Loosing deposit if cancel cruise?

Snowcat1

5 minutes ago, Snowcat1 said:

If I have payed $1000 deposit for. Cruise and decide to cancel before final payment, do I loose my deposit? 
What if I pay the final payment and then cancel?

You'll find the cancellation schedule and penalties for your cruise on page 2 of your Guest Statement. 🍺🥌

No matter when you cancel - before or after final payment - the cancellation fee of $100 per person is retained by Viking UNLESS you are within 120 days of your cruise.  If you are within the 120 days, then the schedule on your guest statement kicks in.

39 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

No matter when you cancel - before or after final payment - the cancellation fee of $100 per person is retained by Viking UNLESS you are within 120 days of your cruise.  If you are within the 120 days, then the schedule on your guest statement kicks in.

Lorna, just for completeness, your information is generally the case, but there are some differences if the cruise is a long one - this is from the Grand Pacific Voyage in 2023. In this case you lose $1K anytime between booking and 180 days. It was the OP's mention of the $1K deposit that caught my attention and caused me to suggest they reference the Guest Statement. 🍺🥌

image.thumb.png.3660ef8e45b8142c2898611bebd3e362.png

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

Lorna, just for completeness, your information is generally the case, but there are some differences if the cruise is a long one - this is from the Grand Pacific Voyage in 2023. In this case you lose $1K anytime between booking and 180 days. It was the OP's mention of the $1K deposit that caught my attention and caused me to suggest they reference the Guest Statement. 🍺🥌

image.thumb.png.3660ef8e45b8142c2898611bebd3e362.png

Thank you so much for this info.  I have not taken a Viking cruise more then 18 days.  My reply shows that a little knowledge can be dangerous.

• Like 1

Also, you don't have to lose anything... if you are before penalty, you can move that deposit to any other cruise in the future and not lose anything.

The end result is you won't go on the booked cruise for whatever reason, but you don't have to lose anything.

We have moved deposits or just the dates of cruises many times in the past.

• Like 2

Also depends on which country you purchased your tickets.  In Australia you lose your entire deposit if you cancel 121 days or more prior to departure.  The following is the cancellation schedule for a 7 night cruise which required a deposit of AUD1,000 per person.

image.png.9c0ef7449c1f2eb4ea94ecacd9a2a893.png

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Canberra601 said:

Also depends on which country you purchased your tickets.  In Australia you lose your entire deposit if you cancel 121 days or more prior to departure.  The following is the cancellation schedule for a 7 night cruise which required a deposit of AUD1,000 per person.

image.png.9c0ef7449c1f2eb4ea94ecacd9a2a893.png

And if you want to move it to another cruise you have to pay another $1000 deposit per person. They won’t use the previous deposit of $1000 per person as  a deposit on another cruise. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DRJVH said:

And if you want to move it to another cruise you have to pay another $1000 deposit per person. They won’t use the previous deposit of $1000 per person as  a deposit on another cruise. 

Well, perhaps that is country specific, because we have move $1000 deposit to other cruises and modified dates more than once.

In Canada, they certainly will move that deposit because they don't want to lose your business by allowing you to just cancel and walk away.

The key is you don't "Cancel" the booking you amend the booking that you have.  When you do that you even keep the same booking number.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Well, perhaps that is country specific, because we have move $1000 deposit to other cruises and modified dates more than once.

In Canada, they certainly will move that deposit because they don't want to lose your business by allowing you to just cancel and walk away.

The key is you don't "Cancel" the booking you amend the booking that you have.  When you do that you even keep the same booking number.

I think that is the key - Viking has different rules for each country in which they make sales and we all have to be conscious of the rules as they apply to where we have made the purchase. I know that the rules vary significantly between the USA and Australia.

• Like 3