Sold Out Excursions

Insomniacs

Hi, we are first time cruisers and recently booked an Alaska cruise for September.  We started looking through the excursions and noticed some like the Skagway White Pass Rail excursion is sold out.  I did a quick search and found I can book the train directly on their website online.  I was wondering if I should just book online or if sold out excursions ever get get additional groups and can become available again.  The same applioes for other excursion too.  I notice others are sold out or in low spaces but I can usually find similar tours online.  

If you can find better prices online and see that those tour groups' times still mean you won't miss the ship in port when it comes time to leave port, then you should definitely pursue the independent tour vendors. It is in those business's interests to bring their customers back to the ship in time (but always double check!)

41 minutes ago, Insomniacs said:

Hi, we are first time cruisers and recently booked an Alaska cruise for September.  We started looking through the excursions and noticed some like the Skagway White Pass Rail excursion is sold out.  I did a quick search and found I can book the train directly on their website online.  I was wondering if I should just book online or if sold out excursions ever get get additional groups and can become available again.  The same applioes for other excursion too.  I notice others are sold out or in low spaces but I can usually find similar tours online.  

Book and early train independently.  We were in Skagway this week and was unable to book independently.  The non-ship train leaves from the center of Skagway, about 1/2 mile walk.

Try booking with Chilkoot. There bus/train combo gives you more variety of scenery. They do a great job and you will be with a small group instead of the crowds from the ship

We have found that if we wait too long to prebook excursions and they sell out they usually do not open up again after we get on board.   I think its a safe bet to book your train trip independently as everyone is on the same train.  Only down side to booking independently is if they don't get you back to the ship before they leave port you are on your own The ship will not wait.  With that said we have done both and have been ok. 

Edited by waltd

Passengers booked on the train with a Princess sponsored excursion are on the same train with those who book independently.  You'll not need to worry about not getting back in time cause if you do there will be dozens, if not hundreds, of passengers who will also be late getting back.  And booking independently is cheaper than booking through Princess.

5 hours ago, waltd said:

We have found that if we wait too long to prebook excursions and they sell out they usually do not open up again after we get on board.   

Thanks for the info.  I was afraid of that.  I was hoping they may create additional groups if excursions sell out.  I will book the Skagway Rail trip online and see what other excursions have low spaces left.

6 hours ago, Insomniacs said:

Thanks for all of the replies.  I have book the train excursion from the Skagway Rail website for the same time as the ship's excursion.  Even saved a few dollars. 

We did this.  We were on the exact same train as the princess passengers, and were walking back to the ship with them at the end of the journey (this was 13 years ago, so they may provide transportation for their passengers now but it was an easy walk, and I was pregnant with my first and had no problems).  You'll be fine.  You may want to book more independent excursions in Alaska if your family is mobile, since it's pretty easy to get around.  The alaska cruise critic board can help you find vendors.

I think we were lucky. Not Alaska, but a very very popular train journey in Flam, Norway was sold out months in advance via Princess

Absolutely no chance doing it independently because they were all gone also months in advance.

I kept checking excursions via my booking on the Princess website for the train. Eventually a wait list opened and within a few days all three of us were off the wait list & booked.

It’s the only Princess trip we are doing because it seemed the only way to possibly get spaces 

so I think if you see another Princess tour you fancy, keep checking for spaces/ wait list spaces. Enjoy your journey 😃

• 2 weeks later...

FYI: I was looking at the Princess shore excursions today and noticed that the White Pass Rail tour is available again through the ship.  It looks like they opened up 2 new time slots for it. 

So it does look like some sold out excursions can become available again.