Need a top MSC executive contact.

Nashna

Here is my tale of the MSC runaround...  We booked the Marigivilia Canada/New England October 4th voyage in the Yacht Club. I typically make my reservation, then turn it over to a TA for additional benefits. Every detail was planned, and we were very excited to sail.  In April, I was told that I need a replacement...first available time is September, so I have no choice but to cancel the cruise.  Since the trip was exactly what we wanted and the plans were all figured out, we decided to rebook the same itinerary in September 2024.  I contacted my TA and requested that he cancel and rebook the itinerary.  He called back to say that the deposit was not transferrable.  I quoted him the MSC one free change to a reservation in YC, and he called MSC back.  They told him I had a particular deposit of $495.00 for two, which was non-refundable.  I called MSC, spoke to an agent, then a supervisor, and the supervisor agreed that my deposit should be able to be transferred since I was a YC booking.  I asked her to document the reservation, and she returned a few minutes later to say that she had done so and that my TA could make the change.  My TA called MSC the next day and was told that he had to wait until June to make the change.  We both know that MSC can have quirky rules, so we agreed to wait.  Of course, he was told the deposit was non-refundable and could not be applied to the new booking.  At this point, I called MSC and spoke to an amiable agent who said my TA was the only one who could change the record.  I then requested my agent to release the booking back to me so I might contact someone higher up at MSC and fight on my behalf.  Now, my TA is trying to arrange a conference call with MSC.  I have been researching other cruise lines, but MSC's voyage is exactly what we want at the pricing we need.  I am beyond frustrated.  Does anyone know someone high up in MSC to contact regarding this?  

I just went through this a bit and had to hunt this down in the Terms and Conditions.  It probably explains the issue, as you need to be within 90 days of your original departure date, although they are not explaining it well:

For Bookings with the Fantastica, Aurea or Yacht Club Experience, one departure date change can be made
free of charge from the time the Booking penalty period begins, as stated in the above cancellation chart, until
30 days prior to departure. Any subsequent departure date change will result in a fee of $50 per person. The
new departure date must be within 90 days of the original departure date. Any change to a date that is more
than 90 days from the original departure date is considered a cancellation and is subject to the above
cancellation charges. Any change made less than 30 days prior to departure is considered a cancellation and
is subject to the above cancellation charges.

38 minutes ago, Robert_Loblaw said:

The new departure date must be within 90 days of the original departure date. Any change to a date that is more than 90 days from the original departure date is considered a cancellation and is subject to the above cancellation charges.

This is the sticking point.  The YC change must be for a date AFTER the original sailing but only up until 90 days after.  It has become much more restrictive so moving a year out would not qualify.  (I had to move a YC sailing and this was reiterated with the agent. )

As far as the deposit, $398 is typical for a YC non refundable deposit.  I've never heard of a $495 deposit HOWEVER there are some deposits that are entirely non refundable.  

For turning a reservation BACK to you, I think that'd be impossible. It's in your TA's hands.  I'm sorry you are having this issue.  As the MSC rep said to me yesterday, "that's why you need travel insurance."

IIRC, something similar happened to another forum member. MSC wouldn't budge and the deposit was lost. The travel agent threw in some OBC for the 2nd cruise to cover the lost deposit.

As others have pointed out, the "change" has to be for a sailing no more than 3 months from the original sailing.

11 hours ago, Nashna said:

At this point, I called MSC and spoke to an amiable agent who said my TA was the only one who could change the record.  I then requested my agent to release the booking back to me so I might contact someone higher up at MSC and fight on my behalf.  

The problem is that you cannot have it both. Use an agent and then talk with them directly to find a solution. You already solved it together with that supervisor, but then the TA needs to been brought in and the whole story starts again. 

I am very familiar with that situation, it is always a hard decision if i take a TA or handle it by myself. Last booking i decided to do it by my own, because i already saw potential problems coming. That was a good idea indeed I needed to change the booking and made it directly with a qualified MSC hotline person. No money was lost and I got my confirmation minutes later. 

By the way, i don't think Italian - or Malaysian 😄 - corporate culture does include the option that a higher ranked executive is willing to talk and discuss with a "normal" customer.

Another thing, ignore it when someone says "use an agent", because it needs to be an agent who has a lot of business and is experienced with MSC and is recognized by them as valued partner. These TA usually have a personal contact at MSC and a much higher chance to get what you want from MSC.

Edited by perakcruiser

It is what it is…. You either make the change within 90 days of the original or lose it. 

and just give up on contacting MSC management, not gonna happen.  Even if you did, they don’t want to talk to you. They don’t care. After several years of dealing with this company, and many many nightmares, Im done. I myself surrendered 198$ deposit to them recently and walked away never to ever return. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nashna said:

Now, my TA is trying to arrange a conference call with MSC.  I have been researching other cruise lines, but MSC's voyage is exactly what we want at the pricing we need.  I am beyond frustrated.  Does anyone know someone high up in MSC to contact regarding this?  

As others have noted, you have to change to a cruise 90 days out. Your TA is not going to get a conference call with MSC to discuss because there is nothing to discuss unfortunately. The policy is what it is. Your TA should have a direct contact with MSC, usually something like a business development manager or a regional sales representative. The best you can hope for is they plead your case to them and that person throws in some On board credit. Don't count on it, but that's about the best possible outcome.  But your original deposit is lost unless your new cruise is 90 days from the original sail date per the MSC rules. 

• Like 1

My beef is that I was told it could be done as I had booked my cruise before the 90-day rule.  The supervisor told me she documented the record so "I wouldn't have any issues."  At this point, I have told my TA to fagettaboutit!   I have the name of a top executive staff member who happens to be someone I met when he was in a prior position.  I am sending him a letter explaining my issues with MSC.  At this point, I do not expect anything from him.  I simply want to advise him that they have and will continue to lose guests with poor customer service policies.  My TA has joined the ranks of professionals who reluctantly sell MSC.