my “qualifying” cruise, my new loyalty level has not shown up. Gah!

I've been waiting months for my OLD level to show up.  I've sent in the forms, I've called multiple times, no changes yet.  "Keep waiting" they tell me...it's been 4 months.  How much longer?!

• 2 months later...

I started this thread and just wanted to post our final result.  Success!!

The Future Cruise Consultant on Journey, Tine, was very helpful and knowledgeable.  We met with her on the day after we met the requirements for the new level, Discoverer+.  When we explained what we wanted, there was no pushback or hedging.  She agreed the free nights could be booked on the current cruise and volunteered to price the cruise 2 ways:

- at the "full" price, discounting the 6 free nights

- then at the current sale price.  

She had a spreadsheet to estimate the price using the free nights.  When that came out to be significantly less than the sale price, she put the cabin on hold and sent it to Azamara pricing for confirmation.  We expected it to take a long time but they responded in less than 2 days (and this was over the U.S. Labor Day holiday) with the same price she estimated.  I almost ran down the steps to give her the deposit! 

As several others reported, it can be done on the qualifying cruise with a knowledgeable Future Cruise Consultant.  If the FCC insists it can't be done, I would suggest politely but firmly asking that the policy be verified with the department manager or HQ.  I've used this tactic with airlines, hotels and many other businesses.   

I only insist when I've verified with knowledgeable sources (i.e. the regulars on this forum!) that it can and has been done.  Perhaps the agent is new or wasn't trained on this situation so this can be an opportunity for the them to learn - and help other customers.   

• Like 4

1 minute ago, azjoy said:

The Future Cruise Consultant on Journey, Tine, was very helpful and knowledgeable.  We met with her on the day after we met the requirements for the new level, Discoverer+.  When we explained what we wanted, there was no pushback or hedging.  She agreed the free nights could be booked on the current cruise and volunteered to price the cruise 2 ways:

She had a spreadsheet to estimate the price using the free nights.  When that came out to be significantly less than the sale price, she put the cabin on hold and sent it to Azamara pricing for confirmation.  We expected it to take a long time but they responded in less than 2 days (and this was over the U.S. Labor Day holiday) with the same price she estimated.  I almost ran down the steps to give her the deposit! 

As several others reported, it can be done on the qualifying cruise with a knowledgeable Future Cruise Consultant.  If the FCC insists it can't be done, I would suggest politely but firmly asking that the policy be verified with the department manager or HQ.  I've used this tactic with airlines, hotels and many other businesses.   

I only insist when I've verified with knowledgeable sources (i.e. the regulars on this forum!) that it can and has been done.  Perhaps the agent is new or wasn't trained on this situation so this can be an opportunity for the them to learn - and help other customers.   

IMHO the future cruise staff on Journey are outstanding. 

10 minutes ago, azjoy said:

That's great. Glad you got it all sorted. It does make a huge difference when you get someone who is diligent and obviously helping you as a guest to make it work. That's what loyalty is all about. 

Phil 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

That's great. Glad you got it all sorted. It does make a huge difference when you get someone who is diligent and obviously helping you as a guest to make it work. That's what loyalty is all about. 

Phil 

We've always found the FCC/Loyalty Ambassador on the ships to to be very informed and helpful-- much more so than a random shoreside agent.    I would guess that these folks book more cruises than any single shoreside one.  They have seen all kinds of "unique ( not so much...) circumstances, and know what do to. Tine on Journey, Matt on Quest, and others on the other ships have always been most helpful and explained the best deal for us

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DS said:

We've always found the FCC/Loyalty Ambassador on the ships to to be very informed and helpful-- much more so than a random shoreside agent.    I would guess that these folks book more cruises than any single shoreside one.  They have seen all kinds of "unique ( not so much...) circumstances, and know what do to. Tine on Journey, Matt on Quest, and others on the other ships have always been most helpful and explained the best deal for us

I'm not going to name names here because it's not fair when they have no way to reply, but suffice to say I have had very good experiences and some not so good.  They have tough targets to achieve and sometimes it shows. Enough said. 

Phil 

• Like 1

Agree I’ve had great support from some of the regular sales people onboard and I’ve had appalling efforts from another (twice) but as you say I’m not going to name even the good ones to stop people filling the gaps to work out the bad. 

I would always advise do your research before you go onboard make sure you know the terms for booking in your country (onboard staff often only know USA) and don’t be afraid to challenge what you’re told. Also don’t fall for the high pressure techniques some use as Phil says they’re target driven and some behaviours can be focused to hitting their targets not doing what’s right for you. I’m one who backs away as soon as I sense pressure. 

The other thing book an appointment early in the cruise, it’s surprising how limited the availability of the Sales Manager is - it’s often 9-11 on port days when everyone is ashore and 5-8 but with a dinner break some evenings. Even during those advertised times they may be away from their desks for extended periods

So, in summary, do your homework, check the facts and be organised. 

Do that and you should be fine regardless of whose onboard 

• Like 2