On the Way to Drydock

Smitheroo

9 hours ago, omahabob said:

Grand Bahama is one island in the Bahamas. The dry dock is in Freeport. Ships sail to wherever there's a dry dock available when needed. If they all waited for one nearby, they could wait a long time.

Ok. But a dry dock is not like a Jiffy Lube and you pull in the next available stall. The dry dock, trades, and most importantly material is booked well in advance. Engineering plans are drafted, reviewed and approved years in advance. And depending on what is available, not all plans are actually executed. At one point, there are plans drafted to have the sports complex and ropes course removed from the Escape and replaced with a go kart track. Then the pandemic came and those plans were not executed. 

We sailed after a dry dock, and as part of that maintenance, they had to cut a big hole in the hull and remove and replace two engines. Not something you do on a whim when space is available. And we underwent mini sea trials during our cruise including full speed accelerations and emergency stops with the new engines. Disquieting for some, fascinating for cruise enthusiasts. 

• Like 1

We did POA after drydock.  Lots of fumes from varnish.  Things not open.  Spa closed for solid month.  They did give a credit though.  Delayed one day departure.  Full refunds of some items for a few of us took 16 MONTHS.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, aero777 said:

On the NCL Joy the closest thing to a dome over a pool is the Haven pool with the retractable roof. There is a huge hot tub in Spice H2O that would be perfect for crossing the pond in January.  

I dont know about the hot tub in Spice H2O but there were a few people in each hot tub on the pool deck on the Joy.  Dont care for the idea of getting in a relatively small tub with hot water and strangers.

The situation I was describing with the dome over the pool was not NCL, it was the Queen Mary.

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Ok. But a dry dock is not like a Jiffy Lube and you pull in the next available stall. The dry dock, trades, and most importantly material is booked well in advance....

Yes, they are booked well in sdvance, with whatever dry dock is available that suits their purpose. Sometimes it will be close to where the ship will be, and sometimes it won't. Pulling into the 'next available stall' really isn't feasible, except maybe in an emergency. And even then it may not be that simple.

Edited by omahabob

36 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Sometimes, but not always.  Always check the cruise schedule for your ship for the month prior to your cruise and the month after.  If there is a gap, forewarned is forearmed.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind

On 6/28/2023 at 4:09 PM, The Traveling Man said:

Several folks have posted that recommendation here on CC.  I am one who did.  We were on the Getaway in 2019 on an Atlantic crossing from New York to Southampton.  About a week before sailing, we received an email advising us that our 12 day cruise was being cut to just 10 days.  Two of the most desirable ports of call were being eliminated so the ship could get to dry dock two days earlier than previously scheduled.  A massive email campaign by members of our CC Roll Call managed to get NCL to restore the two ports, but it was at the expense of two less desirable ports.  We still only got a 10 day cruise.  NCL did offer some compensation for the lost ports, but it still altered our travel plans and was less than an ideal resolution of the case. 

I was on that cruise as well. Three itinerary changes in one week. What a disaster. The only saving grace was I made it to Normandy and Omaha Beach. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vwlmember said:

I was on that cruise as well. Three itinerary changes in one week. What a disaster. The only saving grace was I made it to Normandy and Omaha Beach. 

NCL does deserve some credit for quickly responding to customer complaints about the itinerary changes.  They announced the change from 12 days to 10 on Good Friday around noon Eastern Time.  They received many complaints from unhappy passengers.  NCL worked throughout the Easter weekend to restore the stops at Zeebrugge and Le Havre, while eliminating the port stops at Ponta Delgada and Portland, England.

8 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

NCL does deserve some credit for quickly responding to customer complaints about the itinerary changes.  They announced the change from 12 days to 10 on Good Friday around noon Eastern Time.  They received many complaints from unhappy passengers.  NCL worked throughout the Easter weekend to restore the stops at Zeebrugge and Le Havre, while eliminating the port stops at Ponta Delgada and Portland, England.

Yeah, um.......no. Responding to a situation your created, twice, does not deserve any form of accolade. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, vwlmember said:

Yeah, um.......no. Responding to a situation your created, twice, does not deserve any form of accolade. 

Usually NCL would simply plug along with the announced changes in an itinerary.  My point was that on this occasion they actually did respond to feedback from their customers.  More to the point, some folks at NCL worked through the Easter weekend to reschedule the ports of call.  It was a less than a completely desirable result, to be sure, but I do tip my hat to them for at least trying to make lemonade out of a pile of lemons.  I choose to cut them some slack.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Usually NCL would simply plug along with the announced changes in an itinerary.  My point was that on this occasion they actually did respond to feedback from their customers.  More to the point, some folks at NCL worked through the Easter weekend to reschedule the ports of call.  It was a less than a completely desirable result, to be sure, but I do tip my hat to them for at least trying to make lemonade out of a pile of lemons.  I choose to cut them some slack.

I agree with you but I would have been happier if they kept Ponta Delgado. Switching to the northern route was COLD! I walked outside from the spa to the buffet one morning and my wet hair froze!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

I agree with you but I would have been happier if they kept Ponta Delgado. Switching to the northern route was COLD! I walked outside from the spa to the buffet one morning and my wet hair froze!

But the northern route meant that we sailed almost directly above the Titanic.  Remember all the passengers cringing when Captain Roger (Jolly Roger?) made that announcement?

• Like 1