Going to the beach - I am overcomplicating this! :-)

MildredK

We’ve been to HI many times on land trips, this will be our first cruise and I think I’m fixated on land based methods.   Help me make this as easy as it should be 🙂

We will tender in Maui and dock in Kauai and we’d like to go to a beach at both.  It would be great if the beach had chairs, facilities etc….   Ok, tell me how you like to do that from the port or dock?   Yes, silly basic question but we haven’t been to HI in many years and I can’t visualize the process from a cruise ship.  Thank you!  

If you are tendering in Maui that means you are coming in at Lahaina. If that is correct, you are just a few miles away from Ka'anapali Beach which got the #1 beach in America award from trip advisor last year (although subjective of course). 

Easiest way from the pier in Lahaina is to grab an uber. Head to Whalers village. There you will find plenty of food, shops, the world famous monkeypod Mai-tai, and places to rent beach chairs. 

https://www.whalersvillage.com/en.html

You can also take the bus for $1/$2. I've written extensive directions for how to use the bus in Maui on other threads. Let me know if you want this option and I can point you to the right direction.

Here's an article on the beach award:

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2023/03/10/kaanapali-beach-ranked-no-1-beach-in-the-us.html#:~:text=On the list of best beaches in the,Beach Park on Maui was named No. 5.

Enjoy your time on Maui. It's paradise.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

If you are tendering in Maui that means you are coming in at Lahaina. If that is correct, you are just a few miles away from Ka'anapali Beach which got the #1 beach in America award from trip advisor last year (although subjective of course). 

Easiest way from the pier in Lahaina is to grab an uber. Head to Whalers village. There you will find plenty of food, shops, the world famous monkeypod Mai-tai, and places to rent beach chairs. 

https://www.whalersvillage.com/en.html

You can also take the bus for $1/$2. I've written extensive directions for how to use the bus in Maui on other threads. Let me know if you want this option and I can point you to the right direction.

Here's an article on the beach award:

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2023/03/10/kaanapali-beach-ranked-no-1-beach-in-the-us.html#:~:text=On the list of best beaches in the,Beach Park on Maui was named No. 5.

Enjoy your time on Maui. It's paradise.

Thanks BermudaBound2014!    Please do point me in the right direction!  I appreciate your response!   

Edited by MildredK

13 minutes ago, MildredK said:

Thanks BermudaBound2014!    Please do point me in the right direction!  I appreciate your response!   

See post #10 in this thread:

We got way off track in that thread talking about the feasibility of walking to Kaanapali, but #10 gives directions for riding the bus. 

I don't know if there are any vendors at Kalapaki Beach (Kauai). The only times I've been at Kalapaki is when I stayed at the Kauai Surf/Kauai Marriott and then I used the hotel beach facilities. I have not stayed there since Royal Sonesta took over the management.

There is a place at Ka'anapali Beach behind Whaler's Village that rents chairs, umbrellas, etc.

I would cab or Uber to Whaler's Village from the tender dock.

On 6/25/2023 at 1:34 AM, scottca075 said:

There is a place at Ka'anapali Beach behind Whaler's Village that rents chairs, umbrellas, etc.

The Whaler Pool Hale (on the beach path towards Black Rock coming from Whalers Village) is a part of the Whaler condo but they rent chairs, umbrellas, and provide beach services to non residents/guests. It is a small building tucked in right by the entrance to the Whaler's pool-- you'll see a bunch of chairs and surf boards stacked next to it. If you are in Whalers Village facing the ocean, turn right and walk past Hula Grill. It will be the next complex down. 

The only thing you can't do is use the pool or their towels but you will be able to pay for all the other beach rentals/services. One of the better kept "secrets" on Kaanapali. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kalapaki beach next to Nawiliwili is a nice beach with restrooms in the park behind the shopping center, and at the far end of the beach by the elevators. Several nearby shops offer chair and umbrellas, as well as boards for rent.

• Thanks 1