NCL Alaska Cruise Tour brochure Schedule accuracy?

df5250

Hi everyone. For those who have done the NCL Land Tours, I am wondering how accurate the schedule is that NCL sends out in the Alaska Cruise Tours brochure? I am taking the Denali Talkeetna Explorer land tour first, then the SB cruise on the Jewel.  I am exploring additional sightseeing opportunities at each of our stops along the way (Fairbanks, Denali & Talkeetna) to Seward. 

I want to book some things in advance but am hesitating around the schedule, especially where I have to book exact tour times or pick up times. I am exploring transportation options too.

Fairbanks example, Chena Hot Springs and North Pole Alaska, and squeezing both in, one after arriving on Day 1, and the other after day 2 scheduled activities. My flight lands around 2:30PM Day 1, and our Scheduled Tours return to the Hotel 4PM Day 2. Both days puts me at an evening schedule to do other things. 

I am realistic in that I want to plan as much as possible but know in reality that I may not fit everything in! 

Any experience would be greatly appreciated!  

Thanks in advance!!

Debbie

• Like 2

I generally dislike inclusive tours, in part for the very reason stated: loss of control during the tour. For that reason I typically prefer arranging regularly scheduled transportation, around which I can reliably fit in those things that I want to do. (Another reason I generally dislike inclusive tours is that I do not like being herded around.) Might it be practicable to arrange regularly scheduled transportation instead of doing the NCL-packaged tour?

Driving times in Alaska can be somewhat deceptive.  I am curious as to what hotel NCL uses in Fairbanks but for reference the driving time from our home on Chena Ridge to the Chena Hot Springs Resort is two hours -- each way and even during the summer.

Since you have specific attractions you want to visit I wonder if a packaged tour is the best choice for you.

I have not been on an NCL cruisetour, but we did take an RCCL cruisetour.   They told us practically nothing ahead of time but once we were on the land tour I thought it was well organized and we enjoyed it a lot.  Both the bus driver and the guide added a lot to our experience.    In terms of times, not sure how accurate the brochure is, but I do know that others in our group did what you are planning... booking some things on your own.  Our guide on the bus was very helpful.. made a lot of phone calls on behalf of the guests confirming times, answering questions, etc... even for those that booked on their own.  I got the sense he knew all the tour operators by name.   Keep in mind this is not a ship with 3000 people but a bus with 30.  Your guide will get to know you and likely will know roughly your plans and have your phone number.  

As others have said if you want full control, you could drive yourself and schedule everything that meets your needs - and you don't need to worry about departure times.   However, for us, there were benefits to taking the tour and we had a great time.

4 hours ago, GTJ said:

I generally dislike inclusive tours, in part for the very reason stated: loss of control during the tour. For that reason I typically prefer arranging regularly scheduled transportation, around which I can reliably fit in those things that I want to do. (Another reason I generally dislike inclusive tours is that I do not like being herded around.) Might it be practicable to arrange regularly scheduled transportation instead of doing the NCL-packaged tour?

3 hours ago, AKStafford said:

Instead of the prepackaged cruise line tour, what about traveling independently and putting together your own great trip?

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

Driving times in Alaska can be somewhat deceptive.  I am curious as to what hotel NCL uses in Fairbanks but for reference the driving time from our home on Chena Ridge to the Chena Hot Springs Resort is two hours -- each way and even during the summer.

Since you have specific attractions you want to visit I wonder if a packaged tour is the best choice for you.

8 minutes ago, CCJack said:

I have not been on an NCL cruisetour, but we did take an RCCL cruisetour.   They told us practically nothing ahead of time but once we were on the land tour I thought it was well organized and we enjoyed it a lot.  Both the bus driver and the guide added a lot to our experience.    In terms of times, not sure how accurate the brochure is, but I do know that others in our group did what you are planning... booking some things on your own.  Our guide on the bus was very helpful.. made a lot of phone calls on behalf of the guests confirming times, answering questions, etc... even for those that booked on their own.  I got the sense he knew all the tour operators by name.   Keep in mind this is not a ship with 3000 people but a bus with 30.  Your guide will get to know you and likely will know roughly your plans and have your phone number.  

As others have said if you want full control, you could drive yourself and schedule everything that meets your needs - and you don't need to worry about departure times.   However, for us, there were benefits to taking the tour and we had a great time.

thank you everyone for the thoughtful responses!   I am already booked, locked and loaded so to speak, arriving July 26th! This is my very first inclusive tour. I usually do all the research and book everything independently, but I booked this one later than usual.  I am also going solo and I wanted to be with a group. Time will tell if this will be my first and last inclusive/group tour! lol.  Thanks again!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, df5250 said:

Time will tell if this will be my first and last inclusive/group tour!

It will be a different type of experience, and I would urge you approach it, at least initially, with an open mind.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the same tour with you.  Also looked at the Chena Hot Springs.  The good thing is that they are open until midnight.  Not sure about transportation getting there though.  I looked at the North Pole as well, but they close at 6 pm so wasn't sure if that would be enough time.  We arrive around 3 pm on the 26th so will probably have the same transportation to the Bear Lodge.  

6 minutes ago, tpnebraska said:

We are on the same tour with you.  Also looked at the Chena Hot Springs.  The good thing is that they are open until midnight.  Not sure about transportation getting there though.  I looked at the North Pole as well, but they close at 6 pm so wasn't sure if that would be enough time.  We arrive around 3 pm on the 26th so will probably have the same transportation to the Bear Lodge.  

Sounds like we’ll be on the same transportation to the resort.  There is a shuttle to/from Chema Hot Springs Resort, but schedule is not great. Could take the 5PM shuttle there. coming back would catch the last shuttle at 10pm. It doesn’t allow for a lot of time at the hot spring, but may be what I do.  

25 minutes ago, df5250 said:

Sounds like we’ll be on the same transportation to the resort.  There is a shuttle to/from Chema Hot Springs Resort, but schedule is not great. Could take the 5PM shuttle there. coming back would catch the last shuttle at 10pm. It doesn’t allow for a lot of time at the hot spring, but may be what I do.  

Looks like I found you on 2 different boards 🙂  I just asked you on our Roll Call if you had researched Chena Hot Springs, and now I have my answer!! Is the shuttle you mention the hotel shuttle?

15 minutes ago, tpnebraska said:

Looks like I found you on 2 different boards 🙂  I just asked you on our Roll Call if you had researched Chena Hot Springs, and now I have my answer!! Is the shuttle you mention the hotel shuttle?

Yes. I am in our roll call too!  I thought I recognized your cc username! It is the Chena Hot springs Resort shuttle, not one through our resort.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 12:49 PM, df5250 said:

Hi everyone. For those who have done the NCL Land Tours, I am wondering how accurate the schedule is that NCL sends out in the Alaska Cruise Tours brochure? I am taking the Denali Talkeetna Explorer land tour first, then the SB cruise on the Jewel.  I am exploring additional sightseeing opportunities at each of our stops along the way (Fairbanks, Denali & Talkeetna) to Seward. 

I want to book some things in advance but am hesitating around the schedule, especially where I have to book exact tour times or pick up times. I am exploring transportation options too.

Fairbanks example, Chena Hot Springs and North Pole Alaska, and squeezing both in, one after arriving on Day 1, and the other after day 2 scheduled activities. My flight lands around 2:30PM Day 1, and our Scheduled Tours return to the Hotel 4PM Day 2. Both days puts me at an evening schedule to do other things. 

I am realistic in that I want to plan as much as possible but know in reality that I may not fit everything in! 

Any experience would be greatly appreciated!  

Thanks in advance!!

Debbie

We are on this same tour the end of August.  If you can, and don't mind, could you let us know what you ended up doing for the unplanned time on the tours. It would be very much appreciated. Hope you are having a fabulous time!!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 7:00 PM, tpnebraska said:

I assume that you are aware the the North Pole is not The North Pole but is just a rinky town where you can buy Christmas decorations on July 4.

North Pole is a small Alaskan city, near Fairbanks. It's known for its year-round Christmas decorations, including candy cane–striped street lights. Santa Claus House is a Christmas store with walls covered in children’s letters to Santa and a huge Santa statue outside. Streets have names like Kris Kringle Drive and Mistletoe Lane

DON

On 8/4/2023 at 5:07 AM, chris153 said:

We are on this same tour the end of August.  If you can, and don't mind, could you let us know what you ended up doing for the unplanned time on the tours. It would be very much appreciated. Hope you are having a fabulous time!!

Hi. The schedule worked out just about what is in the brochure!  On day 1, Fairbanks, I took the 6PM shuttle to Chena Hot Springs.  I took the 10PM shuttle back to the resort.  I booked everything in advance through Chena Hot Springs resort. On Day 2, our guide and driver (Autumn and Chris) added a stop at North Pole because so many had asked about it.  They also stopped at Walmart so we could pick up provisions!  We were back in time to have another excursion. I didn’t have one booked. I had drinks with some new friends and then dinner and went to bed!

in Denali, I booked Denali Jeep excursion for 6PM pick up. Second night I booked Horse drawn covered wagon and dinner for 6:15 pickup. There was plenty of time for both.

In Talkeetna, I booked Mahays Jet boat for 6 PM pick up.  I felt a little rushed to try to grab dinner and enjoy the views of Denali, so if you can get a later time for your planned excursion then think about that. I hope you have an amazing trip!! Mine is nearly over and it was the best trip I have ever been on!!

2 hours ago, df5250 said:

Hi. The schedule worked out just about what is in the brochure!  On day 1, Fairbanks, I took the 6PM shuttle to Chena Hot Springs.  I took the 10PM shuttle back to the resort.  I booked everything in advance through Chena Hot Springs resort. On Day 2, our guide and driver (Autumn and Chris) added a stop at North Pole because so many had asked about it.  They also stopped at Walmart so we could pick up provisions!  We were back in time to have another excursion. I didn’t have one booked. I had drinks with some new friends and then dinner and went to bed!

in Denali, I booked Denali Jeep excursion for 6PM pick up. Second night I booked Horse drawn covered wagon and dinner for 6:15 pickup. There was plenty of time for both.

In Talkeetna, I booked Mahays Jet boat for 6 PM pick up.  I felt a little rushed to try to grab dinner and enjoy the views of Denali, so if you can get a later time for your planned excursion then think about that. I hope you have an amazing trip!! Mine is nearly over and it was the best trip I have ever been on!!

You are the best!! Thank you so much for this info.  We get in late the first night in Fairbanks, but Could do the hot springs the second night?  I Think we may try to book the jet boat too. Did they pick up from hotel?  Looks like you had good weather tool  Can't wait for our trip.  Thankyou again!!

2 hours ago, chris153 said:

You are the best!! Thank you so much for this info.  We get in late the first night in Fairbanks, but Could do the hot springs the second night?  I Think we may try to book the jet boat too. Did they pick up from hotel?  Looks like you had good weather tool  Can't wait for our trip.  Thankyou again!!

Every tour picked up from the hotels! You definitely could do the hot springs the second night! All pickups were free except the hot springs!  It is a good hour to hour and a half ride each way!  Look for moose!! We didn’t see any on my ride!   Our weather was amazing! It was warmer than usual every place we went! Only rained the second night we were in Denali!   If the sun sets while you’re there… you might get to see the northern lights!! 

On 8/4/2023 at 12:47 PM, donaldsc said:

I assume that you are aware the the North Pole is not The North Pole but is just a rinky town where you can buy Christmas decorations on July 4.

North Pole is a small Alaskan city, near Fairbanks. It's known for its year-round Christmas decorations, including candy cane–striped street lights. Santa Claus House is a Christmas store with walls covered in children’s letters to Santa and a huge Santa statue outside. Streets have names like Kris Kringle Drive and Mistletoe Lane

DON

What?  Now I suppose you are going to tell me Santa isn't real either 🙂

• Haha 1

On 8/6/2023 at 4:01 PM, df5250 said:

I hope our tour makes a stop in North Pole...would love to tell my Grandkids I was there and take a few pictures....

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 8:07 AM, chris153 said:

We did the ATV (Side by side) in Denali and the Jet Boat in Talkeetna.  If you are on the land tour, you don't need to do the Jet Boat as it is a lot of the same information.

Extra Excursions Denali Explorer Southbound.pdf

1 hour ago, tpnebraska said:

We did the ATV (Side by side) in Denali and the Jet Boat in Talkeetna.  If you are on the land tour, you don't need to do the Jet Boat as it is a lot of the same information.

Extra Excursions Denali Explorer Southbound.pdf 20.86 MB · 0 downloads

I actually booked the side by side in Denali   Thanks for getting back to me.  

• 8 months later...