Favorite foods/dishes on NCL (within the past year or two)

GORDONCHICK

30 minutes ago, frayedend said:

That looks great too and I also have Le Bistro booked next week.  I picked the right 2 restaurants for sure.  Keto diet is out the window next week.

We HAVE to go to Cagney's and LeBistro.  The others are up in the air!  We will be on the Joy, so if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

• Like 1

I neglected to mention the dessert we had in Le Bistro.  Ever since I saw Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn have it in "Desk Set" I wanted to try Floating Island or Ile Flontante as they call it.  It was great!  Worthy of two screen legends!

Elvis

Edited by Elvis1209
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

I ❤️ crème brûlée too!!  We have only cruised post Covid but it’s been on the menu since at least  Oct. 2021.  I thought the Ile Flontante in LeBistro was very similar to a crème brûlée only lighter.  It had a crunchy top and a creamy meringue below it.  You should try that if you can.

9AD36C26-4921-4368-B22F-7921341CAC46.jpeg

See?  I'm not the only one!!!!

Elvis

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

We HAVE to go to Cagney's and LeBistro.  The others are up in the air!  We will be on the Joy, so if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

We chose Ocean Blue over Cagney's -- shouldn't have done that. 

2 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

Never been to Ocean Blue.  We have 4 specialties, but I have no problem repeating Cagney's & LeBistro.

Don't discount Ocean Blue. We just ordered the wrong things and would rather have chosen Cagney's. On Joy, there is no reason to double up. There are many other options we look forward to trying on Encore next April.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Elvis1209 said:

I neglected to mention the dessert we had in Le Bistro.  Ever since I saw Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn have it in "Desk Set" I wanted to try Floating Island or Ile Flontante as they call it.  It was great!  Worthy of two screen legends!

Elvis

That is my reason for wanting to try it as well!  😁👍

53 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

Never been to Ocean Blue.  We have 4 specialties, but I have no problem repeating Cagney's & LeBistro.

Try Food Republic if that is cuisine you like.  It’s more casual but great food.  Take a look at their menu.  You get 4 items per person and it’s a lot of food.  The sushi rolls were good.  But two things I loved were the Firecracker Shrimp (simple, but basically fresh shrimp elongated in a fried wonton wrapper) with sweet Thai chili sauce, and I really really liked the flavor of the Shitake & water Chestnut Dumplings…amazing flavor blend.  Bon appetite 😋

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Try Food Republic if that is cuisine you like.  It’s more casual but great food.  Take a look at their menu.  You get 4 items per person and it’s a lot of food.  The sushi rolls were good.  But two things I loved were the Firecracker Shrimp (simple, but basically fresh shrimp elongated in a fried wonton wrapper) with sweet Thai chili sauce, and I really really liked the flavor of the Shitake & water Chestnut Dumplings…amazing flavor blend.  Bon appetite 😋

Not a sushi person at all, but the firecracker shrimp sounds like it's right up my alley.

57 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

Not a sushi person at all, but the firecracker shrimp sounds like it's right up my alley.

Sushi is one option at Food Republic, but just one option of many! They have SUCH a great variety of different types of dishes and cuisines. Definitely one of our favorites when we sail on a ship that has it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, laudergayle said:

@GORDONCHICK @frayedend @UKstages @cruiseny4life  calling all true NY style cheesecake lovers.  If you haven’t tried the OMG Butterscotch Cheesecake in Cagney’s…you must!!  Also Onda ricotta cheesecake is good…but not nearly as good as Cagney’s…IMO.

F1646B3C-33B5-471E-B749-22217C638B0C.jpeg

This reminds me! They serve the OMG Cheesecake in Haven. I have had it there and you're right - it's dense and yummy! I do get it plain as I am not a fan of caramel. It is really quite good and I'm pretty sure is the same cheesecake as Cagney's serves. It is oh so yummy...mmm, yes I want this right now. Thanks for the yummy reminder!!

As for the "tostados:" Those chips, yep, that's exactly what they were...dancing as Tostados were served in the Main Dining Room as an appetizer during a dinner service. I went to the dining room for something, either chicken parmesan or chicken cordon bleu. Let's just say the tortilla chips stole the show. Seriously, they were that good! I'm hopeful I'll find them again on some future cruise. 

A small aside, is it tostadO or tostadA? I'm seeing both when I look up the spelling in Google. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, laudergayle said:

@cruiseny4life those “tortilla chips”  (lol) look amazingly fresh and delish.  It is silly how small they are!!  Were they served in the Haven?

image.jpeg.3e2d4f3db0282e1be73076cc1b96b985.jpeg

I can’t answer for cruiseny4life, but I had this appetizer on the Breakaway in 2020 in the Manhattan restaurant, and it was excellent.

It is listed as Ranchero Beef mini tostadas on the night 5 main dining room 2023 menus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

If I were sailing Joy again....will you please take me along? I won't fit neatly, but I'll fit in an XXLarge suitcase! And I promise I won't say a word.

Anyway, I'd definitely make another trip to Food Republic and Q. We sailed Joy in March and those two restaurants were very good. As a whole they weren't OMGosh amazin, but they were better than expected. I'm not going to review the food here - I'll point you to my very (too) long post from the March trip which includes photos. In that review I was somewhat picky. Not all the dishes were to my liking and (as you'll read - if you read my blather), you'll notice I was quite perturbed by the prices. I would not recommend paying a la carte at any NCL specialty restaurant (but that's just my cheap self). 

See Posts 326 and 329 for Food Republic and Q, respectively. It should open to page 14 which is where both of those posts are.

11 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Ok, I'm really upset we didn't get the Firecracker Shrimp. Ugh! They sound sooooo good - I've had them other places so I know it's yummy!

9 hours ago, Dorhead1230 said:

Sushi is one option at Food Republic, but just one option of many! They have SUCH a great variety of different types of dishes and cuisines. Definitely one of our favorites when we sail on a ship that has it.

We did have three (I think) sushi rolls, but we tried all the other food too. Lots of options, so definitely still be sure to try out Food Republic. It's really great even if you don't want sushi. IF you don't like fish (my husband) you can customize the sushi by only getting shrimp and no tuna on some of the rolls. At least, we were able to. Hopefully you can too! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, justhappy said:

I can’t answer for cruiseny4life, but I had this appetizer on the Breakaway in 2020 in the Manhattan restaurant, and it was excellent.

It is listed as Ranchero Beef mini tostadas on the night 5 main dining room 2023 menus

THAT'S IT!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

A small aside, is it tostadO or tostadA? I'm seeing both when I look up the spelling in Google. 

People also ask

Is it tostada or tostado?

noun,plural tos·ta·das [toh-stah-duhz; Spanish taws-tah-thahs]. Mexican Cooking. a tortilla fried until crisp and usually topped with a variety of ingredients, as shredded meat or chicken, refried beans, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese.

at least according to Google…lol
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dorhead1230 said:

We found it a great option when 1 of our 4 was up for sushi but another member of the group wouldn't really want more than 1 or 2 pieces of it.  The theme is a little more disjointed than for the other specialty dining restaurants, but you definitely don't go hungry; the 4 of us really couldn't get through more than 12 items between us and everything was good if not great. My favourite would have to be the black cod skewers.

• Like 2

Great thread!  I am making notes for my upcoming cruise.

I have only been on one other NCL cruise and it was in 2015, but I remember loving the grilled pineapple at Moderno and the meal I had at Le Bistro.  I also remember loving the truffle fries at Cagneys. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Ribs at Q were excellent!!!!

IMG_0841.jpeg

That pic appears to be brisket, no?  Unless it's beef ribs with the meat sliced off the bone for you (which is totally normal).  It actually looks pretty darned good for ship food.  I'm a bbq guy so I'm very particular and hadn't thought of trying bbq on a cruise ship.  But that honestly looks better than most BBQ restaurants.

• Thanks 1