Amsterdam on Ventura, just back.

P&O SUE

4 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

On Ventura it wasn’t used at all for the MDR’s. For some reason it was for the Glasshouse, the other restaurants could be booked online before we went. 

We did sign into it but only used it to check our onboard spend!

OK thanks. A retrograde step in my opinion.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I’m sure we will enjoy it but we are going knowing that she’s an older ship that won’t feel as bright and airy as Iona.

I’m expecting the biggest difference to be the cabin which looks more dated with the decor and furniture. I have warned my hubbie that he may not fit under the shower head properly and that there’s a shower curtain not a screen. The small tvs won’t bother us as we won’t be watching tv. We chosen a deck C balcony so that our outside space is bigger.

We were spoiled really with our first ever cabin being a conservatory mini suite. 
Sounds daft but I think we’ll miss having the Quays too.

One thing Ventura has that Iona doesn’t, drawers for your undies 😁

I think the glass doors look much better on the showers but the curtains don’t really bother me. I’ve heard people say they stick to them but I’m not the slimmest person but they don’t stick to me! It was powerful and hot.

That reminds me, the first morning water was left in the bottom of our shower, a couple of inches that didn’t flow away. Also we got hot water only from the tap, not cold! So we went to reception and reported it. When we came back to our room a couple of hours later they were both fixed.

1 minute ago, Teddy123 said:

OK thanks. A retrograde step in my opinion.

We were very happy not to virtual queue for the restaurant, just turn up! I’m still scarred by Formal night on Britannia last year when we waited over two hours to be called! When we went to ask we were told the table was ready but for some reason hadn’t updated on the app! 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

We were very happy not to virtual queue for the restaurant, just turn up! I’m still scarred by Formal night on Britannia last year when we waited over two hours to be called! When we went to ask we were told the table was ready but for some reason hadn’t updated on the app! 

We had 300 infront of us so it still makes my normally placid hubby twitch like the Herbert Lom off The Pink Panther films. If you have no idea what I am talking about I envy your youth 😉

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Teddy123 said:

A question: is the app now not used at all or just optional? (we think it's great). Thanks.

You must be unique -- not being sarcastic. When did you sail as I've not yet heard anyone at all say it worked. We retire next year so want to book when you booked to avoid the chaos we had.

11 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

That reminds me, the first morning water was left in the bottom of our shower, a couple of inches that didn’t flow away. Also we got hot water only from the tap, not cold! So we went to reception and reported it. When we came back to our room a couple of hours later they were both fixed.

I know that some others have reported different experiences, but I have to say that I have always been hugely impressed with the maintenance teams on P&O ships and the speed with which they resolve (or attempt to resolve) issues. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Presto2 said:

You must be unique -- not being sarcastic. When did you sail as I've not yet heard anyone at all say it worked. We retire next year so want to book when you booked to avoid the chaos we had.

Worked perfectly last October (Ventura) and this April (Iona).  Joined queue in our cabin or elsewhere, got on with our lives (eg getting changed) and went to MDR when we knew there was a table for us. Much better than the "good old days" with a traipse down to MDR in the hope of a table, only to find the queue started at 5.30 or to get a pager that doesn't work in the cabin or many other locations.  (Table size may be a factor in how beneficial it is - "sharers" may be much more able to just walk in).  If P&O have dropped the "app" fleet-wide and permanently this will affect our decision of future cruises.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Certainly not unique, having used the 'app' since the seacations and on many cruises since and not had any issues with it.  Used it this year on both Ventura and Azura with no issues.  Will see what has been changed on Thursday on Azura.

I also helped some other passengers out on Ventura, who on their 3rd cruise with the 'app' still couldn't get it to work.  After 5 minutes, showing them how and what to log into, and what to change when going ashore, all sorted.  They even found me again later in the cruise to thank me again and offered to bus us drinks in appreciation.

I personally like it and hope it leads the way towards a full Princess proper app copy and experience.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Presto2 said:

We had no problems using it last May on Iona & my parents said it was fine on Iona in January, neither times were in school holidays though.

• Like 1

On Azura last May it would not work in the cabin, it would only work in the larger public areas of the ship. On Arvia this May it kept crashing and had several glitches. I was not the only one to experience this on Arvia either, lots of people were complaining! I'm on Britannia in September so will see what happens then.

On 6/25/2023 at 9:06 AM, P&O SUE said:

On Ventura it wasn’t used at all for the MDR’s. For some reason it was for the Glasshouse, the other restaurants could be booked online before we went. 

We did sign into it but only used it to check our onboard spend!

I totally agree with some others that having the option to use the app to book MDR in the evening was a huge advantage which we have experienced on Aurora.  It was not essential to use it, (quite possible to just turn up and be given a buzzer if the restaurant is busy), so I do not see why some people seem to object to it being used, albeit I am quite understanding that some may not want to use it themselves.  Perhaps I am missing something there, in which case perhaps someone can enlighten me about that.

The alternative has always been a bad experience for us.  On Arcadia this month the app was not being used and whilst if we went at quiet times we could just go into the restaurant, the alternative was a buzzer which only had a very short range (confirmed by the restaurant manager), so there was a need to hang about very near the restaurant.  In fact only those asking for a table for two were given buzzers, whilst others had to form a queue standing outside the restaurant.  We had experienced such queues on Oriana a number of years back and have very bad memories of spending about 45 mins in that queue several nights until we learnt how the system worked.  After that we then went to the restaurant once we knew the tables for two would be occupied (about 6.30pm) and were given, so we could swan in past the long queue which had built up about an hour later.  Of course for people travelling with more than one other person, even that is not possible as they of course could not ask for a table for two.  I need to add that we would not necessarily request a table for two, but it was the only way to avoid that 45mins standing in the queue on Oriana.  We encountered a family of three on Arcadia on our recent cruise who were not at all happy about that situation as they often had no alternative to stand in a queue. 

We were not prepared to get into that situation on Arcadia so we either turned up early - before 6.30pm when we could quite happliy go straight into the restaurant, or ate elsewhere.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

Just to add to my previous post we have found at times our phone would drop out of the app, so it was necessary to refresh the page, but our place in the queue was maintained.  A member of staff on the door at the restaurant explained that to us, so we learnt about that early on in our 28 night cruise, but that would need to be explained to passengers by staff if that became a problem.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tring said:

I totally agree with some others that having the option to use the app to book MDR in the evening was a huge advantage which we have experienced on Aurora.  It was not essential to use it, (quite possible to just turn up and be given a buzzer if the restaurant is busy), so I do not see why some people seem to object to it being used, albeit I am quite understanding that some may not want to use it themselves.  Perhaps I am missing something there, in which case perhaps someone can enlighten me about that.

The alternative has always been a bad experience for us.  On Arcadia this month the app was not being used and whilst if we went at quiet times we could just go into the restaurant, the alternative was a buzzer which only had a very short range (confirmed by the restaurant manager), so there was a need to hang about very near the restaurant.  In fact only those asking for a table for two were given buzzers, whilst others had to form a queue standing outside the restaurant.  We had experienced such queues on Oriana a number of years back and have very bad memories of spending about 45 mins in that queue several nights until we learnt how the system worked.  After that we then went to the restaurant once we knew the tables for two would be occupied (about 6.30pm) and were given, so we could swan in past the long queue which had built up about an hour later.  Of course for people travelling with more than one other person, even that is not possible as they of course could not ask for a table for two.  I need to add that we would not necessarily request a table for two, but it was the only way to avoid that 45mins standing in the queue on Oriana.  We encountered a family of three on Arcadia on our recent cruise who were not at all happy about that situation as they often had no alternative to stand in a queue. 

We were not prepared to get into that situation on Arcadia so we either turned up early - before 6.30pm when we could quite happliy go straight into the restaurant, or ate elsewhere.

Any computer system needs to include all data, if you allow some people to avoid using the system, then it is essential that their data is input by someone else, if not the system has no idea about their data and any decisions it makes are dubious if not totally invalid.

I suspect that most of the problems encountered by Arvia passengers earlier this year resulted from restaurant staff fudging the system and allowing a significant number of passengers into the dining room without having used the app, thus the virtual queue system was brought to a standstill because tables that should have been available for virtual queue passengers were suddenly withdrawn from the system as the non app passengers were seated.

It's all or nothing in my view, otherwise you just create chaos.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Teddy123 said:

Worked perfectly last October (Ventura) and this April (Iona).  Joined queue in our cabin or elsewhere, got on with our lives (eg getting changed) and went to MDR when we knew there was a table for us. Much better than the "good old days" with a traipse down to MDR in the hope of a table, only to find the queue started at 5.30 or to get a pager that doesn't work in the cabin or many other locations.  (Table size may be a factor in how beneficial it is - "sharers" may be much more able to just walk in).  If P&O have dropped the "app" fleet-wide and permanently this will affect our decision of future cruises.

We haven't had a problem with the app. Booking things was easier and the virtual queue worked out fine.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Any computer system needs to include all data, if you allow some people to avoid using the system, then it is essential that their data is input by someone else, if not the system has no idea about their data and any decisions it makes are dubious if not totally invalid.

I suspect that most of the problems encountered by Arvia passengers earlier this year resulted from restaurant staff fudging the system and allowing a significant number of passengers into the dining room without having used the app, thus the virtual queue system was brought to a standstill because tables that should have been available for virtual queue passengers were suddenly withdrawn from the system as the non app passengers were seated.

It's all or nothing in my view, otherwise you just create chaos.

If people are let into the MDR overtaking those in a queue of any kind, by being seated because they turned up in person, then that is certainly a problem, but one caused by the restaurant staff as I would see it.  If buzzers are given out to all people who turn up in person as was happening on Aurora, rather than just those requesting a table for two,(should be enough buzzers for that to happen if some are using the app), the those people are also in the queue.  So I do not see a problem there, though staff would need to check on the times the queue was joined so they could be used along side each other reasonably well.  There were obviously problems on Arvia at Christmas, but the lack of efficiency of kitchens MDR on a new ship seem to have a lot to do with that. 

I do wonder at times though if systems are not correctly adhered to, perhaps because of favouritism (possibly backhanders given or some passengers making a fuss and staff deciding to keep them happy).  To me that sounds very like the problems which have been happening at embarkation with people previously being allowed to arrive and embark early, though does seem the embarkation problems are getting better because P&O have now decided that arrival times will be followed.

Edited by tring

Glad you had a good cruise. Unfortunately ours on Ventura in March was possibly the worst cruise we have had on any P&O ship. Food in MDR was poor, brocolli with everything except the dessert. Problems boarding, cabin changed the day before, but it seemed they forgot to tell the crew as we received other peoples luggage, key cards were for someone else. Celebration Package I ordered and paid £399 for took 15 days into the cruise to sort out. Nightmare immigration in New Orleans, air bridge problems in Miami. Missed Key West as removed from itinerary a few months before cruise. Missed Bermuda as the Captain decided 4 days before docking that the weather was too bad. 3 medical emergencies and a rescue of a yacht that turned out to be a man in his forties who had two young girls onboard who were being trafficked. Oh, but Sindu was great and a couple of tribute acts were superb also. Added to that P&O, after a letter, gave me a £800 refund and a hamper. So I will be sailing with them again next year.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Presto2 said:

We must also be unique as worked perfectly on the Britannia and two separate trips on the Iona for us. I’m a big app fan.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 8:27 AM, sandancer said:

Our last cruise was on Arvia and our next is on Azura. It’s going to be so good to actually put stuff in drawers. However we did enjoy Arvia and next time I will take some fold flat drawer dividers to stand on the shelves. 

Put the items you would normally put in the drawer into packing cubes. Then just place the cube on the shelf. You don't need to spend a fortune on cubes any zip bag will do, something like a cheap shoe bag, or small storage bag.

I got a set with lots of different shapes and sizes from Lidl for I think it was £8. Some have a picture of something electrical on them, but it's your choice what you put in them.

On 6/25/2023 at 9:12 AM, P&O SUE said:

I think the glass doors look much better on the showers but the curtains don’t really bother me. I’ve heard people say they stick to them but I’m not the slimmest person but they don’t stick to me! It was powerful and hot.

I read a hint, I think from a crew member, to use magnetic hooks on the shower curtain to keep it from moving.  That's probably the only thing I would use them for, couldn't stand them all over the walls with bits of paper hanging off them.

Edited by emam
More info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love the magnetic hooks. I always take quite a lot of costume jewellery and I hang bits and pieces on the hooks close to the wardrobe area. Saves them getting tangled in a drawer (if there is a drawer). I also have one which is a bulldog clip and that’s used for the daily newsletter. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cloudyrain said:

Thanks @P&O SUE we do this trip later in the year and it’s nice to see a review as it's been a few years since we last went on the Ventura 😊

Yes we were a bit concerned after some reviews but it was fine, really like cruising before 2020!

By the way I’m not anti-app and am quite tech savvy but it was nice not to have everything booked up in advance but just show up when we wanted. As it was I didn’t see two entertainments I would have liked to have seen because we’d pre-booked Epicurean for the first night (it was all booked up every night before the cruise) and we arrived at 5pm the second day and had booked a walking tour for 7pm.

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

I love the magnetic hooks. I always take quite a lot of costume jewellery and I hang bits and pieces on the hooks close to the wardrobe area. Saves them getting tangled in a drawer (if there is a drawer). I also have one which is a bulldog clip and that’s used for the daily newsletter. 

I’m taking half a dozen with me for handbags, lanyards etc. They came in very handy last year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

By the way I’m not anti-app and am quite tech savvy but it was nice not to have everything booked up in advance but just show up when we wanted. As it was I didn’t see two entertainments I would have liked to have seen because we’d pre-booked Epicurean for the first night (it was all booked up every night before the cruise) and we arrived at 5pm the second day and had booked a walking tour for 7pm.

Does that mean you could just turn up anytime for freedom dining and there was space for you to be seated with no waits in the restaurant area with a buzzer or queues to get in and having to wait in them for half an hour or so if you turned up at busier times?

We are booked on Ventura for a cruise the winter after next, if we could do that we would be very happy, but does not seem to be the case on the other ships sadly.

Edited by tring

38 minutes ago, tring said:

Does that mean you could just turn up anytime for freedom dining and there was space for you to be seated with no waits in the restaurant area with a buzzer or queues to get in and having to wait in them for half an hour or so if you turned up at busier times?

We are booked on Ventura for a cruise the winter after next, if we could do that we would be very happy, but does not seem to be the case on the other ships sadly.

Yes we could just turn up and were seated straight away. I got the impression it had only just started on our cruise and we did go at 6 and 6.15 the days we went there. Normally we’d go 6.30-7pm. We were told we’d get a buzzer if it was busy.

As it was a short cruise to Amsterdam we were in port overnight one night and til midnight the next night so I expect a lot of people were ashore.

Edited by P&O SUE