Single cruiser’s

pzsdd6

I am wondering if anyone has encountered difficulties trying to make a booking for a single cruiser? I’m hoping that’s is just me an a user error, however every booking I have tried for the next 4-5 months in the Caribbean gives a pop up message stating the cruise is fully booked. If you try with 2 people, no problem. Again, I hope it’s something I’m doing incorrectly, otherwise I’m going to be really offended that they have chosen to treat single cruisers this way, definitely not the right thing to do. I will add this for clarity, I have no issue with paying the usual single supplement, but to purposefully exclude singles…..not right, just my opinion.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, pzsdd6 said:

I am wondering if anyone has encountered difficulties trying to make a booking for a single cruiser? I’m hoping that’s is just me an a user error, however every booking I have tried for the next 4-5 months in the Caribbean gives a pop up message stating the cruise is fully booked. If you try with 2 people, no problem. Again, I hope it’s something I’m doing incorrectly, otherwise I’m going to be really offended that they have chosen to treat single cruisers this way, definitely not the right thing to do. I will add this for clarity, I have no issue with paying the usual single supplement, but to purposefully exclude singles…..not right, just my opinion.

It’s not just you. MSC apparently limits the number of solo cruisers on each sailing. Up until a few months ago, there were lots of cruises with solo options available. Now they are limited and the solo supplements have increased from 0-20% to 50-80%, when available. 

I’m not sure you can even book solo by paying double by calling MSC or using a travel agent. Some have reported adding someone to the booking and having them be a “no show” at boarding as a possible option to not being able to book solo originally. You would obviously be paying double, but may get reimbursed the taxes / port fees for the 2nd person who didn’t board.

It’s been addressed here before.  You can do it several months out, but not last minute.  If trying to book on a ship that has solo cabins, the excuse is that there are not any singles left.  If the ship doesn’t have singles, there is really no excuse given.  It happens on other lines, too.  I have been denied on Carnival and Celebrity also.  EM

5 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Some have reported adding someone to the booking and having them be a “no show” at boarding as a possible option to not being able to book solo originally. You would obviously be paying double, but may get reimbursed the taxes / port fees for the 2nd person who didn’t board.

Just be aware that MSC are aware of that tactic and current terms permit them to charge an additional single supplement for the remaining passenger and the cancelled 'ghost' forfeits their payment under the normal penalties for cancellation at that late stage.

Everyone plays games with single cabins since the business model means getting more people onboard to upsell them various items onboard means they genuinely don’t want too many cabins sailing with just a single person.  

My wife could not attend a recent MSC cruise we booked so I went alone. The change occurred after the final date for any refunds so I knew I was not entitled to any money back. So I did not inform MSC of the change until I showed up at the cruise terminal and informed the Rep that she couldn't make it. No questions were asked about why. The next day on the ship I checked with Reception to make sure they knew she wasn't there so that I would only be charged gratuities x 1. They did know and indeed my bill only contained gratuities for one. (I am still battling with MSC over a refund for the previously booked excursions she did not take.)

Edited by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH

9 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

(I am still battling with MSC over a refund for the previously booked excursions she did not take.)

Most excursions can be cancelled without penalty as long as you do it at least 48 hours before the excursion, if you did that, and the excursion wasn't one of the exceptions, you should have got a credit to your onboard account while you were still on the ship?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Most excursions can be cancelled without penalty as long as you do it at least 48 hours before the excursion, if you did that, and the excursion wasn't one of the exceptions, you should have got a credit to your onboard account while you were still on the ship?

Yes, they were all cancelled more than 48 hours out. I received a refund for one of the excursions and the "battle" is over two others.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, B_A_H said:

Here's a shortcut to find single availability and pricing.  After make an initial availability request, change what's show from 2 to 1. 

image.thumb.png.6aeb2c076ab8bc3283e0ed726aa9585f.png

As soon as I have done that, it comes up nothing available.  EM

Then either:  A) there's nothing available for the filters you're applying, or B) you aren't doing it right. 

What's displayed is availability based on one person in the cabin.  MSC blocks single occupancy on many sailings so "nothing available" could be a valid response. 

Just to recap, all anyone's doing is changing the "2" (default) preceding the percentage sign with a "1."

Thank you for all the responses and suggestions. Took me a minute to get back here. Seriously, I’m making fun of this but I’ve check quite a few places and the results are the same, the cruise lines, most of them, have just eliminated or quashed single category. One TA told me that’s it’s not just the supplement but the cruise lines count on the additional money they “expect” each cruiser to spend while on the trip. Sell, sell, sell! I mean I get it but I have to say it definitely plays a huge part in deciding where to next spend my cruise travel dollars. State of the business…….😤

I would Suggest NCL for Single Cruisers. Several of their ships have "Studio Cabins" which are meant for solo cruisers. We are going on a NCL cruise in January and one of our friends is coming and booked a Studio. All in Drink package, Specialty dining it was $1600 for Seven night