Restaurant seating

Sunday golf

28 minutes ago, tiggis said:

Can you choose your reserved table or do you have to accept the one that is allocated to you?

I'm sure you can ask, but I they can't offer you any fixed table already allocated. I think they like to spread fixed tables around to even out work load. We've been happy with ours.

5 hours ago, JoJo1947 said:

That's why people struggle to get tables for two or shoved someone they don't like if they come in at 7.30pm and you please yourself .Selfish! 

I don't understand why someone with a fixed table coming in a bit late effects anyone who comes in at 7.30. If  you come in right at the earliest time, you could very well be still at your fixed table at 8pm or even until 9pm if you like a leisurely meal. It's not the works canteen. So whatever time you come in the table is out of action. The only logical objection is you think  the whole notion of some but not all being able to get a fixed table is selfish and should be stopped. If so bring it up with Sags 

13 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I don't understand why someone with a fixed table coming in a bit late effects anyone who comes in at 7.30. If  you come in right at the earliest time, you could very well be still at your fixed table at 8pm or even until 9pm if you like a leisurely meal. It's not the works canteen. So whatever time you come in the table is out of action. The only logical objection is you think  the whole notion of some but not all being able to get a fixed table is selfish and should be stopped. If so bring it up with Sags 

Where did I say that? I merely am trying without success to explain Saga's policy for fixed tables. It's you who think you can wander into suit yourself so people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Sorry you don't understand but I'm actually bored trying to explain so not wasting my time with further comments. 🙄🤦

18 hours ago, tiggis said:

Can you choose your reserved table or do you have to accept the one that is allocated to you?

On our last cruise we sat next to a couple in the MDR who had booked a specific table pre cruise.

19 hours ago, JoJo1947 said:

That's why people struggle to get tables for two or shoved someone they don't like if they come in at 7.30pm and you please yourself .Selfish! 

14 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

41 minutes ago, JoJo1947 said:

Where did I say that? I merely am trying without success to explain Saga's policy for fixed tables. It's you who think you can wander into suit yourself so people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Sorry you don't understand but I'm actually bored trying to explain so not wasting my time with further comments. 🙄🤦

Saga policy on website and in brochures makes no mention of coming in early.

"If you’d like a fixed table for the duration of your cruise, please call our cruise advisors to book one. Kindly note there is a maximum of 150 fixed tables available on each cruise".

41 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Saga policy on website and in brochures makes no mention of coming in early.

"If you’d like a fixed table for the duration of your cruise, please call our cruise advisors to book one. Kindly note there is a maximum of 150 fixed tables available on each cruise".

We've cruised with SAGA for seven weeks in the last 11 months on three different cruises and have always been allocated a table for two in advance of the cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twotravellersLondon said:

We've cruised with SAGA for seven weeks in the last 11 months on three different cruises and have always been allocated a table for two in advance of the cruise.

We've cruised 67 nights in the last 11 months and NEVER been told we have to vacate our table within an hour of being seated. In fact, we have never been given any directive about when we should vacate our table however full the cruise is. 

• Like 4

I don't think you'd have difficulty getting a table for 2 in any venue 

Saga do cultivate certain guests. Their staff get hefty discounts and are known to occupy the suites. There are also added perks for favoured guests. 

53 minutes ago, jsforum said:

I don't think you'd have difficulty getting a table for 2 in any venue 

Saga do cultivate certain guests. Their staff get hefty discounts and are known to occupy the suites. There are also added perks for favoured guests. 

Back your information up please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm like jojo1947 a bit sceptical about favoured quests , in terms of favoured people , unless its Nigel Blanks  incognito or Captain's dad, Saga do seem to treat everyone equally very well.

However there are perks to a suite, a fixed tale for two by window if you want. Bultler can find tables in speciality restaurants.  But then again they have paid double standard price. 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JoJo1947 said:

Back your information up please.

Britannia members have all sorts of perks... from discounts of up to £1,000 off a cruise to complementary cruises if they've travelled with SAGA often enough. Guests who register can book early at launch rates and can book tables and soon as they book at that stage.

Just read the webpages and find out! 

13 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Britannia members have all sorts of perks... from discounts of up to £1,000 off a cruise to complementary cruises if they've travelled with SAGA often enough. Guests who register can book early at launch rates and can book tables and soon as they book at that stage.

They Registration Scheme whereby you pay £90 per person per annual sailing sector is open to all SAGA cruisers, not just Britannia Club members. We are testament to that as we only did our first SAGA cruise last year and while on board we learned of the registration scheme from another passenger. We registered for the summer 2024 season at that time and earlier this year we had the call to choose our cruise option(s) ahead of the official public launch of the itineraries for Summer 2024. We were able to get the full 35% discount on the cabin of our choice for a cruise in August 2024.

Edited by arlowood
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, arlowood said:

They Registration Scheme whereby you pay £90 per person per annual sailing sector is open to all SAGA cruisers, not just Britannia Club members. We are testament to that as we only did our first SAGA cruise last year and while on board we learned of the registration scheme from another passenger. We registered for the summer 2024 season at that time and earlier this year we had the call to choose our cruise option(s) ahead of the official public launch of the itineraries for Summer 2024. We were able to get the full 35% discount on the cabin of our choice for a cruise in August 2024.

It is.

Perhaps we should have placed the two sentences in apart in separate paragraphs.

Thanks for clarifying for one and all.

As far as I could see, Saga have not changed in their "all are equal" attitude.

Britannia Club members get some perks according to their tier (which is quite clearly explained on the website), suite passengers get in-cabin perks (so I believe - we're always low grade) but when it comes to dining, booking speciality restaurants,booking excursions etc. everybody is treated in the same way - people with mobility problems may get allocated seating, but otherwise we are all in the same queue.

I have always thought that this was one of the nicest things about Saga, and long may it continue..

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

As far as I could see, Saga have not changed in their "all are equal" attitude.

Britannia Club members get some perks according to their tier (which is quite clearly explained on the website), suite passengers get in-cabin perks (so I believe - we're always low grade) but when it comes to dining, booking speciality restaurants,booking excursions etc. everybody is treated in the same way - people with mobility problems may get allocated seating, but otherwise we are all in the same queue.

I have always thought that this was one of the nicest things about Saga, and long may it continue..

We totally agree. It is one of the nicest things about SAGA. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FannyLiz said:

I’m booked on my first ever cruise on Spirit of Discovery in November. I am travelling solo and don’t want to be seated by myself every night. Is there any way I can ensure this doesn’t happen ? 

Turn up at the door to the restaurant and ask to share. 

Go to the singles meet-ups and arrange to share with a companion or companions... could be different people each evening.

Phone SAGA now and ask if you can join a table of singles if they have one.

Whatever happens... don't worry... we've just never seen tables of one on any evening... and we've done over 50 nights in the last 11 months.

SAGA will do it's best to make sure that you enjoy your cruise and so will the great majority of cruising companions who will be delighted to have your company and welcome your contribution at the dinner table.

Edited by twotravellersLondon

1 hour ago, FannyLiz said:

I’m booked on my first ever cruise on Spirit of Discovery in November. I am travelling solo and don’t want to be seated by myself every night. Is there any way I can ensure this doesn’t happen ? 

You would have a much harder job if you WANTED to be seated by yourself at dinner.

The solo travellers that I have met on numerous Saga cruises all say that Saga cater very well for solos ("brilliantly" is a word that gets mentioned quite often), it is exactly as twotravellers says.

Tables of 2, 4, 6, 8 - and I have seen tables of solos get on so well that they have asked for "their" table to be changed to a fixed table so they can carry on sharing (they often end up as the jolliest tables in the room).

Don't worry, Saga ships - crew and passengers - are very friendly, and very much geared up for solos.

On 6/30/2023 at 8:52 PM, twotravellersLondon said:

I am a Britannia member!  I've never had the perk of turning up at anytime in the MDR and speciality restaurants if I have a reserved table. Yes like every Saga guest I can pre register for the next year's cruises. 😀

28 minutes ago, JoJo1947 said:

I am a Britannia member!  I've never had the perk of turning up at anytime in the MDR and speciality restaurants if I have a reserved table. Yes like every Saga guest I can pre register for the next year's cruises. 😀

It may be helpful to read #43 and the appropriate SAGA webpages again.

You're absolutely correct that Britannia Club members can book a table for the evening and then turn up at any time they would like... but none of the posts on this thread suggests in anyway that they have the right to. 

Most folks on SAGA expect (and get) great food, excellent service and a throughly enjoyable restaurant experience. That's because in a ship which can have up to almost 1,000 cruisers on board is organised in such a way as to control the flow into the restaurants... for the benefit of the cruise community as a whole in exactly the same was as good land-based restaurants spread their booking over a period of time so that kitchen and the front of house can perform as best as they can.

Even in our village... our local gastro-pub, Indian, Thai, Italian, Greek, American and all of the other reasonable restaurants operate booking systems to make sure that they have a chance to offer folks the best dining experience, the best food at reasonable and manageable pace. Our local chippy has a non-bookable sit-down section and folks who arrive when it's full wait for a table to come free. (It does great Fish & Chips... so ten or twenty mins wait is well worthy it.)

Of course many land-based restaurant allow walk-ins... so does SAGA... in the Grand Dining Rooms, by the Lido, on the Veranda and in the Grills. Just turn up during restaurant opening hours anytime that you like and if there's a table free walk right in or if the place is full... wait a few moments like on many other cruise lines and you'll be seated as soon as possible.

For this who prefer to eat where they like, when they like and at which table they like best but don't want to be tied down to a pre-arranged time... private yacht charters are a great boon! ("Perchance to dream...  Shakespeare's Hamlet or Batman... takes yer choice")

However as Britannia Club perks go... a bottle of fin in the cabin on arrival, a cocktail party and for those who book now a saving of up to £1,000 per person on selected 2023 ocean cruise! For those higher up the loyalty scheme perks include... unlimited mileage for transfers to and from the ship, and a free cruise up to 22 nights and private dining from a bespoke menu with the Captain (But it's a set time... we understand for most people... that's not a problem)

Anybody, not just Britannia Club Members, can pre-book a Table in the MDR. It is first come first served with a max of 150 Tables available for pre-booking. That is why booking at Pre-Registration stage gives you an advantage with all the info is on the Saga Website.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 2:10 PM, twotravellersLondon said:

It may be helpful to read #43 and the appropriate SAGA webpages again.

You're absolutely correct that Britannia Club members can book a table for the evening and then turn up at any time they would like... but none of the posts on this thread suggests in anyway that they have the right to. 

Most folks on SAGA expect (and get) great food, excellent service and a throughly enjoyable restaurant experience. That's because in a ship which can have up to almost 1,000 cruisers on board is organised in such a way as to control the flow into the restaurants... for the benefit of the cruise community as a whole in exactly the same was as good land-based restaurants spread their booking over a period of time so that kitchen and the front of house can perform as best as they can.

Even in our village... our local gastro-pub, Indian, Thai, Italian, Greek, American and all of the other reasonable restaurants operate booking systems to make sure that they have a chance to offer folks the best dining experience, the best food at reasonable and manageable pace. Our local chippy has a non-bookable sit-down section and folks who arrive when it's full wait for a table to come free. (It does great Fish & Chips... so ten or twenty mins wait is well worthy it.)

Of course many land-based restaurant allow walk-ins... so does SAGA... in the Grand Dining Rooms, by the Lido, on the Veranda and in the Grills. Just turn up during restaurant opening hours anytime that you like and if there's a table free walk right in or if the place is full... wait a few moments like on many other cruise lines and you'll be seated as soon as possible.

For this who prefer to eat where they like, when they like and at which table they like best but don't want to be tied down to a pre-arranged time... private yacht charters are a great boon! ("Perchance to dream...  Shakespeare's Hamlet or Batman... takes yer choice")

However as Britannia Club perks go... a bottle of fin in the cabin on arrival, a cocktail party and for those who book now a saving of up to £1,000 per person on selected 2023 ocean cruise! For those higher up the loyalty scheme perks include... unlimited mileage for transfers to and from the ship, and a free cruise up to 22 nights and private dining from a bespoke menu with the Captain (But it's a set time... we understand for most people... that's not a problem)

I know 😂😂