Taking lactose free milk on Carnival - advice please

We are heading on Carnival Splendor this week. My son has recently been diagnosed lactose intolerant- this is the first cruise since the diagnosis. I have seen people onboard with their own milk. 
I know the cruise line will provide lactose free milk but I don’t want to have to ask everywhere we go. 
My question is: 

1. Can I bring my own UHT milk?

2. If so, do I have to carry it on with me or can I pack it on the suitcase?

Thanks for any suggestions! 

Not sure about Carnival but other cruise lines do have lactose free milk available and never had a problem obtaining. We have low fat lactose free so take with us.

Please put in carry on, last cruise in April, we put it in our luggage and we ended us many hours later having our bags checked. Lesson learned by us.

18 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Not sure about Carnival but other cruise lines do have lactose free milk available and never had a problem obtaining. We have low fat lactose free so take with us.

Please put in carry on, last cruise in April, we put it in our luggage and we ended us many hours later having our bags checked. Lesson learned by us.

Thanks, just what I wanted to know. 😊

Took my own grass fed butter on Splendor a couple of weeks ago, had it in carry on, no questions asked. They serve this disgusting tasting "butter" in the dining room, it's a mix of vegetable oils mixed with something. If you don't eat seed oils/margarine etc you will taste the difference.

Have also taken long life cream in carry on, no probs. 

• Like 1

By their own terms it is contraband, but there is rarely an issue taking aboard. As mentioned, take in carry-on. Security will likely want to inspect it, so even better to have it separate in a disposable carry bag.

It has been a while for us, but they did have it on Spirit a few years back - dining room, buffet & the main coffee bar.

3 minutes ago, arxcards said:

By their own terms it is contraband, but there is rarely an issue taking aboard. As mentioned, take in carry-on. Security will likely want to inspect it, so even better to have it separate in a disposable carry bag.

It has been a while for us, but they did have it on Spirit a few years back - dining room, buffet & the main coffee bar.

Security have never checked our milk, but always in carry on. Last cruise, not sure how it happened but it went in luggage. 5 hours later we get the dreaded message to go down to security.Once we told them what it was, they didn’t even want to see the milk. Just wasted time when we could have unpacked before dinner!

They definitely have lactose free and many other types of milk but not no fat.In saying that I have mixed the full cream with a little skim and a drop of water (I know sounds terrible) and my husband had no reaction and tasted fine in coffee.

Edited by resordanis
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Security have never checked our milk, but always in carry on. Last cruise, not sure how it happened but it went in luggage. 5 hours later we get the dreaded message to go down to security.Once we told them what it was, they didn’t even want to see the milk. Just wasted time when we could have unpacked before dinner!

They definitely have lactose free and many other types of milk but not no fat.In saying that I have mixed the full cream with a little skim and a drop of water (I know sounds terrible) and my husband had no reaction and tasted fine in coffee.

I can't say we have had any UHT milk checked, as we have never taken any on. It is all luck of the draw though, as it all rides with the person on the X-ray machine. Anything we think they will want to check, such as cans of soft drink, we just put through separately in a shopping bag as it saves the need for unpacking/repacking the carry-on.

And since our first cruise, we have never packed liquids in our luggage. Not a good sign when your bag is dripping in the corridor.

24 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I can't say we have had any UHT milk checked, as we have never taken any on. It is all luck of the draw though, as it all rides with the person on the X-ray machine. Anything we think they will want to check, such as cans of soft drink, we just put through separately in a shopping bag as it saves the need for unpacking/repacking the carry-on.

And since our first cruise, we have never packed liquids in our luggage. Not a good sign when your bag is dripping in the corridor.

All exactly true!

2 minutes ago, Jandex said:

I will take small boxes of UHT and will pack them separately in my hand luggage. I’ll report back after the cruise if there were any issues. 

Does your son only require full cream milk? If so I think you will be fine. You could also contact Special Needs to confirm too. Just an idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1