Restaurant seating

Sunday golf

I did wonder if I was one of the youngest Britannia Club members at 52, when my badge arrived recently!

In terms of getting what you want in any dining room, the single best answer is roll up and ask. Try to get the most senior person around (learn the uniforms) and ask as early in the cruise as you can. There is sometimes a trade off - like we've never had a reserved table, but were promised they'd hold or preferred table for the first 15 minutes or so of dinner service. 

And, some of my best cruise stories have sprung from terrible dinner tables - though I still try to not repeat those experience! 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, SaraSailing said:

In terms of getting what you want in any dining room, the single best answer is roll up and ask. Try to get the most senior person around (learn the uniforms) and ask

Obviously most people quite rightly wouldn’t ask the Captain, the Staff Captain or the Chief Engineer or the Cruise Director and it's obviously pointless asking the Food & Beverage Manager, the Hotel General Manager or the Restaurant Manager... but all clients are informed how to book Speciality Restaurant on the day that they embark.

We... and about 900 other cruisers were on the same SAGA cruise... that you posted about a couple of months ago.... "Contrasts of Scandinavia" that left Dover on 21 May 2023. On embarkation day everyone received a copy of "Today" with the clear instruction almost at the top of the first page that...

"Booking Speciality Restaurants: The Club (Steakhouse), Coast to Coast (Seafood), and East to West (Asian) can be made between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm by dialling our booking line 6363. Reservations can also be made in the respective restaurants between 9.30 am to 10.30 am and in the evening between 5.30 pm to 6.15 pm in all outlets.

The entire system is digital and very sophisticated. For instance when a booking for a speciality restaurant is made and other booking... for instance a fixed table in the Grand Dining Room... is cancelled and the on the evening the reception staff on the Grand Dining Room desks are alerted by the table being flagged on the screen in a different colour... but there's a lot more to it than that.

If someone wants a fixed table, it's better to arrange that when booking the cruise or as soon as possible before departure.  Often it might be possible to arrange a fixed table on board by also by dialling 6363 9.00 am and 5.00 pm or in person in the evening between 5.30 pm to 6.15 pm in all outlets.

The members of staff on restaurant reception are, in general very well trained, skilled at what they do and we find that it's far better to deal with them rather than to "learn the uniforms" and "try to get the most senior person around."

IMG_1588.thumb.jpg.dc246397f1a967c3b8092a080f6852a8.jpg

The Britannia club has many benefits , but a fixed table is not one of them

https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/britannia-club.aspx

There are 150 fixed table places on a first come first served basis. So those that book first via preregistering are first in queue. Preregistering is open to everyone.

Given that on most ships the vast majority of the passengers are repeat customers and Brittania Club members, giving all Brittania Club members the right to a fixed table is completely impractical. 

Edited by Windsurfboy

30 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Obviously most people quite rightly wouldn’t ask the Captain, the Staff Captain or the Chief Engineer or the Cruise Director and it's obviously pointless asking the Food & Beverage Manager, the Hotel General Manager or the Restaurant Manager... but all clients are informed how to book Speciality Restaurant on the day that they embark.

We... and about 900 other cruisers were on the same SAGA cruise... that you posted about a couple of months ago.... "Contrasts of Scandinavia" that left Dover on 21 May 2023. On embarkation day everyone received a copy of "Today" with the clear instruction almost at the top of the first page that...

"Booking Speciality Restaurants: The Club (Steakhouse), Coast to Coast (Seafood), and East to West (Asian) can be made between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm by dialling our booking line 6363. Reservations can also be made in the respective restaurants between 9.30 am to 10.30 am and in the evening between 5.30 pm to 6.15 pm in all outlets.

The entire system is digital and very sophisticated. For instance when a booking for a speciality restaurant is made and other booking... for instance a fixed table in the Grand Dining Room... is cancelled and the on the evening the reception staff on the Grand Dining Room desks are alerted by the table being flagged on the screen in a different colour... but there's a lot more to it than that.

If someone wants a fixed table, it's better to arrange that when booking the cruise or as soon as possible before departure.  Often it might be possible to arrange a fixed table on board by also by dialling 6363 9.00 am and 5.00 pm or in person in the evening between 5.30 pm to 6.15 pm in all outlets.

The members of staff on restaurant reception are, in general very well trained, skilled at what they do and we find that it's far better to deal with them rather than to "learn the uniforms" and "try to get the most senior person around."

IMG_1588.thumb.jpg.dc246397f1a967c3b8092a080f6852a8.jpg

I think most people would understand that I mean senior restaurant staff are usually very good at helping deal with queries when they come up. I know on the current SoD cruise that Mandeep (who you'll remember) had been instrumental in helping reorganise tables on a busy ship so that quieter couples didn't have to stay near a rather boisterous larger group. 

Of course it gets much easier to understand and navigate the systems as one gets used to a cruise line. It's one reason for the brand loyalty people develop after their first couple of cruises. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SaraSailing said:

I mean senior restaurant staff are usually very good at helping deal with queries when they come up.

We're sure that they are... but part of their job is also to train teams of staff to do just that.

However as far as the topic of this thread on "restaurant seating" is concerned...

SAGA's system couldn't be much clearer or easier to understand and use... in our opinion... 

Details of booking tables are delivered to cabins on the evening of the disembarkation day. Cruisers are invited to just pick up the phone in the cabin or pop along to the designated member of staff on the restaurant reception desk. In all our years of cruising with SAGA on; the Pearl II, the Sapphire, the Discovery and the Adventure, we've never had a problem and in the many years of browsing these boards, we can't remember anyone who commented that they had problem. 

On the whole, the restaurant reception desk staff are exceptionally well trained, do their best to look after customers and a change of table is well with in their capabilities. 

There's just no need to go to any fuss and bother or to look for the "the most senior person around."

There's no complicated "systems" to "navigate" and new-to-SAGA cruisers should feel confident that they can easily book tables on board from the very start of their first cruise... they don't need to take a number of cruises to"get used" to the "systems.

Cruising should be relaxing and enjoyable... SAGA works hard to make it so.

I think two things are getting mixed up. But it's all simple.

1) Booking Speciality restaurants,  which as said above by twotravellerslondon is very easy , must be done on board. Either ring the numbers given , or pop down to restaurant when open , or ask Pursers desk. Whichever you think easier. Not complicated. However on short/full cruises they do try to ensure everyone has a chance of a booking , so restrict multiple bookings. 

2) Fixed table in Grand dining room for every night (but one can still go to speciality restaurants occasionally as you can get in).  These have to be booked before you cruise, on a first come first served basis. There are fixed tables for  only 150 people. They are popular and get booked early ,  so its unlikely you can get one after you board, you'd have to be very lucky. All as explained in brochure or website.

• Thanks 1

Windsurfboy has just explained all it clearly and simply.

• The pre boarding booking of the limited number of set evening tables for the MDR has absolutely nothing to do with Britannia Club status.
  • Neither has the onboard booking of the speciality restaurants anything to do with the Britannia Club.
  • Like 1

And just for absolute clarity……. the general principle in both the MDR and the Grill is turn up at any time within opening hours and sit wherever is free with whomsoever you choose. The waiters will do their best to meet your requirements. 
The only exception to this is for those who have, before boarding, pre booked tables in the MDR for every evening. Only 150 people may do this in order to maintain freedom of choice for others.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kohima said:

And just for absolute clarity……. the general principle in both the MDR and the Grill is turn up at any time within opening hours and sit wherever is free with whomsoever you choose. The waiters will do their best to meet your requirements. 
The only exception to this is for those who have, before boarding, pre booked tables in the MDR for every evening. Only 150 people may do this in order to maintain freedom of choice for others.

That is crystal clear but it has taken a long time to get there!.

• Like 3

I am not the slightest bit surprised that people new to Saga are getting very confused about fixed tables - the Saga information does not make it at all clear.

The latest brochure simply says, "..or book a fixed table if you'd prefer the same one for the duration of your cruise". No mention of limits, or pre-arranging.

The individual ship description for Discovery, under dining does include, "If you’d like a fixed table for the duration of your cruise, please call our cruise advisors to book one. Kindly note there is a maximum of 150 fixed tables available on each cruise".

However, this is NOT mentioned on the details for Adventure.

Neither is it mentioned on the FAQ or general description.

Speaking from experience, it is perfectly acceptable to ask (the Maitre'D) while on board for a fixed table - if it is possible they will arrange it. They won't shoot you for asking.

• Like 1

Sorry the website which applies to both ships makes it very clear, in the opening of the section on dining.

"Fine dining is one of the biggest attractions of the ship, and you can look forward to a range of contrasting restaurants, all serving world-class dishes day and night. The main dining venues are The Grand Dining Room and more informal Grill, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Here, open seating is the norm, so you can dine whenever you like within the opening hours. If you’d like a fixed table for the duration of your cruise, please call our cruise advisors to book one. Kindly note there is a maximum of 150 fixed tables available on each cruise."

Edited by Windsurfboy

56 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

I am not the slightest bit surprised that people new to Saga are getting very confused about fixed tables - the Saga information does not make it at all clear.

The latest brochure simply says, "..or book a fixed table if you'd prefer the same one for the duration of your cruise". No mention of limits, or pre-arranging.

We think that the vast majority of new-to-SAGA cruisers would be far more than able to cope and make the arrangements that they wanted.

57 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

perfectly acceptable to ask (the Maitre'D

Anyone can ask the Restaurant Manager but the vast majority simply speak to the dedicated staff that have been trained to deal with these things.

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Sorry the website which applies to both ships makes it very clear, in the opening of the section on dining.

"Fine dining is one of the biggest attractions of the ship, and you can look forward to a range of contrasting restaurants, all serving world-class dishes day and night. The main dining venues are The Grand Dining Room and more informal Grill, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Here, open seating is the norm, so you can dine whenever you like within the opening hours. If you’d like a fixed table for the duration of your cruise, please call our cruise advisors to book one. Kindly note there is a maximum of 150 fixed tables available on each cruise."

Maybe it depends on the browser. On mine, both Chrome and Firefox give the above ONLY under the Discovery fine dining section.

https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/ocean/our-ships/spirit-of-discovery/fine-dining.aspx

but on the Adventure section, no mention.

https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/ocean/our-ships/spirit-of-adventure/fine-dining.aspx

and likewise, the main webpage makes no mention

https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/ocean/the-saga-experience/dining.aspx

and, as said, the current 2024 brochure does not mention it.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 12:41 PM, nosapphire said:

We always ask for a fixed table for two in the MDR, and while there is no guarantee of getting it, never been disappointed yet. On the recent cruise (full ship) our card said that after 7pm our table would be released to other guests, but - as above - this is not rigid, and I imagine has been put in place because of some guests having a fixed table but then deciding to eat in the Grill, or have room service, without bothering to let the dining room know.

We never felt we were rushed to finish our meal and vacate the table.

As far as I am aware, it is not possible to reserve a fixed table in the Grill.

There was a couple with a fixed table in the Grill on our recent cruise. 
While waiting with others for tables to be cleared and reset at lunch time, a couple went straight in stating ‘they had a fixed table’. Much to the annoyance of those of us politely waiting to be seated.

This was the day before the mid cruise feedback form. In the anything to add section it was reported. A few days later I had a phone call from one of the managers. He had got it in the neck from his boss and the gentleman would no longer have the table reserved for him.

Actually this did work for a few days but it went back to them on the same table for most meals.

So no, you should not be able to reserve a table in the Grill, BUT it does happen.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Scorpio41 said:

There was a couple with a fixed table in the Grill on our recent cruise. 
While waiting with others for tables to be cleared and reset at lunch time, a couple went straight in stating ‘they had a fixed table’. Much to the annoyance of those of us politely waiting to be seated.

This was the day before the mid cruise feedback form. In the anything to add section it was reported. A few days later I had a phone call from one of the managers. He had got it in the neck from his boss and the gentleman would no longer have the table reserved for him.

Actually this did work for a few days but it went back to them on the same table for most meals.

So no, you should not be able to reserve a table in the Grill, BUT it does happen.

The mere fact of them pushing past suggests bad manners - we usually have a fixed table in the MDR for dinner, and still wait in the queue until it is our turn to enter.

I'd be willing to bet that the couple in question made themselves so obnoxious that it was easier to give them a fixed table and not have them throwing a tantrum and disrupting everybody else.

Fortunately, the majority of us have far too much respect for the crew, other passengers, and the ship itself to behave in such a bad manner.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

The mere fact of them pushing past suggests bad manners - we usually have a fixed table in the MDR for dinner, and still wait in the queue until it is our turn to enter.

I'd be willing to bet that the couple in question made themselves so obnoxious that it was easier to give them a fixed table and not have them throwing a tantrum and disrupting everybody else.

Fortunately, the majority of us have far too much respect for the crew, other passengers, and the ship itself to behave in such a bad manner.

We're very sure that SAGA has protocols in place to deal with people who are unable to respect the fact that everyone on board has paid to have a relaxing, enjoyable holiday.

29 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

We're very sure that SAGA has protocols in place to deal with people who are unable to respect the fact that everyone on board has paid to have a relaxing, enjoyable holiday.

I'm sure you are correct. When we docked in Tilbury last month after our last cruise, as we were on the landbridge heading for the terminal we saw two rather large police officers striding purposefully towards the ship. I wondered, had someone been naughty in the last few days? Once we had left Gibraltar any miscreants couldn't be put off the ship, so possibly they would have been kept confined to cabin with a couple of security crew stationed outside. This could well be pure speculation on my part, but it looked to me like the officers clearly had some business on the ship.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2023 at 1:55 AM, FannyLiz said:

I’m booked on my first ever cruise on Spirit of Discovery in November. I am travelling solo and don’t want to be seated by myself every night. Is there any way I can ensure this doesn’t happen ? 

I did my first Saga cruise (actually 2) earlier this year. In 22 days aboard SoA, I only dined alone twice. Once was a quick lunch on the Terrace outside the Grill. It was late and not many people were around. The second time was in the Amalfi (my second visit) when I may have been the only solo and was seated at a two-top by myself. 

For dinners I either met up with other solos at the pre-dinner get-together in the Britannia Lounge or just entered the MDR and asked to share. At lunch or breakfast in the Grill, the tables are so close together that even if you are sitting alone at a two-top, you are not dining alone.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Recently returned from  my first Saga Cruise.

I've done a review for my friends on the P&O board - here's a link

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2959174-po-cruiser-does-a-saga-cruise/page/2/

It turned out that the seating arrangements for dining had a big effect on my holiday.  Is there anyone who can suggest ways for  a pair of introverts to get more enjoyment from the dining experience, because we found it quite tough, to be honest.

Here's what I said on the subject 

'

Dining Arrangements.

By way of explanation, my husband and myself are confirmed introverts, and prefer to have a table for 2.  We don't seek out the company of others, and in fact, find constant conversations with others to be quite tiring.  So all we want is a table for two where we can observe what is going on and chat quietly to each other.

The dining options are as follows

The Dining Room (MDR), The Grill (buffet, but most evenings reverts to waiter service with same menu as the MDR), Khurkuri (Nepalese speciality restaurant) Amalfi (Italian speciality restaurant) The Supper Club (steakhouse speciality restaurant, with music as you dine, Limelight Club Lite)

On the first night you are allocated a time and a place for your dinner (we were given the Grill at 7.15pm)  but after that, you can dine 'at any time you want, and with whoever you want'.  Although it is freedom dining, it is possible to book a table in the MDR before you travel, for the duration of the cruise.  This is quite limited ( I think about 125 tables), and we didn't do this as we prefer freedom.

The problem with the tables for two is that they are VERY close together.  You know the banquette seating tables on P&O, about 18 inches apart? That's actually some of the tables that are furthest apart in the Saga MDR.  On our first visit to the MDR there wasn't a single table for two left.  It was the first formal night, and we'd been to the 'welcome aboard' reception. We left before the captain finished speaking to avoid the rush, but we fairly surprised to be told that there were already no tables left. I understand now that nearly all the tables for 2 are pre-reserved.  The offered a 'sharing table' which I wasn't in the mood for, and I asked if we could come back later. The lady on the podium said we could, but she couldn't give a time or reserve anything for us.  A P&O pager would have been very useful at this point!  So we decided to go off to the Grill instead.

We did try again a few times in the evening in the MDR, going along  when the restaurant opened at 6.15pm, and we did secure a table for two, but most times is was an inch away from the next table and was more like a 4 top.  We did have conversations with people on the next table, because it seemed rude not to (I'm quiet, not rude), but it wasn't always enjoyable, and wasn't how we wanted to have our dinner.  It made me not look forward to dinner.  However, on our last visit, we had a PROPER table for two - it was right next to the kitchen, but I would have loved that table for the whole cruise.

So, if the MDR doesn't work, then move to the buffet.......  but that was more of the same, to be honest

As I said earlier, the buffet reverts to a table service restaurant in the evening, with the same menu as the MDR. There were two special evening buffets during the cruise (Irish Night and British Night) but the other nights there was no access to a buffet.  I thought that was slightly problematic for me, as I like a buffet meal from time to time in the evening as a rest from eating full meals. Indeed, it did turn out to be a problem, as, at the end of the cruise when I started feeling ill, I would have done anything to sit out on the open deck in a quiet corner away from everyone, just pecking at a few bits that I fancied as my appetite had all but disappeared.

But I digress.  The tables in the buffet are also very close together, so you end up sitting right next to someone as if it was a table for 4. We found we were eating our dinners faster that we wanted to, just so that we could move on.

During the day, the seating was also a problem, as the waiters actually show you to your seat at a   table.  One of the key features of a buffet, for me, is choice, and that includes where I sit, so I was quite fed up that the choice had been taken away from me, even at breakfast and lunch.  In the end, we had to get assertive and say 'we'll sit here' when we saw a decent table, rather than go where the waiter wanted to put us.

Regarding speciality restaurants, these are booked on board.  As this was a shorter cruise, we  were only allowed to book one to start off with, and went on the waitlist for the other two.  We eventually got into all three, and really enjoyed all of our meals.  Although, the tables aren't very far apart in either  Khukuri or Amalfi, certainly not like Sindhu or Epicurian. The Supper Club was great though, with a proper table for two.

So that's dining arrangements.   I know that a lot of people would love to opportunities to mix with others, but it's not something we really seek out. I always felt that we could have our own space on P&O when we wanted it, but it seemed be an issue for us this Saga cruise, and unfortunately had some impact on the overall enjoyment of the cruise.' 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Recently returned from  my first Saga Cruise.

I've done a review for my friends on the P&O board - here's a link

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2959174-po-cruiser-does-a-saga-cruise/page/2/

It turned out that the seating arrangements for dining had a big effect on my holiday.  Is there anyone who can suggest ways for  a pair of introverts to get more enjoyment from the dining experience, because we found it quite tough, to be honest.

Here's what I said on the subject 

'

Dining Arrangements.

By way of explanation, my husband and myself are confirmed introverts, and prefer to have a table for 2.  We don't seek out the company of others, and in fact, find constant conversations with others to be quite tiring.  So all we want is a table for two where we can observe what is going on and chat quietly to each other.

The dining options are as follows

The Dining Room (MDR), The Grill (buffet, but most evenings reverts to waiter service with same menu as the MDR), Khurkuri (Nepalese speciality restaurant) Amalfi (Italian speciality restaurant) The Supper Club (steakhouse speciality restaurant, with music as you dine, Limelight Club Lite)

On the first night you are allocated a time and a place for your dinner (we were given the Grill at 7.15pm)  but after that, you can dine 'at any time you want, and with whoever you want'.  Although it is freedom dining, it is possible to book a table in the MDR before you travel, for the duration of the cruise.  This is quite limited ( I think about 125 tables), and we didn't do this as we prefer freedom.

The problem with the tables for two is that they are VERY close together.  You know the banquette seating tables on P&O, about 18 inches apart? That's actually some of the tables that are furthest apart in the Saga MDR.  On our first visit to the MDR there wasn't a single table for two left.  It was the first formal night, and we'd been to the 'welcome aboard' reception. We left before the captain finished speaking to avoid the rush, but we fairly surprised to be told that there were already no tables left. I understand now that nearly all the tables for 2 are pre-reserved.  The offered a 'sharing table' which I wasn't in the mood for, and I asked if we could come back later. The lady on the podium said we could, but she couldn't give a time or reserve anything for us.  A P&O pager would have been very useful at this point!  So we decided to go off to the Grill instead.

We did try again a few times in the evening in the MDR, going along  when the restaurant opened at 6.15pm, and we did secure a table for two, but most times is was an inch away from the next table and was more like a 4 top.  We did have conversations with people on the next table, because it seemed rude not to (I'm quiet, not rude), but it wasn't always enjoyable, and wasn't how we wanted to have our dinner.  It made me not look forward to dinner.  However, on our last visit, we had a PROPER table for two - it was right next to the kitchen, but I would have loved that table for the whole cruise.

So, if the MDR doesn't work, then move to the buffet.......  but that was more of the same, to be honest

As I said earlier, the buffet reverts to a table service restaurant in the evening, with the same menu as the MDR. There were two special evening buffets during the cruise (Irish Night and British Night) but the other nights there was no access to a buffet.  I thought that was slightly problematic for me, as I like a buffet meal from time to time in the evening as a rest from eating full meals. Indeed, it did turn out to be a problem, as, at the end of the cruise when I started feeling ill, I would have done anything to sit out on the open deck in a quiet corner away from everyone, just pecking at a few bits that I fancied as my appetite had all but disappeared.

But I digress.  The tables in the buffet are also very close together, so you end up sitting right next to someone as if it was a table for 4. We found we were eating our dinners faster that we wanted to, just so that we could move on.

During the day, the seating was also a problem, as the waiters actually show you to your seat at a   table.  One of the key features of a buffet, for me, is choice, and that includes where I sit, so I was quite fed up that the choice had been taken away from me, even at breakfast and lunch.  In the end, we had to get assertive and say 'we'll sit here' when we saw a decent table, rather than go where the waiter wanted to put us.

Regarding speciality restaurants, these are booked on board.  As this was a shorter cruise, we  were only allowed to book one to start off with, and went on the waitlist for the other two.  We eventually got into all three, and really enjoyed all of our meals.  Although, the tables aren't very far apart in either  Khukuri or Amalfi, certainly not like Sindhu or Epicurian. The Supper Club was great though, with a proper table for two.

So that's dining arrangements.   I know that a lot of people would love to opportunities to mix with others, but it's not something we really seek out. I always felt that we could have our own space on P&O when we wanted it, but it seemed be an issue for us this Saga cruise, and unfortunately had some impact on the overall enjoyment of the cruise.' 

As you say we are all different.
We don’t mind sharing a table but sometimes we like a quiet table for two.

You don’t have to engage with your fellow travellers on the next table for two if you don’t wish too. We all like quiet times and others will respect that.

Now you have tried a Saga cruise and you know how it all works, should you choose to cruise with them again. 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We are like you, and prefer to be seated by ourselves for meals. We usually phone Saga well ahead of the cruise and ask if we can request a fixed table for 2 at dinner. There is no guarantee that the table size will happen, they pass the request to the ship and so far we have been successful (we like the tables by the kitchen/service station/storage cupboard too). A fixed dinner table works better if you prefer to eat early (we do).

We go to breakfast early in the Grill, and are usually finished before it all fills up, we do not always have a lunch but if we do, we go early to the Grill again before the main rush.

Bear in mind that although the tables for two are close together, people who take them by choice probably also prefer to eat separately, and we have found that a few polite pleasantries to say hello when sitting down, and again to say goodbye when leaving are all that is expected.

If everywhere is really busy and it is share or go without, there is always room service included in your fare; I promise myself each cruise that we will use it, so far not managed to - but the room service menu looks so inviting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scorpio41 said:

As you say we are all different.
We don’t mind sharing a table but sometimes we like a quiet table for two.

You don’t have to engage with your fellow travellers on the next table for two if you don’t wish too. We all like quiet times and others will respect that.

Now you have tried a Saga cruise and you know how it all works, should you choose to cruise with them again. 🙂

It just seems awkward and rude not to speak to somebody on a table literally an inch away, would just rather avoid the scenario in the first place ! 

52 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

We are like you, and prefer to be seated by ourselves for meals. We usually phone Saga well ahead of the cruise and ask if we can request a fixed table for 2 at dinner. There is no guarantee that the table size will happen, they pass the request to the ship and so far we have been successful (we like the tables by the kitchen/service station/storage cupboard too). A fixed dinner table works better if you prefer to eat early (we do).

We go to breakfast early in the Grill, and are usually finished before it all fills up, we do not always have a lunch but if we do, we go early to the Grill again before the main rush.

Bear in mind that although the tables for two are close together, people who take them by choice probably also prefer to eat separately, and we have found that a few polite pleasantries to say hello when sitting down, and again to say goodbye when leaving are all that is expected.

If everywhere is really busy and it is share or go without, there is always room service included in your fare; I promise myself each cruise that we will use it, so far not managed to - but the room service menu looks so inviting.

Thank you, good points, we will try to start our meals a bit earlier to avoid the rush 

On 8/26/2023 at 4:56 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

There are teams of waiters & sommeliers at different stations in restaurants, therefore you are placed in certain areas so as one team are not overrun and another team are standing around doing nothing, therefore enabling service to be more balanced. Placing people in different areas of the restaurants is common practice during the day and this is not just confined on Saga cruises either.

• Like 1