Our Chase Sapphire Preferred card offers coverage for trip cancellation, interruption and such, but not medical. In your experience would purchasing a single trip medical plan along with the credit card coverage be sufficient? I am mostly looking for coverage if something should happen prior to the start of the vacation as well as medical coverage while traveling.

6 hours ago, biggerbearmom said:

Our Chase Sapphire Preferred card offers coverage for trip cancellation, interruption and such, but not medical. In your experience would purchasing a single trip medical plan along with the credit card coverage be sufficient? I am mostly looking for coverage if something should happen prior to the start of the vacation as well as medical coverage while traveling.

Hi biggerbearmom,

Credit card plans don't cover Pre-existing Medical Conditions coverage for yourselves, traveling companion and non-traveling family members.

As long as you don't need Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption due to Pre-existing Medical Conditions coverage for yourselves, traveling companion or non-traveling family members, then you can get a medical plan to cover you on the trip.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Forgetmenot2 said:

I paid for cruise with Chase Saphire Reserve card. Does it cover Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption if anyone knows?

Chase Sapphire Reserve Card Benefits & Rewards

google works wonders. Click the link  click on "learn more" and sign in

Benefit Overview

If your trip is cancelled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per person and $20,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.

The following information is a summary only.  Please see your Guide to Benefits for complete details.

Additional Benefit Information

Trip Cancellation provides reimbursement if a covered loss prevents you from traveling on or before the departure date and results in cancellation of the travel arrangements.

Trip Interruption provides reimbursement if a covered loss on the way to the point of departure or after departure causes interruption of your covered trip. It can also provide reimbursement if a trip is postponed due to a covered loss and certain fees are incurred if a new departure date is set.

The information below applies to both benefits. Reimbursement can be provided for pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses including passenger fares, tours and hotels.

• Covers trips when travel arrangements for a pre-paid tour, trip or vacation have been purchased with an eligible Chase card or with rewards earned on an eligible Chase card
  • Reimbursement is in excess of any travel insurance purchased, or reimbursement from the occupancy provider or common carrier such as airline, bus, cruise ship, or train

Who’s Covered

• Cardholder
  • Immediate family members (even if the Cardholder is not traveling with them)

Coverage Amount/Period

Up to $10,000 per covered trip and a maximum limit of $20,000 per occurrence and a maximum benefit amount per 12-month period of $40,000

Examples:

• A family of four charges a covered trip to their Chase card or pays with rewards earned on a Chase card for a covered trip that costs $6,000/person. If the family experiences a loss of $24,000 for the entire trip, the reimbursement would be $20,000, as that is the maximum limit per occurrence.
  • A Cardholder charges a covered trip to their Chase card or pays with rewards earned on a Chase card for a covered trip that costs $8,000. If the Cardholder experiences a loss of $8,000 for the trip, the reimbursement would be $8,000, as that is less than the maximum limit of $10,000 per covered trip.

What’s Covered

This is not an exhaustive list. Examples include:

• Accidental bodily injury, loss of life, or sickness experienced by the Cardholder, a traveling companion or an immediate family member of the Cardholder or a traveling companion
  • Severe weather that prevents the start or continuation a covered trip
  • Terrorist action or hijacking
  • Jury duty or a court subpoena that cannot be postponed or waived

What’s Not Covered

This is not an exhaustive list. Examples include:

• Travel arrangements canceled or changed by a common carrier, tour operator, or any travel agency unless the cancellation is the result of severe weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation
  • Change in plans or financial circumstances
  • A pre-existing condition
  • Traveling against the advice of a physician
  • A declared or undeclared war
  • Trips that exceed 60 days in duration are not covered
  • Financial insolvency of the Cardholder’s travel agency, tour operator, or travel supplier (please visit chase.com/disputes or call Chase Disputes at 1-888-489-8452 if your trip has been canceled due to financial insolvency)

Important Claim Information and Timeframes

• You, the Cardholder, must notify the travel supplier within 48 hours of receiving advice from a physician that travel is not medically advisable (Trip Cancellation only)
  • You must file a written claim within 20 days after the occurrence (or as soon as reasonably possible)
  • The Benefit Administrator will send you a claim form when you report your loss. You must submit a completed claim form with supporting documentation within 90 days from the date of occurrence (or as soon as reasonably possible)
Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 9:25 PM, Forgetmenot2 said:

Thanks for the info. I am still kind of debating if chase is sufficient ..

Hi Forgetmenot2,

For most people, it comes down to if they need pre-existing conditions coverage for themselves, a traveling companion or a non-traveling family member.

If any of you had any medication changes or had treatment for or been diagnosed with any medical condition that could worsen and, in turn, cause you to cancel or interrupt your trip, or that could cause you to seek treatment on your trip, you don't want to rely on Chase.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Forgetmenot2 said:

Thanks! My question is related specifically to cruise cancellation/interruption for any reason if chase reserve covers it?

No.

Cancel For Any Reason is not included in Chase Sapphire Reserve travel benefits.

Cancellation and Interruption are covered for a limited number of reasons listed in the Guide to Benefits. Medical reasons are covered only if they are not attributed to a pre-existing condition as described in the previous post.

7 minutes ago, DWAliaschief said:

I have trip canx insurance plus Med evac and medical. If I want to cover side trips how do I cover those?

Give examples of what you mean by "side trips" so we can better understand the question.

For 3rd party travel insurance, our experience has been that the coverage starts when one walks out the door of one's home, and ends when one arrives back home.

There may be limits about the number of days maximum allowed.

GC

3 hours ago, DWAliaschief said:

For example leave the ship in Vietnam and fly to Cambodia. Take a tour then fly to another port to meet the ship. A two day overnight tour to Luxor. None are ship sponsored. 

As GC stated, if you have 3rd party insurance your coverage is based on Trip Costs and begins on the day you say you're leaving your residence until you re-enter your residence.

I'm sure if Steve has more information to share or can explain better, he will.

On 7/2/2023 at 6:26 PM, klfrodo said:

As GC stated, if you have 3rd party insurance your coverage is based on Trip Costs and begins on the day you say you're leaving your residence until you re-enter your residence.

I'm sure if Steve has more information to share or can explain better, he will.

Hi klfrodo,

I can't think of anything to add. You covered it all.

Steve Dasseos

My private health insurance covers me internationally for medical needs in all countries, except on board a cruise ship. Is there an insurance option that would provide coverage for on board medical care and evacuation to land? 

27 minutes ago, Gmas2200 said:

My private health insurance covers me internationally for medical needs in all countries, except on board a cruise ship. Is there an insurance option that would provide coverage for on board medical care and evacuation to land? 

Evacuation from the ship is at no charge due to international treaties and is performed by Government entities such as Coast Guards or Navy.

I will only share my experience regarding my own health insurance that did provide international coverage. I had some very specific questions I needed answers to. This was with BC/BS.

1. Will you direct pay? No

2. If I can't cover the charges, will you work with the provider to show ability to pay or help with some upfront payment?  No

3. After I'm stabilized, will you cover bring me back home for continued care? No

4. If I should pass, will you reimburse to repatriate my remains? No

5. How do you reimburse? Usual and Customary at Out of Network rates.

6. Will you reimburse a travel partner to stay with me and travel back home? No

For these purposes, I have decided that I will continue to purchase a Primary policy that covers medical that do fill some of the gaps that BC/BS doesn't fill. I can always use my BC/BS as a backup policy to possibly be made whole in the event there are some deductibles or uncovered events in the Travel Insurance policy.

Either way, just remember that medical facilities outside the US do not direct bill your insurance company. Even the cruise ship. You will be expected to pay upfront and then file for reimbursement.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...

Not really.

Have you investigated/read exactly what your CC will cover and its' limits???

Possibly not given the question at hand.

A few threads (I searched for you) to read as they 'may' shed some light on your posit:

Just a few to start and you can do a search to find additional questions/answers for those who are looking for 'economical' ways to insure their trip.

Good luck and bon voyage

I have a CSR but that's not what I depend on for coverages. I choose to see it as risk management. If I have to cancel a cruise and I lose the cost of the cruise, or a major part of the cost, I will not be financially devastated.

On the other hand, a medical emergency could cause financial hardship. Therefore, I do get coverage. I still purchase a comprehensive plan though. I only cover my trip cost at $500 per person. Doing that, I still get the $100K of primary medical coverage, I also get 150% of trip cost ($750) to help with any Trip Interruption or Trip delay I may run into. (My cost for the policy I choose is about $38 per person).

Note: Being able to do this may depend on the regulations of the State you reside in. You probably need to speak with a broker like Steve at TripInsuranceStore to see what works for you.

• Like 1