Best resturant you ever dined in

lenquixote66

#1 Gramercy Tavern NYC

#2 A “pub” in an off the beaten track in Sicily where the owner was chef and waiter. Truly memorable authentic Sicilian meal that I’ll probably never find again!

#3 The Dorset lamb offering carved tableside in the Princess Grill on Queen Mary 2. 

On 9/18/2023 at 11:00 PM, NE John said:

#1 Gramercy Tavern NYC

#2 A “pub” in an off the beaten track in Sicily where the owner was chef and waiter. Truly memorable authentic Sicilian meal that I’ll probably never find again!

#3 The Dorset lamb offering carved tableside in the Princess Grill on Queen Mary 2. 

I worked around the corner from Gramercy Tavern for 25 years and went to lunch there at least once a week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our favorite restaurant is Tamarind on several Holland America ships. We have eaten there several times and absolutely love it. We have been on 44 cruises and have been avid travelers for over 50 years. My husband is a retired 747 Captain and has flown all over the world, especially to Asia, Europe and India. We love all ethnic foods!!

• 2 weeks later...

Not surprised that a Danny Meyer restaurant worked its way into this thread :).  Even Shake Shack is decent.  As to the Gramercy Tavern, a couple could easily spend over $800 on dinner.  Argh!  We recently had dinner on Explora 1 which was cooked by Emma Bengtsson (Chef at Aquavit in NYC).  There were only 7 diners at that dinner and having our meal prepared by a Michelin 2* Chef was quite an experience.  Much of the tasting menu was right off her menu at Aquavit.  

To explain, the Explora 1 ship has a special small restaurant (Anthology) where meals are curated (and often cooked by) various guest chefs (generally holding Michelin stars.  Chef Emma had come aboard for a few weeks to cook, and it was a real treat.  We are not aware of any cruise ship that uses high end Guest Chefs (many use famous chef names and menus they helped curate).  

Hank

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Not surprised that a Danny Meyer restaurant worked its way into this thread :).  Even Shake Shack is decent.  As to the Gramercy Tavern, a couple could easily spend over $800 on dinner.  Argh!  We recently had dinner on Explora 1 which was cooked by Emma Bengtsson (Chef at Aquavit in NYC).  There were only 7 diners at that dinner and having our meal prepared by a Michelin 2* Chef was quite an experience.  Much of the tasting menu was right off her menu at Aquavit.  

To explain, the Explora 1 ship has a special small restaurant (Anthology) where meals are curated (and often cooked by) various guest chefs (generally holding Michelin stars.  Chef Emma had come aboard for a few weeks to cook, and it was a real treat.  We are not aware of any cruise ship that uses high end Guest Chefs (many use famous chef names and menus they helped curate).  

Hank

My days dining in the Gramercy Tavern began in the 1970’s when it was not expensive to have a nice dinner.

16 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My days dining in the Gramercy Tavern began in the 1970’s when it was not expensive to have a nice dinner.

At the risk of repeating myself, you seem to be caught in the past.  Cruises from 50 years ago and restaurants from 60 years ago!  It is an entirely different world and being caught up in the past serves no useful purpose.  We prefer to live in the NOW and deal with current realities.  

Hank

31 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

being caught up in the past serves no useful purpose. 

Have to disagree. But then, as a historian (albeit generally a retirement hobby), I guess I would disagree. We forget the past at our peril in so many aspects of life. IMO, of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

At the risk of repeating myself, you seem to be caught in the past.  Cruises from 50 years ago and restaurants from 60 years ago!  It is an entirely different world and being caught up in the past serves no useful purpose.  We prefer to live in the NOW and deal with current realities.  

Hank

We have different opinions.I could site the number of books written about the past,movies about the past but that would take us off topic.